House Price Crash Forum

Net immigration 'will settle at 245,000 a year': OBR upgrades estimates by 40,000 since November, pointing to big inflows from Ukraine, Hong Kong, student boom and post-Brexit points-based system

HOLA441
Just now, Cocha said:

Yes, it made me smile hearing the BBC have to admit to that this morning.

Yet our very own Mrs Doyle was mocking me for posting those figures yesterday. 

She is on the board this morning so I will wait for her apology. Not that I am expecting one nor am I expecting her to give me a number as to when she would agree the UK is full. I have asked her a few times now to give a number for the UK being full but no reply, may be she has difficulty reading simple words. 

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Perhaps there could be a scheme, like the Ukrainian one, where people who want asylum seekers can offer them their spare bedrooms/holiday homes etc? I'm sure there would be a couple of HPCers who would enjoy the company. 

Also, are asylum seekers also counted towards our inward migration stats, or do they fall into a different figure?

HOLA443
On 3/19/2023 at 3:43 PM, PeanutButter said:

Millions? There's only 4.6mil white Saffas in the country. :D 

You can't just get a UK passport without ancestry (up to grandparents). 

Correct how many commonwealth citizens eligible for a UK passport should they want to return to blighty? image.png.95ec7aa8e30f52e9aea37ba975c94f75.png?

image.png

HOLA444
36 minutes ago, coypondboy said:

Correct how many commonwealth citizens eligible for a UK passport should they want to return to blighty? image.png.95ec7aa8e30f52e9aea37ba975c94f75.png?

image.png

Not that many. You don't get citizenship or even right to abode, just for being a member of the commenwealth.. that changed in late 70s/early 80s.

You need a grandparent born in the UK for that these days under ancestry visa and enough cash to evidence you can support yourself.

I have no idea was % of south Africa population can evidence they had a grandparent born in the UK and can support themselves but would be surprised if it was higher than a couple of 100k. 

HOLA445
2 hours ago, coypondboy said:

image.png

Like I said, 4.6mil whites. 2.7mil Afrikaaners. So we're down to a pool of 1.9mil already. 

Black Africans and Indian/Asian groups don't have UK parentage. 

Your 'millions' of Saffas migrating to UK is not realistic. Just own it and move on. 

HOLA446
HOLA447
On 3/20/2023 at 4:48 PM, captainb said:

Not that many. You don't get citizenship or even right to abode, just for being a member of the commenwealth.. that changed in late 70s/early 80s.

You need a grandparent born in the UK for that these days under ancestry visa and enough cash to evidence you can support yourself.

I have no idea was % of south Africa population can evidence they had a grandparent born in the UK and can support themselves but would be surprised if it was higher than a couple of 100k. 

we have a large saffer community in bcp and play tennis with many at our club and they think more will leave and come to blighty as zimbabwee role model for blacks becomes reality.  The UK will do a Hong Kong rescue due to empire guilt so expect most white staffers will be eligible to come.

HOLA448
15 minutes ago, coypondboy said:

we have a large saffer community in bcp and play tennis with many at our club and they think more will leave and come to blighty as zimbabwee role model for blacks becomes reality.  The UK will do a Hong Kong rescue due to empire guilt so expect most white staffers will be eligible to come.

I am willing to bet this doesn't happen. There is no way the UK could offer residency to whites only. 

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Illegal immigrants / asylum seekers fill a city centre hotel near where I live.  From their windows they look down on homeless Brits sheltering in the doorway of the vacant shop opposite.  I wonder what they think.

HOLA4411
29 minutes ago, brush2805 said:

Why have Canadian house prices fallen 18% in a year with their high levels of immigration?

Why did Canadian house prices increase 50% in two years with their high levels of immigration?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
1 hour ago, Wayward said:

Illegal immigrants / asylum seekers fill a city centre hotel near where I live.  From their windows they look down on homeless Brits sheltering in the doorway of the vacant shop opposite.  I wonder what they think.

Or more importantly what do the homeless Brits think?  

HOLA4414
2 hours ago, brush2805 said:

Why have Canadian house prices fallen 18% in a year with their high levels of immigration?

Because there's more than one factor at play. 18% fall sounds like a lot but only takes some of the covid froth off which saw prices rise 50%.

Rents on the way up also 

https://thoughtleadership.rbc.com/proof-point-shortfall-in-canadian-rental-housing-could-quadruple-by-2026/

HOLA4415
2 hours ago, Wayward said:

They might be thinking, why are they sheltering homeless in a doorway when they can work, whilst they can't..... don't think they realise how hard it is to pay for a roof over your head and food in belly, and what need to earn to do that.....they might come to realise they picked the wrong country if know nobody here......not a bed of roses and streets not paved with gold.;)

HOLA4416
On 22/03/2023 at 13:51, PeanutButter said:

I am willing to bet this doesn't happen. There is no way the UK could offer residency to whites only. 

Asylum claims being far more likely to be granted for people from certain ethnic groups is not new: Iraqi Kurds,  Sri Lankan Tamils, etc.

The other thing is allowing immigration of people with British ancestry.

13 minutes ago, winkie said:

They might be thinking, why are they sheltering homeless in a doorway when they can work, whilst they can't..... don't think they realise how hard it is to pay for a roof over your head and food in belly, and what need to earn to do that.....they might come to realise they picked the wrong country if know nobody here......not a bed of roses and streets not paved with gold.

It is very true a lot of people have exaggerated expectations. They think they can easily get a job. The see pay that is high in their home country terms and fail to realise the cost of living.

Even those who know people may not know the truth. There is an old joke about am immigrant who told people in his home country that he had hundreds of people under him at work. He mowed the grass in a cemetery. They may also know people who came here in things like skilled migrant visas who are likely to be doihng well.

On 20/03/2023 at 18:22, PeanutButter said:

Black Africans and Indian/Asian groups don't have UK parentage. 

Not large numbers, but I know quite a few (OK, that is because a lot of the people I know in Asia are rich).

HOLA4417
15 minutes ago, winkie said:

.....they might come to realise they picked the wrong country if know nobody here......not a bed of roses and streets not paved with gold.

Wrong country !

Automatic free health care. Jumping over the housing queue. Once given citizenship the right to send for family members. Children given free education. Do a low paid part time job have Tax Credits and Housing Benefit make the pittance up to as good or better than what an average Brits ends up with.

If the UK was the wrong country the word would have got out there by now, Asylum Seekers would not be traveling through many safe countries then jumping in a small boat to cross the channel if the UK was the wrong country to make a claim. 

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, Insane said:

Wrong country !

Automatic free health care. Jumping over the housing queue. Once given citizenship the right to send for family members. Children given free education. Do a low paid part time job have Tax Credits and Housing Benefit make the pittance up to as good or better than what an average Brits ends up with.

If the UK was the wrong country the word would have got out there by now, Asylum Seekers would not be traveling through many safe countries then jumping in a small boat to cross the channel if the UK was the wrong country to make a claim. 

yep dick Whittington was right as I have previously posted, London and the rtb a council falt with big discount using the bank of dodgy uncle and start a buy to let empire in the early 90's has been a rag to riches story for many immigrants and have told their relatives back home London streets are literally paved with gold..

HOLA4419
On 3/22/2023 at 1:51 PM, PeanutButter said:

not many blacks/coloured will have connections to the UK via a grand parent or relative now living in UK willing to put them up whilst they find their feet.  The irish did it in the 60's and 70's so why not especially if we have a labour shortage.