House Price Crash Forum

House prices on busy roads

HOLA441

I’ve been thinking about the switch to electric vehicles and how this could impact other areas of life. Putting aside self-driving vehicles allowing kids to go to school alone, or rural dwellers not needing bus services, the major question I have is if those cheaper houses on busy roads will become more desirable.

A big part of why they are cheaper is the noise, the pollution and the filthy particulate film that settles over everything nearby. 

Remove those factors and you have a cheaper house (for the time being) with good transport links, that just needs a power wash. 

Thoughts?

HOLA442
21 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Remove those factors and you have a cheaper house (for the time being) with good transport links, that just needs a power wash. 

Does it really remove all of these factors though? EVs still make noise, especially at speed - you hear the whoosh of tyres and wind, and a bit motor whine as they pass - and there'll still be tyre and brake dust, and the danger element. Still definitely an improvement on before, depending on how busy/fast a road you are talking about, and on whether bigger vehicles (i.e. trucks) also make the switch.

HOLA443
18 minutes ago, mattyboy1973 said:

Does it really remove all of these factors though? EVs still make noise, especially at speed - you hear the whoosh of tyres and wind, and a bit motor whine as they pass - and there'll still be tyre and brake dust, and the danger element. Still definitely an improvement on before, depending on how busy/fast a road you are talking about, and on whether bigger vehicles (i.e. trucks) also make the switch.

Still much quieter than before. Almost no brake dust as EVs only use their brakes for hard/emergency stops and even the tyres leave less dust (a side effect of engineering them for lower rolling resistance). 

So probably be good idea but you are going to have to wait a good while for the payoff.

HOLA444

If we move house again it will be to a busy (but not too busy) road.

Where we are now parents encourage their children to play in the (very quiet) road. The noise of net ball, football. skate boards (really noisy, like throwing planks of wood around), scooters etc, with all the associated screaming, is a bit much for a couple of old farts who like peace and quiet. Our fault though we should have done proper due diligence and checked out the street activity.

We have to drive down it at about 10MPH as they leap out in front of you with a defiant look on their faces daring you to run them over. Fortunately, we have A/C and double glazing so we can shut out the noise until it rains and drives the little horrors inside.

HOLA445
HOLA446
9 minutes ago, mattyboy1973 said:

Bruce you miserable old git!!

If you say so, but when we were young parents we never let our kids make that much noise. The skateboard is the worst, one kid does tricks... clack, clack, clack, clack..... all bloody day, But as I said, our fault for not checking it out, easy answer, avoid very quiet roads where inconsiderate parents send their kids out to play so they can get some piece and quiet.

I Googled it last year and and opinion seems to be evenly split between "miserable old git" from those who allow their kids to make as much noise as they like, and despair from those who are unable to sit in their gardens because of repetitive noise pollution.

Anyway, A/C and double glazing has solved our problem as long as we don't want to sit in the garden.

In France now so no problem at all.

Edited by Bruce Banner

HOLA447
10 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

If you say so, but when we were young parents we never let our kids make that much noise. The skateboard is the worst, one kid does tricks... clack, clack, clack, clack..... all bloody day, But as I said, our fault for not checking it out, easy answer, avoid very quiet roads where inconsiderate parents send their kids out to play so they can get some piece and quiet.

Why don’t you make it un-cool by taking it up and wear a handkerchief on your head, and say words like mojo and daddyO 

everytime they go skateboarding you go skateboarding and ask they advice, you can stop a behaviour by making it s as appear un-cool

Edited by shlomo

HOLA448
5 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Why don’t you make it un-cool by taking it up and wear a handkerchief on your head, and say words like mojo and daddyO 

Could be worth a try ?.

Anyway, back on topic, we would pay more for a house on a road with enough traffic to make using the road as a playground too dangerous.

HOLA449
24 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Could be worth a try ?.

Anyway, back on topic, we would pay more for a house on a road with enough traffic to make using the road as a playground too dangerous.

33 minutes ago, shlomo said:

everytime they go skateboarding you go skateboarding and ask they advice, you can stop a behaviour by making it s as appear un-cool

@Bruce Banner was SK8er Boi and I claim my £5

Not a bad bit Totty at the time!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

:D 

1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Still much quieter than before. Almost no brake dust as EVs only use their brakes for hard/emergency stops and even the tyres leave less dust (a side effect of engineering them for lower rolling resistance). 

So probably be good idea but you are going to have to wait a good while for the payoff.

Yes you’re probably right, maybe take 10-15 years to see a decent change.

HOLA4413
4 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

If we move house again it will be to a busy (but not too busy) road.

Where we are now parents encourage their children to play in the (very quiet) road. The noise of net ball, football. skate boards (really noisy, like throwing planks of wood around), scooters etc, with all the associated screaming, is a bit much for a couple of old farts who like peace and quiet. Our fault though we should have done proper due diligence and checked out the street activity.

We have to drive down it at about 10MPH as they leap out in front of you with a defiant look on their faces daring you to run them over. Fortunately, we have A/C and double glazing so we can shut out the noise until it rains and drives the little horrors inside.

I'd rather hear the sound of happy children playing than the noise of buses, motorbikes and obnoxiously loud sports cars that I have to endure on a daily basis living on a main road. 

HOLA4414
16 minutes ago, Postman said:

I'd rather hear the sound of happy children playing than the noise of buses, motorbikes and obnoxiously loud sports cars that I have to endure on a daily basis living on a main road. 

You are on the wrong forum for that, try mumsnet, we are miserable and old and bitter and if you stay here long enough you will catch it as well.

HOLA4415
41 minutes ago, Postman said:

You might not think that if you had a twelve year old practising skate board tricks, which sound exactly like someone throwing planks of wood onto a flatbed every two seconds, for hours at a time. The repetitive nature of it is like a super noisy dripping tap. Even the noisiest motorbike is gone within a few seconds, although you could be unlucky enough to have one outside your front door blipping the throttle until he runs out of fuel.

What would you say if someone were to bang a saucepan with a hammer, outside your window, every two seconds for two hours? Then go in for tea and come back out for another couple of hours, because that's pretty much the equivalent of the skate board wizard.

Never mind, we're just old miseries being unreasonable, although I do wonder why he doesn't do it outside his own house.

Anyway, our mistake in buying a house without doing adequate due diligence and as I said previously, problem solved. 

Edited by Bruce Banner

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
47 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

You might not think that if you had a twelve year old practising skate board tricks, which sound exactly like someone throwing planks of wood onto a flatbed every two seconds, for hours at a time. The repetitive nature of it is like a super noisy dripping tap. Even the noisiest motorbike is gone within a few seconds, although you could be unlucky enough to have one outside your front door blipping the throttle until he runs out of fuel.

What would you say if someone were to bang a saucepan with a hammer, outside your window, every two seconds for two hours? Then go in for tea and come back out for another couple of hours, because that's pretty much the equivalent of the skate board wizard.

Never mind, we're just old miseries being unreasonable, although I do wonder why he doesn't do it outside his own house.

Anyway, our mistake in buying a house without doing adequate due diligence and as I said previously, problem solved. 

Little bit of quick set cement overnight in a few key area, make it a bit bumpier? 

Only joking, you’re better off selling to someone with equally irritating kids.

HOLA4418

I have to agree skateboards constantly going backwards and forwards and young kids - mostly girls - constantly screeching is about the worst noise - bar perhaps living in flats below toddlers with wooden floors.

Surely the purpose of skateboards is to get somewhere quickly - not spend hours going over the same kerb or footpath in exactly the same place.

If you can't get remote and rural then a road with cars constantly driving so kids can't play is best if you want to maintain some sanity and get some peace. Until the winter of course when the kids play inside and screech!!

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

Slap on some Beethoven (I'm sure that you can think of a track ?) and whack it up top 11. Guaranteed to deter the young.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

Haha OK point taken.

I've skateboarded for 16 years so I'd probably go outside and give the kid some pointers tbf. 

HOLA4424
HOLA4425