House Price Crash Forum

NS&I announces unprecedentedly large rate cuts on 24 Nov. A devastating blow for savers

HOLA441

I don't know. Personally i'm bored of moving my housing deposit around to try and gain an extra 0.x%. 

I cashed out my Nationwide ISA earlier in the year to buy income bonds when NW dropped their rates. Because of ISA repayment flexibility I could put it all back and get 0.8% but I haven't seen any annoying Nationwide TV adverts recently so maybe they're the bank in trouble.

I'll probs just leave it where it is. At least it's safe and i'll be spending all of it in about 6-9 months hopefully.  

Ditto. I have moved my deposit fund every December for the last three years.

Post Office > The AA > Marcus

I’ve worked out that a move from Marcus would allow me to gain an extra £50 a year which  is hardly going to help me compete with the local BTL boomers.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I have £44k and win about 2 x £25 per month on average. 

Whatever way I look at it, until now I've seen about 1.3% give or take 0.1 or so. 

And long may it continue.  Out of boredom and poor rates with NS&I I might as well stick some in a PB which I've literally just done.  If I get in excess of 0.1% I will be over the moon! 

HOLA443

And long may it continue.  Out of boredom and poor rates with NS&I I might as well stick some in a PB which I've literally just done.  If I get in excess of 0.1% I will be over the moon! 

So they have won as we accept these rates. Savers struggle to earn decent return and apathy takes over whilst borrowers are rewarded. 

We should fight and try earn more perhaps spend it or invest in the stock market.....oh wait, then they win too.😉

HOLA444

So they have won as we accept these rates. Savers struggle to earn decent return and apathy takes over whilst borrowers are rewarded. 

We should fight and try earn more perhaps spend it or invest in the stock market.....oh wait, then they win too.😉

I'm leaving my max holding in PB's just as an act of defiance to show them I'm not going to do what they desperately want me to do... which is to withdraw it and spaff it away buying unnecessary shit in their failed economy or invest it in the markets and risk losing the lot.

HOLA445

I'm leaving my max holding in PB's just as an act of defiance to show them I'm not going to do what they desperately want me to do... which is to withdraw it and spaff it away buying unnecessary shit in their failed economy or invest it in the markets and risk losing the lot.

I agree. I will have PBs maxed out....and who knows, this time next year we might be millionaires.

Or is that exactly what they wanted us to do... 😂😂😂 

HOLA446

I agree. I will have PBs maxed out....and who knows, this time next year we might be millionaires.

Or is that exactly what they wanted us to do... 😂😂😂 

I'm hoping that if everyone does like they say they're going to do and withdraw their money from PB's then the odds of winning might actually increase despite the ''prize'' rate cut.

It could just be me and you left battling it out for the £1m!

HOLA447

I'm hoping that if everyone does like they say they're going to do and withdraw their money from PB's then the odds of winning might actually increase despite the ''prize'' rate cut.

It could just be me and you left battling it out for the £1m!

Actually I like the logic. Pretty sure that’s exactly how it works.

Spread the word that PBs are sh1te.😆😆 

HOLA448

TSB_logo.png  

We’re changing the interest rate on your Plus account.  

Dear Rant,  

We wanted to let you know that from 2 December 2020, we’re reducing the interest rate on your Plus account from 1.50% AER* to 0% AER.

I got the same email.

I had to move to TSB in 2017 when Norwich & Peterborough Building Society were closing the current accounts. It was a good move at the time as TSB interest rates were strong compared to the competition.

HOLA449

Sadly yes but if the market falls, correction, continues to fall (London), this will offset any loss... 😁

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Coventry BS currently paying 1.1% for instant access account, limited to 2 withdrawals pa

I have just opened a Yorkshire BS account paying 1%. Only out £5 in to get the foot in the door and get the ‘paper work’ sorted. Then I will top up. 

That’s my top tip...if there is a deal and you are mulling it over then open the account in the meantime - taking care to make sure you can add to it of course. Sometimes they stop new deposits on existing accounts but that’s much rarer that just withdrawing the facility to opening new accounts. 

I might open a Coventry one tomorrow if it lets me  😉

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I have just opened a Yorkshire BS account paying 1%. Only out £5 in to get the foot in the door and get the ‘paper work’ sorted. Then I will top up. 

That’s my top tip...if there is a deal and you are mulling it over then open the account in the meantime - taking care to make sure you can add to it of course. Sometimes they stop new deposits on existing accounts but that’s much rarer that just withdrawing the facility to opening new accounts. 

I might open a Coventry one tomorrow if it lets me  😉

Yes – do not delay. Yesterday I was mulling over opening a West Brom building society account as it offered a dizzying 1% interest rate. It has already disappeared.   

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Natwest offer 3% on the new digital regular saver account (but only up to £1,000 balance!).

There is no decent place to save. Gilts are negative. The 6 month emergency fund I have in instant saver Marcus account is now barely keeping up with inflation, will move this into the best instant access savings I can find.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Borrowers are rewarded with more debt.... 

HOLA4419

In my opinion the risk of bail-ins next time the financial system goes pop is far too high to chase 1% yields around.

^this^

If house prices start falling say 5% yoy, your moneys worth 5% more yoy... Its a lie that increase in house prices aren't inflation 

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

It's funny. since my job became fully remote, I found myself having a few hundred extra every month thanks to not having to commute or spend money on lunches. I recently put some money into an NSI bond and having been funnelling the new money into a Virgin money regular saver (1%). We hear a lot about the negative economic effect of COVID, but equally so, there's quite a lot of people out there like me who have been net beneficiaries. 

HOLA4422

It's funny. since my job became fully remote, I found myself having a few hundred extra every month thanks to not having to commute or spend money on lunches. I recently put some money into an NSI bond and having been funnelling the new money into a Virgin money regular saver (1%). We hear a lot about the negative economic effect of COVID, but equally so, there's quite a lot of people out there like me who have been net beneficiaries. 

You are right. And lots of costs saved eg coffees, lunch (maybe) and ‘it’s Barry’s Birthday collection’ 😆😆

If you were an MP you would have received £10k to compensate you for having to work from home...all in this together. Hmmm...seemed fair  

Imagine MPs needed the extra money to help pay for the extra electricity for their hard wired nipple clamps 🤷🏻‍♂️

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

They are saving a fortune not traveling to Epstein Island

Won’t they just take the underground tunnel direct from Westminster? I think the individual travel pods are still in use.  

Joking apart there was not enough made about the ‘extra £10k’. Totally incongruous to the rest of the UK. I would say the worse example of entitlement and abuse of power....however, I am sure there are worse and I have just blanked them out. 

HOLA4425

Won’t they just take the underground tunnel direct from Westminster? I think the individual travel pods are still in use.  

Joking apart there was not enough made about the ‘extra £10k’. Totally incongruous to the rest of the UK. I would say the worse example of entitlement and abuse of power....however, I am sure there are worse and I have just blanked them out. 

It wasn't a 10k payment to them. 

It was an allowance upto 10k which had to be fully itemised to move their staff in their Westminster offices to home or their constituency. 

As not all their employees would have a home office. Most haven't claimed anything like the full amount as they had fewer staff or their staff already had printers, computers etc at home. 

Wasn't reported as much as it wasn't real.