House Price Crash Forum

Dubai cloud seeds its own flood?

HOLA441

Was Dubai's apocalyptic storm SELF-INFLICTED? Claims UAE 'flew cloud-seeding flights - which increase rainfall - the day before' 18 months' rain fell in 24 hours

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13318541/dubai-storm-cloud-seeding-caused-rain-weather-flooding.html

The United Arab Emirates is today attempting to dry out after the heaviest rain ever recorded in the desert nation caused utter chaos - but there are suspicions the horrific flooding in Dubai and elsewhere may have been self-inflicted.

The typically scorching UAE heavily relies on cloud-seeding - a technique which sees aircraft fire salt flares into clouds to speed up condensation and induce rainfall - to provide its groundwater. Flight-tracking data analysed by the Associated Press showed one aircraft affiliated with the UAE's cloud-seeding efforts flew around the country on Sunday. Meanwhile, Ahmed Habib, a meteorologist at the UAE's National Centre for Meteorology (NCM), told Bloomberg several cloud-seeding sorties were flown in the days before the unprecedented rainfall hit. 

As speculation over the cloud-seeding grew, the NCM later denied in comments to CNBC that the operation had taken place on Tuesday in the hours before the storm - but confirmed the operation was performed on Sunday and Monday.

Edited by fellow

HOLA442
HOLA443

I was there 10 years ago. They cloud seeded, and a whole compound of brand new Mitsubishis were destroyed by hail!

Its highly effective when the conditions are right. Talking to one of the pilots he told me as you seed it rains almost immediately behind you. Can't see it would make a difference a day or two later?

I've been there when storms break out and christ they're violent. Massive amounts of rain in a short period of time.

HOLA444
4 hours ago, btd1981 said:

Amazing... Humans just keep pressing the self-destruct button in new and increasingly imaginative ways! I wonder who gets to miss out on this water, destined elsewhere.

Rubbish - as with any strange weather event it's clearly, according to the media, 'The Climate Crisis (TM)'.  The World is Burning ... give up your freedoms and prosperity!

HOLA445

They have a gel of a property mania slowing up a bit presently.

This is not going to help.

I quite like the place but add floods to the heat etc and that tax free bolt hole is looking a bit expensive to buy.

You have to wonder about foundations also of some buildings.

if it is seeding the damage looks possibly in the billions atm

HOLA446
HOLA447
5 hours ago, btd1981 said:

Amazing... Humans just keep pressing the self-destruct button in new and increasingly imaginative ways! I wonder who gets to miss out on this water, destined elsewhere.

i disagree.. controlling the weather is essential.

i'be said before we should seize Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos wealth and companies and use them to attempt to control the weather.

Better for mankind to spend a generation trying to control the weather and fail, than spend a generation trying to get to Mars and succeeding. 

HOLA448
13 minutes ago, regprentice said:

i'be said before we should seize Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos wealth and companies and use them to attempt to control the weather.

Better for mankind to spend a generation trying to control the weather and fail, than spend a generation trying to get to Mars and succeeding. 

If controlling the weather becomes possible it would end up being used as a weapon of war, or wars would be fought over who gets the best weather.

HOLA449
7 minutes ago, fellow said:

If controlling the weather becomes possible it would end up being used as a weapon of war, or wars would be fought over who gets the best weather.

Dubai probably stole someone else's rain....

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Because there is so little rain in Dubai normally, there is little infrastrucutre for water run-off. Drains on roads are a bit of a novelty for example - which has compounded the current situation.

Edited by rantnrave

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
3 hours ago, rantnrave said:

Because there is so little rain in Dubai normally, there is little infrastrucutre for water run-off. Drains on roads are a bit of a novelty for example - which has compounded the current situation.

They did away with the roundabouts in Qatar and put in underpass/overpass. Unfortunately the underpasses didn't have drainage. Naturally hamid carried on regardless believing his land cruiser would continue to work underwater! Most entertaining!

HOLA4414
On 17/04/2024 at 19:07, fellow said:

On 17/04/2024 at 19:14, Stewy said:

Dubai probably stole someone else's rain....

Meteorologist warns of 'weather wars' between countries after Dubai floods were blamed on 'cloud seeding' - with 'catastrophic' consequences

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13327073/meteorologist-weather-warning-dubai-floods-cloud-seeding.html

"A meteorologist has warned of looming 'weather wars' between countries if 'cloud seeding' gets out of hand - after flooding in Dubai spawned concerns about artificially manipulating the rainfall.

Johan Jaques, a senior meteorologist at environmental technology company KISTERS, warned there could be 'unintended consequences' to using the relatively young technology, potentially leading to 'diplomatic instability'.

'Any time we interfere with natural precipitation patterns, we set off a chain of events that we have little control over,' he said. 'Interference with the weather also raises all kinds of ethical questions, as changing the weather in one country could lead to perhaps unintended yet catastrophic impacts in another. After all, the weather does not recognise international borders.'

Extreme weather, and concerns about climate change and possible manipulation, have received attention in recent days with flooding in Dubai causing widespread disruption and damage to infrastructure."

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, fellow said:

Meteorologist warns of 'weather wars' between countries after Dubai floods were blamed on 'cloud seeding' - with 'catastrophic' consequences

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13327073/meteorologist-weather-warning-dubai-floods-cloud-seeding.html

"A meteorologist has warned of looming 'weather wars' between countries if 'cloud seeding' gets out of hand - after flooding in Dubai spawned concerns about artificially manipulating the rainfall.

Johan Jaques, a senior meteorologist at environmental technology company KISTERS, warned there could be 'unintended consequences' to using the relatively young technology, potentially leading to 'diplomatic instability'.

'Any time we interfere with natural precipitation patterns, we set off a chain of events that we have little control over,' he said. 'Interference with the weather also raises all kinds of ethical questions, as changing the weather in one country could lead to perhaps unintended yet catastrophic impacts in another. After all, the weather does not recognise international borders.'

Extreme weather, and concerns about climate change and possible manipulation, have received attention in recent days with flooding in Dubai causing widespread disruption and damage to infrastructure."

I suspect this has been going on for decades...

HOLA4416
On 4/17/2024 at 6:48 PM, regprentice said:

Matt Damon concurs.