House Price Crash Forum

Banks now refusing to do business because of ground rents

HOLA441
HOLA442
23 minutes ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

I suspect more and more of these London’s leasehold flats are becoming unsellable due to the service charges ground rent scams. 

Yep.

An unintended consequence of Britain's leasehold racket.

The banks will be worried about mortgage holders of leasehold paying back their debt because if service charges/ground rents increase to high levels the tenants will default and be unable to pay back to the banks.

And just like that leaseholds become worthless which is their intrinsic value anyway.

Two possible scenarios from here:

1) The government back stops leasehold mortgages allowing the banks to lend and if default taxpayers pick up the tab or

2) Watch the government now pass proper leasehold reform quicker than you can say corrupt system.

Watching with interest.

Pass the popcorn!

Edited by The Angry Capitalist

HOLA443

The obvious solution is that the leaseholds are worth a fraction of what they previously were. The existing mortgaged leaseholders sadly need to go bankrupt and the banks take a haircut on debt that they can't recover. They should never have lent on it in the first place, poor business by them. Which is probably why banks no longer want to lend on them, as they're liabilities are big enough on this stuff. Heres a major component of the forthcoming crash then.

Will this in any way affect leasehold HTB houses?

HOLA444
1 hour ago, Si1 said:

The obvious solution is that the leaseholds are worth a fraction of what they previously were. The existing mortgaged leaseholders sadly need to go bankrupt and the banks take a haircut on debt that they can't recover. They should never have lent on it in the first place, poor business by them. Which is probably why banks no longer want to lend on them, as they're liabilities are big enough on this stuff. Heres a major component of the forthcoming crash then.

Will this in any way affect leasehold HTB houses?

Are they not covered by the government aka taxpayers?

If so, then not much apart from the national debt going a bit higher.

Don't think there were many of them created anyway.

HOLA445

You would have to be mad to touch a leasehold property in this country, unless it was one of the older ones with a long lease and a peppercorn rent which couldn't be increased.

One of the biggest scandals here, is all the right to buy buyers trapped in ripoff leasehold properties. Which they can't sell.

HOLA446
3 minutes ago, bartelbe said:

You would have to be mad to touch a leasehold property in this country, unless it was one of the older ones with a long lease and a peppercorn rent which couldn't be increased.

One of the biggest scandals here, is all the right to buy buyers trapped in ripoff leasehold properties. Which they can't sell.

“Leasehold prisoners, the history of leaseholders trapped in a house they cannot sell”. Soon on Channel 4. 

HOLA447
4 hours ago, bartelbe said:

They make no f****** sense now the leasehold costs the same as just renting it normally. why would you tie capital up to have a right to pay the same rent that you can pay anyway without tying any capital up?

HOLA448
1 hour ago, Si1 said:

They make no f****** sense now the leasehold costs the same as just renting it normally. why would you tie capital up to have a right to pay the same rent that you can pay anyway without tying any capital up?

Because then they are homeowners and only homeowners can get into heaven.

I do believe they think this way :blink:

HOLA449
1 hour ago, Huggy said:

Because then they are homeowners and only homeowners can get into heaven.

I do believe they think this way :blink:

Emperor's new clothes Yadda yadda

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

So, the unintended consequence of the banks refusing to lend on leasehold properties - the value of the the existing leasehold stock on their balance sheets plummets. It's seems they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

HOLA4412
On 4/20/2024 at 11:04 AM, bartelbe said:

I didn't know that right to buy homes were being sold with these leasehold traps. HMG have looked the other way with many ripoff schemes. This one takes the biscuit. 

HOLA4413
20 minutes ago, 70PC said:

I didn't know that right to buy homes were being sold with these leasehold traps. HMG have looked the other way with many ripoff schemes. This one takes the biscuit. 

Scammy scammer Tories have to be admired for their inventiveness - took the entire country hook, line, and sinker.

HOLA4414
On 4/20/2024 at 3:30 PM, Si1 said:

To be honest I am baffled by your post. I said that you would have to be mad to buy a leasehold.

The exception is older leasehold properties that have ground rents of a couple of quid that never go up.

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, Up the spout said:

Scammy scammer Tories have to be admired for their inventiveness - took the entire country hook, line, and sinker.

I think they've actually totally forgotten any kind of ethical obligation in politics.

HOLA4416

Is this actually a thing, or another example of wishful thinking by the usual suspects here?

Do we have quantifiable evidence that banks are starting to refuse mortgage loans on leasehold flats in London?  I agree it would affect the market and bring about a much needed correction, but until someone shows it's a thing, hard to see things changing. Apart from anything else rents are still sky high in London, so folk will still think buying property, leasehold or not, is a zero-risk gamble. You need to show proof that banks' policy has changed on leasehold mortgages.

HOLA4417

Problem for the banks is if someone else has a lien over the property that ranks above them.
The freeholder has right to possess if the ground rents are not paid.
Now that these ground rents are no longer trivial amounts it starts to factor into the risk of default and how much can be recovered.

HOLA4418
20 hours ago, bartelbe said:

To be honest I am baffled by your post. I said that you would have to be mad to buy a leasehold.

The exception is older leasehold properties that have ground rents of a couple of quid that never go up.

I think he was agreeing with you