House Price Crash Forum

Tonight C5 10 pm - Housing Crisis - Who's to Blame?

HOLA441
HOLA442

A couple of times on BBC's This Week Portillo has said some sensible things about housing to the effect that he works with lots of bright and capable younger people who should really be able to buy something decent like people in his generation could but the prices are just too high. He's also pointed out that the Tories have done essentially nothing meaningful since 2010 to restore a realistic prospect of homeownership to the younger masses and that this will eventually wipe out the Tories' electoral prospects in the future.

This C5 thing could be worth a watch, thanks for the heads up.

HOLA443

It's in a 90-minute time-slot, too.

I hope there's a decent amount of "what we need to do in the future" rather than solely looking back and finding people to blame.

If it's 89 minutes of "how we get here" and 1 minute of "well I dunno what we should do", it'll be an opportunity wasted.

HOLA444
17 hours ago, Dorkins said:

A couple of times on BBC's This Week Portillo has said some sensible things about housing to the effect that he works with lots of bright and capable younger people who should really be able to buy something decent like people in his generation could but the prices are just too high. He's also pointed out that the Tories have done essentially nothing meaningful since 2010 to restore a realistic prospect of homeownership to the younger masses and that this will eventually wipe out the Tories' electoral prospects in the future.

This C5 thing could be worth a watch, thanks for the heads up.

this.

HOLA445
18 hours ago, mrtickle said:

If it's 89 minutes of "how we get here" and 1 minute of "well I dunno what we should do", it'll be an opportunity wasted.

And that's exactly what happened. After all the history of social housing, he walked around with someone from Enfield council who told him the council can't build more because "budget caps". Then he muttered some rubbish about private building and only giving contracts for public housing to builders who don't land bank. 

What a waste of time. Barely one minute on how the banks, BTL and immigration and historically unprecedented interest rates have screwed the market.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Will be just another one of those 1000's of TV/Radio debates where they get a few politicians and housing "experts" to basically say yes we know homes are far too expensive, but we are going to do nothing about, then enter token baby boomer to shed a few crocodile tears for their kids that just cannot buy a home and start a family, but deep down does not give a f***, close up show, credits

HOLA448
On 27/04/2018 at 07:20, payoyo said:

And that's exactly what happened. After all the history of social housing, he walked around with someone from Enfield council who told him the council can't build more because "budget caps". Then he muttered some rubbish about private building and only giving contracts for public housing to builders who don't land bank. 

What a waste of time. Barely one minute on how the banks, BTL and immigration and historically unprecedented interest rates have screwed the market.

And hence most people remain grossly misinformed! It's almost like they like it that way ? I can't believe that people accept it's just a lack of building. If we built more, they would just get taken up by btlers. 

HOLA449
HOLA4410
On 27/04/2018 at 09:20, payoyo said:

Noam Chomsky says that dissent is allowed only within a narrow spectrum of opinion. This is a perfect example.

As payoyo says, BTL, immigration, the bank of england and the bank bailouts of 2008 onwards are the real culprits, but these are not allowed to be discussed.

HOLA4411
On 27/04/2018 at 07:20, payoyo said:

Quite right but far too 'red pill' to be aired on a major TV channel. ☹️

HOLA4412

Genuine question, when people say the banks shouldn't have been bailed out in 2008, could someone explain what would have happened  to mundane everyday activities such as cashpoints, direct debits, standing orders, salary payments, mortgage and utility payments etc. I ask because I don't understand how these things would've been dealt with. As I  say, genuine question  because I don't know....my wife runs everything via automated payments of this nature so that we don't get nasty surprises like late payment penalties, so I wonder how we'd have managed if the system  had ground to a halt. Please excuse my ignorance, I  want to be better informed. Thanks in advance. 

HOLA4413
9 hours ago, solentmuppet said:

Genuine question, when people say the banks shouldn't have been bailed out in 2008, could someone explain what would have happened  to mundane everyday activities such as cashpoints, direct debits, standing orders, salary payments, mortgage and utility payments etc. I ask because I don't understand how these things would've been dealt with. As I  say, genuine question  because I don't know....my wife runs everything via automated payments of this nature so that we don't get nasty surprises like late payment penalties, so I wonder how we'd have managed if the system  had ground to a halt. Please excuse my ignorance, I  want to be better informed. Thanks in advance. 

For everyday people you would have just swapped banks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdmI14oSe4g

HOLA4414
On 28/04/2018 at 09:57, UnconventionalWisdom said:

And hence most people remain grossly misinformed! It's almost like they like it that way ? I can't believe that people accept it's just a lack of building. If we built more, they would just get taken up by btlers. 

Mr Teddi works in the building industry. At least 3 of the projects he is currently working on are huge blocks of flats all owned by one company, being built expressly for renting out privately. More and more of these are starting to appear. Some of these companies own lots of these blocks and continuing to develop more of them. 

HOLA4415