House Price Crash Forum

China's Lying Flat movement - don't work so hard

HOLA441

The movement of the moment in China is "lying flat," which advocates for lying down instead of working hard. More Chinese youth appear to be rejecting a life and work culture of constant competition. "Lying flat" rejects the "9-9-6" culture that encourages people to work 12 hour days six days a week.

Disenchanted Chinese Youth Join a Mass Movement to 'Lie Flat' (insider.com)

Frankly I'm at a cross roads of my life where I sympathise. The rat race just isn't worth it. You get so little for hard work nowadays. You're expected to toil in a minimum wage job for the ability to pay rent to your landlord. It's a fraud. A scam. Boomers never had it so lucky. Millennials have very little to look forward to. They have a life of misery and debt to look forward to. Boomers had easy lives and will have easy retirements.

Or you're expected to borrow 250k for a shit box house that you spend your entire life slaving away to pay for. What's the point?

You don't get paid enough to deal with the ******** you have to deal with. The ladder has truly been pulled up behind the boomers. It used to be the case that working class Londoners could afford to work in the outskirts of London with a nice house on a single salary.

Fortunately I work in an industry that isn't slowing down and pays more than other jobs (devops). It's not great but it's better than what most people contend with. I still don't see the benefit accruing to me if I work hard for someone else.

Life is for living. While you're young, don't throw it away on slaving away making someone else rich. Capital has truly shafted labour on the world stage. Our governments are complicit. Cheap borrowing has only made the tragedy of the commons worse as people borrow more to shaft others, increasing prices. It's so hopelessly stupid.

HOLA442
19 minutes ago, phantominvestor said:

Disenchanted Chinese Youth Join a Mass Movement to 'Lie Flat' (insider.com)

Frankly I'm at a cross roads of my life where I sympathise. The rat race just isn't worth it. You get so little for hard work nowadays. You're expected to toil in a minimum wage job for the ability to pay rent to your landlord. It's a fraud. A scam. Boomers never had it so lucky. Millennials have very little to look forward to. They have a life of misery and debt to look forward to. Boomers had easy lives and will have easy retirements.

Or you're expected to borrow 250k for a shit box house that you spend your entire life slaving away to pay for. What's the point?

You don't get paid enough to deal with the ******** you have to deal with. The ladder has truly been pulled up behind the boomers. It used to be the case that working class Londoners could afford to work in the outskirts of London with a nice house on a single salary.

Fortunately I work in an industry that isn't slowing down and pays more than other jobs (devops). It's not great but it's better than what most people contend with. I still don't see the benefit accruing to me if I work hard for someone else.

Life is for living. While you're young, don't throw it away on slaving away making someone else rich. Capital has truly shafted labour on the world stage. Our governments are complicit. Cheap borrowing has only made the tragedy of the commons worse as people borrow more to shaft others, increasing prices. It's so hopelessly stupid.

Chav slags found the lying flat movement in the uk in the 80's!!!!!  Except they are smart, and only need to lay flat for 5-30 mins, then pop out a baby 9 months later. Never need work again. Pop out the last early 40's, takes you to retirement. 

HOLA443

What the UK went thru, economic and social ~1910 -> 2020, China did in ~1995 -> 2020.

As an massive economic monster, China is gone.

There will be literally a Red Red Ron in every company.

Chinas retirement age is 50. Half the country will be an OAP in ~20 years.

HOLA444
7 hours ago, phantominvestor said:

I can’t work out DevOps.  In the 1990s anymore who worked in IT could make >£40k a year for installing Windows NT.  Now IT is plugging in printers with self-configuring drivers and it’s effectively unskilled labour.  Will devops go the same way?

HOLA445
1 hour ago, spyguy said:

What the UK went thru, economic and social ~1910 -> 2020, China did in ~1995 -> 2020.

As an massive economic monster, China is gone.

There will be literally a Red Red Ron in every company.

Chinas retirement age is 50. Half the country will be an OAP in ~20 years.

Going through very, very rapid economic development from 1990-ish to 2020-ish was going to be a massive shock, and soon hit diminishing returns.

A Japanese-Chinese firm has gotten so desperate, they set up a smart camera system where you have to smile at (?!) to do anything!

HOLA446

Fact is there are some jobs here which pay well, are enjoyable or have little pressure on them.

However, for the majority of them, they don't, not getting good money, boring, or pressure to hit targets. But people can't quit because they then don't have the money. Hence, the term rat race.

It is funny that the Asian cultures can be slagged for face-saving, yet the same things happen here. Ask around and the vast majority of people will claim they are in the first category of jobs. A bit like admitting a house price loss, doesn't happen.

• 2 months later...
HOLA447

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, said:

'Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.

HOLA448
5 minutes ago, Orb said:

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, said:

'Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.

Certainly many of us do. 

HOLA449
On 29/06/2021 at 07:37, Will! said:

I can’t work out DevOps.  In the 1990s anymore who worked in IT could make >£40k a year for installing Windows NT.  Now IT is plugging in printers with self-configuring drivers and it’s effectively unskilled labour.  Will devops go the same way?

DevOps where you manage accounts, and give users admin permission for half an hour is probably a job that pays you 20k per year.

"Modern" DevOps is more about automation, build pipelines, monitoring, developer tooling. Google have a few free ebooks on it. https://sre.google/books/