• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I don't particularly want or expect interest rates to fall, but there has been a big fall in world trade.

You can see this in shipping rates falling, stock price of Maersk at 12 month low, OPEC talking about cutting output, etc, etc.

The higher interest rates are clearly having the desired impact on demand throughout the world.

Edited by Ballyk
Accuracy

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
10 hours ago, Wurzel Of Highbridge said:

They couldn't predict inflation on the way up, so they won't be able to on the way down either.

That's not strictly accurate... The BoE has predicted inflation, frequently and regularly, since 1992... when it became their target.  Of course, the prediction for inflation has always been the same:  that it will return to target in the medium term given the decisions made by the Monetary Policy Committee.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
6 hours ago, Stewy said:

Many posters don't like good news on here. 

Haha, we could agree on that. 

But one man's good news can be another man's bad. 

The catastrophisers on here will never buy because house prices wont fall 50% in nominal terms. In my mind the best news would be for borrowing costs to at least be the level of CPI and house prices become cheaper in real terms. 

Personally the good news has been high inflation while being very fortunate to have remortgaged during Covid and getting a stupidly low interest rate.

HOLA4412
15 hours ago, A.steve said:

That's not strictly accurate... The BoE has predicted inflation, frequently and regularly, since 1992... when it became their target.  Of course, the prediction for inflation has always been the same:  that it will return to target in the medium term given the decisions made by the Monetary Policy Committee.

Tail wagging the doggo my dear boy.

If the BoE expected inflation to be off target in the medium term they'd take appropriate action, hence it always reverts to target in the models because the model factors in the appropriate action.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

From the autumn statement:

Inflation is forecast by the independent budget watchdog to drop to 2.8% by the end of 2024, falling to the 2% target in 2025

Minimum wage 10% rise to £11.44

State pension rise 8.5%

Benefits rise 6.7%

National insurance reduced

We live in the times of greed, where companies want to extract maximum profits. Therefore, inflation isn't falling back to 2% with rises such as these.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
4 hours ago, petetong said:

According to BBC today, comparing Jan 2021 and Oct 2023:

food is 30% more expensive

clothing is 25% more expensive

energy 82% is more expensive

all baked in.

Still all cheap. We all live like kings these days. 

Steak night out tonight 🥩

HOLA4417
7 hours ago, Unmoderated said:

Tail wagging the doggo my dear boy.

If the BoE expected inflation to be off target in the medium term they'd take appropriate action, hence it always reverts to target in the models because the model factors in the appropriate action.

I think you're missing the point with your K9 references, Pedigree Chum.

The point was that the BoE did predict, and their prediction was always trivially predictable.

I argue, the BoE always predicted - and that their prediction wasn't always either insightful or, ex-post, correct.

Edited by A.steve

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
On 21/11/2023 at 18:43, Field of Nightmares said:

Citi Bank announced today that they don't see rates coming down until 2025

1 hour ago, Loving The Crash said:

The BoE is also assuming no rate cuts in 2024 in its inflation projections.

Whereas @Stewy of course is still saying that they should have cut in November and it's a 100% chance (✔️✔️✔️) they will do so in 22 days time...

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
12 hours ago, A.steve said:

I think you're missing the point with your K9 references, Pedigree Chum.

The point was that the BoE did predict, and their prediction was always trivially predictable.

I argue, the BoE always predicted - and that their prediction wasn't always either insightful or, ex-post, correct.

If you predict where your car will be down the road you'd put it in the middle of the lane. Why? Because you'll take actions all the way up to that point to keep the car in the middle of the lane. If your current course of action put you off target, in a field or a tree or the oncoming lane, you'd take action to steer back. 

BoE is (in this simple analogy) no different. If they predicted 10% inflation in the two year horizon it would assume they also have just taken their hands off the wheel. If they believe 10% inflation likely in two years they'd take action to control it, and vice versa. 

You're arguing then that all predictions turn out to be inaccurate. I would agree with that. It's the only certainty of a forecast. 

HOLA4425
11 hours ago, Unmoderated said:

If you predict where your car will be down the road you'd put it in the middle of the lane. Why? Because you'll take actions all the way up to that point to keep the car in the middle of the lane. If your current course of action put you off target, in a field or a tree or the oncoming lane, you'd take action to steer back. 

BoE is (in this simple analogy) no different. If they predicted 10% inflation in the two year horizon it would assume they also have just taken their hands off the wheel. If they believe 10% inflation likely in two years they'd take action to control it, and vice versa.

The distinction is that, when I'm trying to drive (forwards) down the middle of the lane, I look through the windscreen.  The BoE can't do similar - they look exclusively through the rear-view mirror.

11 hours ago, Unmoderated said:

You're arguing then that all predictions turn out to be inaccurate. I would agree with that. It's the only certainty of a forecast. 

I disagree that all predictions turn out to be inaccurate.  Some turn out to be accurate... because the person making the prediction has solid knowledge that you do not.  I can predict that I won't fall into the Mediterranean sea within the next hour... because I have relevant information  to which you are not a party.  My prediction will prove accurate as a result.  If you tried to make predictions about things I won't fall into in the next hour, your prediction (even if it sounds equally plausible) will be less accurate than mine.