House Price Crash Forum

How the Food Industry Manipulates Nutrition Science: Five Questions for Marion Nestle

HOLA441

https://undark.org/article/marion-nestle-food-science-industry/

MARION NESTLE may be America’s foremost public nutrition warrior. The scientist, activist, and author has been advocating for clarity in food research and marketing for years, and has been highly critical of the food industry. Her last book, “Soda Politics: Taking on Big Soda (and Winning),” tackled the soda industry with insightful reporting — especially on how research funded by Coca-Cola aimed to increase profits by misleading consumers.

Currently an emerita professor of nutrition, food studies, and public health at New York University and a visiting professor of nutritional sciences at Cornell, Dr. Nestle is back with her latest book, “Unsavory Truth: How Food Companies Skew the Science of What We Eat.” This time she chronicles how meat, dairy, and other large food producers manipulate nutrition science by funding both research projects and individual researchers with the goal of demonstrating the benefits of their products —more marketing than science, as she puts it.

For this installment of the Undark Five, I spoke with Nestle (pronounced like the English verb “to nestle”) about the genesis of her new book, her continuing fight to confront the food industry over transparency in its research, and what the public can do about it. Our telephone conversation has been edited and condensed for space and clarity 

HOLA442

manipulate nutrition science by funding both research projects and individual researchers with the goal of demonstrating the benefits of their products

Or anything for that matter.

Big pharma is just as guilty.

In real time we see this with Brexiteers; they've manipulated both research and funding to set a beneficial narrative .

HOLA443
HOLA444
52 minutes ago, cashinmattress said:

Correct indeed. Monsanto pulled a fast one on Bayer who bought them then got their pants sued of for Monsanto's former actions. The UK regulators (MHRA) are 100% funded by drug companies (according to 2005 house of commons health 4th report 2005).

52 minutes ago, cashinmattress said:

In real time we see this with Brexiteers; they've manipulated both research and funding to set a beneficial narrative .

Oh a brexit comment. Perhaps you should look at what your guilty Big Pharma thinks of Brexit.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Any news article based on "research" is meaningless unless they tell you who funded it, something that the BBC usually forgets to mention.

I remember the big BBC news story loads of years ago quoting research that said that tomato ketchup prevented cancer.  This news was all over the place for days before someone mentioned that the whole project had been funded by a company called Heinz.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
13 hours ago, cashinmattress said:

The person who demanded that the Brexit thread get closed/deleted/moved off topic is now Brexit - trolling a food nutrition thread!

Completely hatstand ?

Thanks OP for the original article. Interesting.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
11 minutes ago, Gribble said:

WTF has this got to do with HPC - fecking ridiculous

nothing ! this place is just full of conspiracy theorists that like expressing their vocabulary over nonsense. 

The 3 step Hpc rule. 

discuss nonsense come to the conclusion that nonsense cannot be changed by discussing it as those that do have no power.

conversation fizzles out

New post of more nonsense

cycle continues.

Eat sleep Repeat.  

HOLA4414
48 minutes ago, BorrowToLeech said:

Stopped reading here. 

I thought the same.

Anyhow irrespective of how she wants people to pronounce her name, we have to ask, is she related to the family that founded Nestle?

HOLA4415
3 hours ago, highYield said:

The person who demanded that the Brexit thread get closed/deleted/moved off topic is now Brexit - trolling a food nutrition thread!

Completely hatstand ?

Thanks OP for the original article. Interesting.

I'm humbled by the idea of having an internet stalker who chimes in occasionally with lovely compliments.

HOLA4416

17 hours ago, cashinmattress said:

16 hours ago, Arpeggio said:

Correct indeed. Monsanto pulled a fast one on Bayer who bought them then got their pants sued of for Monsanto's former actions.

A flawless argument, apart from the tiny detail of Monsanto not being a pharmaceutical company. Other than that I can see you've done your research. 10/10

HOLA4417
2 hours ago, cashinmattress said:

I'm humbled by the idea of having an internet stalker who chimes in occasionally with lovely compliments.

Please keep your trolling to the Brexit thread. That's what it's there for.

HOLA4418
7 hours ago, Tes Tickle said:

Any news article based on "research" is meaningless unless they tell you who funded it, something that the BBC usually forgets to mention.

I remember the big BBC news story loads of years ago quoting research that said that tomato ketchup prevented cancer.  This news was all over the place for days before someone mentioned that the whole project had been funded by a company called Heinz.

That was based off real research that shows that concentrating tomatoes does boost its nutritional benefit, I believe. However ketchup is full of sugar which probably negates any benefit derived from concentrating it. 

HOLA4419
1 hour ago, Ah-so said:

That was based off real research that shows that concentrating tomatoes does boost its nutritional benefit, I believe. However ketchup is full of sugar which probably negates any benefit derived from concentrating it. 

Tomatoes have considerable anti-oxidant properties. Over heating/cooking them destroys anti-oxidants. The tomatoes in ketchup are probably cooked to the extent that the anti-oxidants are destroyed - then chemical preservatives are added. Then - as you say - sugar is also added.

Which is why many people favour dehydrators, that gently dehumidify nutrition rich foods, 'naturally' preserving them by removing the water that eventually makes them mouldy - without killing the anti oxidants, as they are dehydrated at low enough temperatures.

Dehydrators are interesting. I have an Excalibur dehydrator (no VI with the company) https://excaliburdehydrator.com

They're great for time shifting the nutritional benefits of seasonal crops. When [any] supermarket has a seasonal deal on nutritional fruits or vegetables, I buy them in bulk and dehydrate them with my Excalibur (any dehydrator will do). 

I've more than payed back the initial cost of the dehydrator by buying cheap, in season, fruit/vegetables, then eventually consuming them many months later.

The dehydrated, nutritionally complete, result keeps the fruits/vegetables viable for a very long time. The end result is also great for camping/hiking - lightweight & easy to carry, but very good for you.

Edited by Guest

HOLA4420
5 hours ago, Dorkins said:

A flawless argument, apart from the tiny detail of Monsanto not being a pharmaceutical company. Other than that I can see you've done your research. 10/10 

I do know Monsanto are a food company, which is why I mentioned them as a tie-in between this thread's subject and CashInMatresses mention of drug companies.

Had I wanted to talk about just drug companies I'd have chosen something else to say like how Zyban smoking cessation drug is the same chemical (buproprion) as the antidepressant Wellbutrin and that Zyban has a black box warning for making a person suicidal.....or Paxil study 329 or genotyping test subjects in drug trials for favourable result or etc. etc.

57 minutes ago, highYield said:

The dehydrated, nutritionally complete, result keeps the fruits/vegetables viable for a very long time. The end result is also great for camping/hiking - lightweight & easy to carry, but very good for you. 

That is interesting. I wonder if this DIY is better than buying already dried stuff.

HOLA4421
40 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

That is interesting. I wonder if this DIY is better than buying already dried stuff.

'better' - yes, as you know for certain that there are no chemical preservatives added.

'cheaper' - certainly. I'm gobsmacked when I see a tiny little (plastic wrapped) bag of e.g. dried apples for not far off a fiver, when I know that I can easily produce 10 x the quantity for the same price. There's a tiny little electrical cost - but the dehydrator's produced heat is inside your home and not lost. Most fruit (and some veg) make your home smell great too. A kind of free pot pourri. Dehydrator dried apples with a little cinnamon sprinkle are delicious.

Anyone who grows their own fruit and veg would be mad not to have a dehydrator, especially if you have an allotment. Living in a flat with no garden at all? No problem, as supermarkets always do special offers when they need to offload too many seasonal fruit and veg.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/best-dehydrators-and-how-use-them

edit: the exceptions are big fat fruits such as figs or dates that a better dried using natural solar power in the hot, sunny countries where they are grown. But dehydrators are brilliant for (seasonally cheap) & easily sliced fruits & veg, from apples through oranges to pineapples.

If you really get into it, it's possible to make raw food pizzas. The BBC article above mentions soaking fruits in juice, and blanching vegetables - but i can't be bothered with that. I just buy cheap seasonal fruits (and some veg) slice them thinly, then bung them in.

Edited by Guest

HOLA4422
16 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

Had I wanted to talk about just drug companies I'd have chosen something else to say like how Zyban smoking cessation drug is the same chemical (buproprion) as the antidepressant Wellbutrin and that Zyban has a black box warning for making a person suicidal.....

Let me guess, you're getting your information from American websites - Wellbutrin is not approved for use as an antidepressant in the UK.

Your information is out of date anyway, the FDA removed the black box warning from Zyban:

https://www.attud.org/pdf/Chantix Zyban Label Change 2016.pdf

Could you explain what it is the drug company is meant to have done wrong here?

HOLA4423
18 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Let me guess, you're getting your information from American websites - Wellbutrin is not approved for use as an antidepressant in the UK. 

Your information is out of date anyway, the FDA removed the black box warning from Zyban: 

https://www.attud.org/pdf/Chantix Zyban Label Change 2016.pdf

Could you explain what it is the drug company is meant to have done wrong here? 

The original black box warning was the result of there being so many adverse affects in the real world that enough got through, therefore overcoming the fact that adverse affects are, and always have been va$tly underreported

The link you gave is based on trials by drug companies. Even if you don't think drug companies are corrupt and so is the FDA, and are therefore neutral, you should question the fact that the drug trials that are supposedly there to give scientific credibility yet are done by none other than the companies that stand to make a lot of money out of selling them. quote from your link: "Based on an FDA review of a large clinical trial that FDA required the drug companies to conduct"

Yes the FDA removed the black box warning, completely meaningless. The FDA are corrupt corrupt corrupt corrupt corrupt

HOLA4424
HOLA4425