• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

This book sounds a good read -

https://freebeacon.com/culture/review-san-fransicko-why-progressives-ruin-cities/

Just ordered from amazon

Basically he argues that just telling everyone less well off they are a victim leads to disaster.

from the review-

“Why are these big, blue cities breaking down? Climate scientist and Berkeley, Calif., resident Michael Shellenberger tackles the question in his latest book, San Fransicko: Why Progressives Ruin Cities.

At core, Shellenberger’s answer is political. Though he takes pains to assure the reader of his liberal bona fides, Shellenberger insists that big cities, particularly San Francisco, have been captured by a too-progressive ideology. City leaders have begrudgingly embraced the priorities of the activist class that staffs the various NGOs providing key services, including support for the homeless, the mentally ill, and the drug addicted.”

HOLA445
1 hour ago, debtlessmanc said:

I believe something similar happened when hire companies tried to use AI to identify high risk customers.

Could it be that the data contradicts the dogma?

For a not-particularly controversial example, the EU meddled in car insurance. Men and women were 'equal' and so couldn't be 'discriminated' against because of their sex, even though men have more car accidents.

I'm sure other politically awkward data has been ignored in most areas of our lives, to the enrichment of us all I've been told...

HOLA446
2 hours ago, Ballyk said:

The Met has always been ahead of the curve when it comes to diversity.

image.png.d45e4d2f02fa74106081e32cfed6031f.png

Crazy how married women were not allowed to work.

My grandma was very intelligent and could have added lots of value to the workforce, but aged 25 she got married and that was it, given a nice send off by the office. Never worked again.  Lived another 72 years of untapped potential. It's a shame.

HOLA447
On 16/12/2023 at 12:16, Biggus said:

This is against the law.

https://www.gov.uk/discrimination-your-rights

Why has she not been arrested?

The police themselves do this. I'd imagine its a civil claim for discrimination at your significant expense ... that doesnt stack up against four coppers visiting people at home because they wrote something on facebook someone else didnt like  

Some examples of police positive discrimination. 

2006 - Gloucestershire Police deselects 108 candidates because they are white men

2019 - Cheshire police exclude "exceptional" candidate on bases of being a white heterosexual male.

2021 - Met chief Cressida Dick calls for powers to apply "positive discrimination".

2023 - Met accepting 'functionally illiterate applicants who struggle to write crime reports in bid to improve diversity'

The first time i was aware of "positive discrimination" was living in Aberdeen in the late 90s when the fire service were reported as saying they wouldn't be accepting white candidates for the next 4-7 years until they hit some specific ethnicity target. Being a fireman was something young people worked towards and it was taken from them.

HOLA448
23 hours ago, Pebbles said:

Diversity is great the areas that are most diverse are statistical the areas where the most violent crime is committed. Societies like Japan and Korea are more cohesive and polite and safe. Diversity of religion is grand until you see a specific religion disproportionately commit terrorism compared to their population percentage and religious conflict that occured. Diversity is fine until you are robbed at gunpoint or threatened with a knife and find they disproportionately occur in certain groups. Diversity is fine until investigations get curtailed because of being seen to be racist see Rotherham grooming gang. Diversity in the armed forces is fine so long as the opposition fights less hard against those selected by specific recruitment drives. The presence of women firewomen who wouldn't mee male fitness tests are great so long as it isn't you behind a fire door that needs removing or carrying out of the building. Police officers who are women have lower fitness requirements well let's hope the criminals are more accommodating to give them a fair chance of catching them 

I call ******** to it all. Believe in meritocracy I have seen people hired for diversity as it is important to the hiring manager then complaints when they aren't up to the job and we should have looked at further candidates. I believe in blind recruitment I don't want to see names or faces  I want the fittest on the services if that means they are mainly certain groups then that is grand. Wokery has gone too far every one should be treated equally I believe in equity of opportunity not equality of outcome.

I have teams in Korea and Japan.  Very male dominated work cultures . Somewhat brutal work cultures I’d say . Always feel super safe when I travel, people are polite and super deferential (which I don’t like).  Society might seem safe from the outside looking in , but it really depends how you define safe . For example , mental health / suicide challenges in those countries , that’s not keeping people safe imho. 
I fundamentally disagree with your argument that they are more cohesive . They are conformist . Which is wherein lies many of their problems in society. Very different than cohesive . 

interesting comment on religion and terrorism . 
some interesting reading on this (I only read this superficially a few months ago .. I have a book on Xmas reading list ),,  For example, it’s common in the US to classify some acts by white peoples as ‘hate crimes’ when targeting institutions / groups . Yet the same crimes when committed by persons following an Islamic religion , are cited as terrorism . Hence , the perception that all terrorism in the US is somehow related to Islam. 

and if you look at crime overall , interesting that in South Korea, murder rate and violent crime rate per capita is significantly higher than UK . Total crime is lower , but violent crimes - higher . More safe ? 

HOLA449
14 hours ago, MarkG said:

Apparently Amazon tried that but had to scrap the idea because it kept hiring white men.

Yes, but clearly no.

If you were on Loose Women you would get a round of applause and knowing snigger for saying that "Of course, the best man for the job is always a woman". It is not smarter when you say it in reverse. Or funnier.