House Price Crash Forum

Mortgage borrowers race to take in lodgers as interest rates rise

HOLA441

Mortgage borrowers race to take in lodgers as interest rates rise

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/07/09/mortgage-borrowers-race-lodgers-interest-rates-rise/

Stretched mortgage borrowers are racing to take in lodgers in an attempt to help cover their bills. The number of adverts for lodgers on listings website SpareRoom was nearly a fifth higher in the three months to June than a year earlier, the business said.

Matt Hutchinson, communications director at the company, said that much like after the financial crisis, squeezed homeowners were starting to look at empty bedrooms as a source of income. Mr Hutchinson said: “We saw a real sort of drop in people taking lodgers over Covid. But the numbers have started picking up again now. “With people struggling and interest rates rising it’s something we think is going to really take off throughout the course of this year.”

HOLA442
HOLA443
52 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

So much for interest rate rises leading to increased rent’s, this will increase supply and choice.

Along with people moving back in with their parents,(which is effectively the same as lodging).

HOLA444

Rightmove is also full of properties with no furniture waiting for people to move in.

4 minutes ago, fellow said:

Along with people moving back in with their parents,(which is effectively the same as lodging).

HOLA445
HOLA446
1 hour ago, Roman Roady said:

So much for interest rate rises leading to increased rent’s, this will increase supply and choice.

Yep, if we go back to "Lodger World" (when did that peak, the 1970`s?) BTL will be absolutely hammered. Not the best thing having a lodger unless you really know and get on with them, but people will do it to avoid losing the house.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
5 hours ago, 70PC said:

Rightmove is also full of properties with no furniture waiting for people to move in.

Many landlords are trying to sell when their tenant vacates rather than looking for another tenant, which is temporarily pushing up rents.

Rents should fall as these unoccupied homes sell and / or get put back on the rental market.

HOLA4410

The rush for the exits is being stymied by unmortgageable ground rent provisions. 

A deed of variation takes 4 months and costs sellers thousands. 

The sellers are trying to sell at peak prices, without fixing it (and paying thousands). 

There will come a Minsk moment for these stalled sales. 

HOLA4411
17 hours ago, dances with sheeple said:

Yep, if we go back to "Lodger World" (when did that peak, the 1970`s?) BTL will be absolutely hammered. Not the best thing having a lodger unless you really know and get on with them, but people will do it to avoid losing the house.

It was pretty big in the 1980s. My live in Landlord couldn't get a mortgage because he was a self employed musician so bought his house on a ten year bank loan. Four lodgers paid over 80% of that for him. A colleague had several lodgers and what was supposed to be the dining room as his bedroom).

something that has changed since the 1980s, which will increase supply is that back then there was very little purpose built student accommodation.  Recently Bristol has built so much it makes you wonder how they fill it (although the fact that everyone between the age of 18 and 24 with an IQ over 80 has to go to Uni these days might explain it).

HOLA4412

I am mortgage free as of last month, part of the reason I am mortgage free is that I utilised the rent a room scheme when I first got my property in 2011, back then the tax free amount was only £3,650 I think it is more now but I feel like the govt should increase this threshold further to around £900 a month (maybe higher for London).

I never rented a whole place whilst saving up a deposit but would find the best place I could for the amount I wanted to spend.

Not sure how the borrow to let gang would feel about rent a room getting bigger tax relief though.

HOLA4413

I'm a lodger , works for me as the rental prices where I am are insane for what you get.It has some issues , the landlady can be noisy at times but for the most part it works for both of us .She orginally took in a lodger to mitigate energy bills.

As well as cheaper than renting alone , its better than the other option ..HMO.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
19 hours ago, Blobsy said:

This was always on the cards. A spike in rents then collapse as people and their circumstances adjust.

People are very good at doing that, they are not going to give away their hard earned wages......they might give higher rents as a reason why need a better pay rise, get the pay rise and hand notice in to landlord.....no longer required.;)

HOLA4416
27 minutes ago, Nabby81 said:

I'm a lodger , works for me as the rental prices where I am are insane for what you get.It has some issues , the landlady can be noisy at times but for the most part it works for both of us .She orginally took in a lodger to mitigate energy bills.

As well as cheaper than renting alone , its better than the other option ..HMO.

Yeah, 

At a glance, renting a spare room in a 3-bed house in my area is £700-£800 vs spending £1200+ rent for a one bed flat above kebab shops and other takeaways.....

If I was a single bloke, It would be a no brainer..

HOLA4417
10 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

My dad was a lodger Mon-Fri in the 80s. We only saw him on weekends when he drove back. The landlady he lived with would try and feed him large piles of potatoes. 

Poor old Dad, he put on a brave face.

More like Tuesday to Thursday these days, hybrid working....walk or cycle to work......drive early Tuesday morning, drive home Thursday evening or Friday morning......~£100 a week parking included.....bit extra with evening meal....£500 or so extra a month must go to helping with extra mortgage payments......;)

HOLA4418
6 minutes ago, winkie said:

People are very good at doing that, they are not going to give away their hard earned wages......they might give higher rents as a reason why need a better pay rise, get the pay rise and hand notice in to landlord.....no longer required.;)

Agreed... asking for 50-60% of a persons/households earnings in rent just isn't sustainable. I certainly couldn't go to work knowing that a large proportion of my money is going on paying off someone else's mortgage.

I guess LLs can always find foreigners who are happy to live together and pay the silly rents each month.... as the rent divided by 10 people may only cost the tenants £200 per month per head. That seems to be popular at the moment.

HOLA4419

Just a thought, how many do continue to rent knowing at some point in their later life they would be left an inheritance that will provide them with their forever owned home......their families property will become their own.......this must be a new phenomena, never before have so many been dependant on the gift/wealth of others?;)

HOLA4420
15 minutes ago, winkie said:

More like Tuesday to Thursday these days, hybrid working....walk or cycle to work......drive early Tuesday morning, drive home Thursday evening or Friday morning......~£100 a week parking included.....bit extra with evening meal....£500 or so extra a month must go to helping with extra mortgage payments......;)

Can't hybrid work teaching. 

HOLA4421
7 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Can't hybrid work teaching. 

Depends .......not if teaching in regular schools.

Many studies/learning can be done online now, or part and part.....works well for mature students with other responsibilities.;)

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

My dad was a lodger Mon-Fri in the 80s. We only saw him on weekends when he drove back. The landlady he lived with would try and feed him large piles of potatoes

Poor old Dad, he put on a brave face.

He couldn't feed himself?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
2 hours ago, Housepricecrash91 said:

Yeah, 

At a glance, renting a spare room in a 3-bed house in my area is £700-£800 vs spending £1200+ rent for a one bed flat above kebab shops and other takeaways.....

If I was a single bloke, It would be a no brainer..

550 to rent a room inc bills or 900-1000 for a one bed flat plus bills...No brainer