House Price Crash Forum

How To Prepare For 2010

DabHand

HOLA441

Lets not debate whether a depression will happen in 2010. Lets assume for a moment that it WILL happen.

So we have the enormous benefit of 3-4 yrs to prepare. What would YOU do both financially and otherwise?

Answers can range from investments to choice of gun, bunker and selection of Fray Bentos pies.

HOLA442

Lets not debate whether a depression will happen in 2010. Lets assume for a moment that it WILL happen.

So we have the enormous benefit of 3-4 yrs to prepare. What would YOU do both financially and otherwise?

Answers can range from investments to choice of gun, bunker and selection of Fray Bentos pies.

So far as I remeber a joint US-Russian mission to Jupiter happens to see what happened in 2001, they meet the spirit of HAL and Dave who are representing some aliens. Humans are banned from Europa, Jupiter is turned into a star.

Conclusion: Property boom on Ganymede, HPC on Earth.

Edited by Della

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

put your head between your knees and kiss your a55 goodbye.

get out of debt and have lots of savings.. in gold or goldmoney.

Spam, beans, tinned food.

A weapon or 2.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Well, not sure the HPC is the biggest of our worries! :unsure:

The Maya had an understanding of mathematics and understood the value of zero long before its discovery in the Eastern parts of the world. Their understanding of numbers and astronomy gave us the Mayan calendars of the Long and Short Counts. So why does this calendar attract so much attention now? The Mayan calendar ends on the Gregorian calendar date of December 21, 2012, which most people believe is the total end of civilization, as we know it, while others believe it is simply a change of enlightenment in this current time. Many theories have sprung up about this end date, ranging from the laughable, to the religious, to the scientific.

(source: http://www.armageddononline.org/mayan.php )

Those soothsaying Mayans didn't mention HPC!

Might start building an ark, and stock up on baked beanz. However, if it is all going to hit the fan in 2012 why not just run up a whole heap of debt, get a mortgage or two, the odd BTL and not worry about it! :lol:

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Water. And definitely a gun or, better, a rocket launcher! Maybe solar panels and a generator or other personal energy source. And baked beans ( or the Fray Bentos, if you prefer - although I had a slaughterhouse tour and know what goes in those type of products and will stick to the beans). Can't imagine why anyone would want swiss francs (backed or not backed) - just as illusionary as sterling and dollars. As is gold for that matter.....

Gold was very useful (ergo, valued) before globalisation, when kings liked to decorate their castles with/dress in/eat it, and it was portable, so one upped and left one dodgy country with one's gold and went to another one and paid the king for some land. Today war and recession are global - there is no up and leaving and gold is not what does it for today's average leader (*). And the average person will be wanting the basics ; water, heat, food etc, not a new set of gold taps. Of course gold still has value as a metal commodity in some products as long as manufacturing and consuming continues at some level somewhere - which, barring complete wipeout of civilization it will- but no more or less than copper/silver/platinum etc and definitely a lot less than the soft commodites.

BTW - why 2010? I know astrologers expect trouble due to a major configuration (and I am not talking about the Mayans), but I am curious to know why others think this time will be significant?

(*) I leave it up to readers to decide what does :ph34r:

HOLA4418

If your a FTB, don't buy a house. Houses are POOR VALUE FOR MONEY IN THE CURRENT MARKET.

Cut down current spending as much as possible. Get used to being able to root out the bargains.

If in debt (including mortgage debt), reduce the debt as much as possible in the next four years. If possible, totally eliminate all debts owed.

If I currently had a mortgage, I should now be checking whether or not I am over extended with debt. If so, sell the house and rent.

Start to build up savings in low risk vehicles. Cash ISA's are quite good. Also index linked savings bonds. Be prepared to move out of these if the rate of inflation moves up. At the current time, I would prefer sensible, boring type savings to more exciting vehicles such as gold, foreign currencies or equities. Big gains could be made in the next few years on the more exciting forms of investment. However, I feel that there could be some swift market turns in the next three or four years. We could even have some Wall Strret Crash Type scenarios.

Buy the cheapest and most economical car possible. People might soon begin to see that the extra twenty grand to 'prove ones status' is not good value for money.

Defer purchases of 'state of the art' electrical equipment for as long as possible. Such goods will fall in price significantly during a recession. Other things to consider are the move from analogue to digital over the next few years; the battle for a standard DVD format; new Windows operating system due in 2007; etc.

Be prepared for a long and deep recession. Much longer and deeper than the ones in the early eighties and nineties.

Don't be sucked into the 'armeggedon' frame of mind. I am sure that the end of the world will come sometime. However, I don't think that it will be sparked by the coming depression.

Read up as much as possible.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Watch and wait for Spurs to start challenging for the Premier league title?

HOLA4421

Has the crash been delayed again?

:angry:

HOLA4422

Okay. I'll state the obvious.

GOLD! Lots of GOLD!

On the contrary - In a depression Gold will go the same way as all other asset classes. Cash would be King hence the dilemma between HyperInflation / Depression. In one cash is worthless whereas in the other it is vital.

Without wishing to go to extremes and exaggerate I do see Inflationary tendencies (in which value is stored in Gold) 2006-2009 giving rise to depression ( cash ) circa 2010.

Still think the space odyssey post was the best though.........

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

The Mayan calendar ends on the Gregorian calendar date of December 21, 2012, which most people believe is the total end of civilization, as we know it, while others believe it is simply a change of enlightenment in this current time. Many theories have sprung up about this end date, ranging from the laughable, to the religious, to the scientific.

'Most people'? A handful of kranks number less than 3 billion, I think.

The Mayan calendar ends then only in the way that ours ended at the end of AD 999. It's the end of a 400 year cycle (actually 144000 days, not quite 400 years) and as such anyone running the Mayan long count date system will have to add a digit to the front. Granted, it's a pain, but not quite the end of the world.

Edited by JJJ

HOLA4425

House wise I am going to remain renting for the forseeable future as this allows me to:

• 1. Remain fluid in the job market - as the housing market now starts to stagnate and unemployment rises it will be those that can quickly/easily move to take up positions as required that will succeed. Those with big debts will be forced to either (a.) travel further to find work; so increasing their costs/debts/time away from home and decreasing their standard of life overall OR (b.) sell at a loss to move quickly(if they can afford houseprices where the work is)

• 2. Keep whacking about 800 a month into 5% savings ready to take up any opportunities that arise (along with other investments that mature in about 2010!)

Employment wise I think we are soon to leave the 'IT/communications' paradigm and enter the 'green/environmental' paradigm (what is out there at the minute is just a fraction of what is to come - i.e. the early 'adopters') and interestingly enough there is usually some sort of recession between the cutover so as to stimulate innovation. So bearing this in mind, over the last five years I have 'spammed' myself up with relevant qualifications and intend to get some hands on 'skills' in this field over the next few years. Again, it is those with 'soft' skills that are going to suffer come any recession.

Thats the plan anyway! :D