Zombie companies

MarkD

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
7 minutes ago, Blobsy said:

"Yerr too bad for them but as long as it don't affect wot me hourrssse is werrff."

All about confidence innit. Thinking back to the early 90's, all hope was lost. It looks and feels like much the same to me.

There were no buyers in the market, and lots of desperate sellers.

HOLA446
HOLA447
5 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

Yes, the past quarter of a century is coming to an end. There will be no easy choices for our next PM.

It pretty much ended in 2007/8 but the complacent elites just delayed the inevitable and enriched themselves (and now we got a ton of environmental, resource, political, agricultural, and war gremlins all pop up out of the ground since 2016).

HOLA448

I still expect a government bailout on the energy markets to be announced within the next 2 weeks although I am not sure how sustainable it is going to be.

I was listening to LBC and a lot of callers saying energy companies are now asking for payment upfront as they don't expect the business to survive.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
55 minutes ago, Sprrite said:

I was listening to LBC and a lot of callers saying energy companies are now asking for payment upfront as they don't expect the business to survive.

Someone in the US was saying the other day they they're now paying suppliers as late as possible while getting customers to pay as early as possible. It's the kind of thing that companies do when they have no idea who's going bust next.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
10 hours ago, MarkD said:

Our next PM (Ms Truss) will be lucky to last 6 months. All hells about to let rip.

Agree. Trussputin will collapse Conservative electoral prospects, and she'll be removed.

HOLA4414
10 hours ago, Pmax2020 said:

I predict fish suppers will go up £50% by new year. Demand will fall as people being porter, and their overheads go up namely due to energy costs. Watch this space. 

I took some people out for lunch the other day, and three portions of fish, plus drinks and a couple of desserts was £107.  But that was a low footfall gastro pub. 

Prices in London seem more competitive,  but they are getting the footfall.

HOLA4415
13 hours ago, dpg50000 said:

As others have said, this time around it won't just be zombie companies. The utility bills will take down previously highly profitable firms too. It will be a bloodbath.

It is not looking good.......I prefer a nation of small businesses and shopkeepers, what I would not like to see are the big boys with the money getting good firms for below value........this has been done in the past, take the land you now work for us.;)

HOLA4416
10 hours ago, Pmax2020 said:

I predict fish suppers will go up £50% by new year. Demand will fall as people being porter, and their overheads go up namely due to energy costs. Watch this space. 

Chicken and eggs are now a least 30% higher in price...... basics of many takeaways.

People will be cooking the chicken at home in the air fryer.;)

HOLA4417
4 minutes ago, winkie said:

It is not looking good.......I prefer a nation of small businesses and shopkeepers, what I would not like to see are the big boys with the money getting good firms for below value........this has been done in the past, take the land you now work for us.;)

If you were conspiratorially minded, you might think it deliberate rather than due to economic mismanagement.

HOLA4418
7 minutes ago, winkie said:

Whilst Global Inflation is one factor, I think weak Sterling due to the demographic time bomb is another. 

https://centralbylines.co.uk/the-loss-of-freedom-of-movement-has-detonated-the-uks-demographic-time-bomb/

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Interesting. Ms Truss is proposing to lower VAT by 5%. She’s acknowledged business’s are in deep sh1t.

On the face of it, not a bad idea. Temporary I would imagine, no mention of who’ll pay for the lost revenue? Obviously either more debt or cuts somewhere?

HOLA4422
34 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Whilst Global Inflation is one factor, I think weak Sterling due to the demographic time bomb is another. 

https://centralbylines.co.uk/the-loss-of-freedom-of-movement-has-detonated-the-uks-demographic-time-bomb/

Always thought freedom of movement a positive thing, within limits......I also think if moving elsewhere got to put into the new system to get out of it, bring enough to support yourself and family, unless proven to be an asylum seeker escaping persecution and war, we have been involved in a few wars in the past where all sides suffer... More people today in the UK will now be unable to afford to stay or to leave.....;)

HOLA4423
3 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I took some people out for lunch the other day, and three portions of fish, plus drinks and a couple of desserts was £107.  But that was a low footfall gastro pub. 

Prices in London seem more competitive,  but they are getting the footfall.

Had large cod and chips and a small bottle sparkling water in the rip off that is harry ramsden's by the coast and i had 30p change out of £19. The fish was unbelievable thin like a veneer of fish carved by a japanese fish master. 

The low end restaurant takeaway business will be on its ass soon. 

HOLA4424
2 hours ago, MarkD said:

Interesting. Ms Truss is proposing to lower VAT by 5%. She’s acknowledged business’s are in deep sh1t.

On the face of it, not a bad idea. Temporary I would imagine, no mention of who’ll pay for the lost revenue? Obviously either more debt or cuts somewhere?

If it is anything like the VAT cut given to hospitality during the lockdown it will just be pocketed by the business with no saving passed on to consumers. Maybe that’s the intention but if so then they will need to do something to help Joe Public too.

HOLA4425
1 hour ago, Odysseus said:

If it is anything like the VAT cut given to hospitality during the lockdown it will just be pocketed by the business with no saving passed on to consumers. Maybe that’s the intention but if so then they will need to do something to help Joe Public too.

That’s actually the way I read it. Aimed mainly at business, joe public may get a few scraps!