• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
SNIP

On to Acton. It is a huge area, and to describe it, you really need to break it down into several separate areas - east / west / north / south as they are all quite different. Acton has historical links with the railways - there was a large goods yard and a large part of Acton stilll has this industrial vibe to it.

I live on the south side, not so far away from Chiswick, and the road I live on is actually pretty nice - tree lined, quiet but you can tell that a large % of the houses are split into rented flats. Literally 2 minutes away is one of the biggest council estates in Europe and another 2 minutes you are back in the middle class suburbia that is "Chiswick borders" (read: estate agent speak for South Acton).

Acton high street isn't particularly nice - at night, it is now dominated by a few pubs full of Australian travellers, and there are lots them wandering around drunk at the weekends.

There is also a large migrant population, namely Poles, although I still can't work out exactly why they choose Acton in particular.

So in summary, it's not a bad area to live. I used to live just off Holloway Road - trust me, you can do far worse than Acton

Howdy fellow Actonian

I live in Goldsmiths area, near the Park Club, surrounded by trees, squirrels, birds, and till they were driven out, foxes. I love it. As I don't drink these days I can happily avoid the drunken Aussies, though sometimes it's fun to eat in Rasputins and watch the scuffles outside the Redback.

As for the Poles, Hammersmith has been home to a large Polish community since WW2, which has since spread also to Shepherd's Bush & Acton.

I always find it funny the snobbishness about areas of London- the Chiswick Borders thing is a classic. I used to be guilty of it myself re South London, but as my partner is from Tulse Hill I've come to see that there are lots of nice bits south of the river. East London though? Now that is a shithole!

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Jebuz I must have fallen through a rip in space/time and arrived on planet f*ckup. I would pay NOT to live in these 'dwellings'. The prices asked need to be reduced by a factor of 4 at least. What possible reason could there be for anyone to pay these prices? Those responsible for this run away HPI need to be slaughtered, and not in a good way :ph34r:

HOLA4417
Here's a lovely little flat in a place called Cwmbran in the Welsh valleys...... who said there was no affordable FTB property in the UK?

http://fish4.co.uk/homes/homesforsale/view...stlocations.jsp

I love the 'flooring to remain". Can you imagine buying it, stepping in and... oops! landing on the heads of the people busy shooting up in the flat below? :ph34r:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
this, even after a 45K reduction recently, has to be the most overpriced property i have ever seen (its been for sale for a year)

its tiny, dark, has no garden, is weird and too trendy for the family area thats its located in, and is on a busy rat run of a road.

http://www.findaproperty.com/cgi-bin/agent...prop&pid=010625

That's unbelievable, it's basically a 1 bedroom studio flat!

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

it is obviously someones folly, those floors would have cost a fortune, and the sales patter is playing on the "artistic merits".......bullsh*t I say....the cost per sq m must be astronomical in comparison to a nearby 3 bed semi.....

check out the fireplace too...wouldn't want to burn much in that for fear of discolouring/sooting up the mezzanine level just a few feet above it!

HOLA4423

I cycle down that rat-run every day (I also rented just round the corner for 6 months in 2002). During the rush hours everyone trying to avoid Putney High Street (ie EVERYONE) goes down there, bouncing over about 7 speedbumps behind lorries vans etc.

I bet every house has cracked walls and triple-glazed windows.

Of course the tube and train lines run nearby, so no leaving the back windows open in the summer.

Due to slow typing (you boogers are all too fast) I have to add that I was referring to the Oxford Rd 1-bed studio.

HOLA4424
Lol check out that bed, wheres the sheep lol.

:D

from the description..... EA langauge "Internal Inspection is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED" English "This area would make Beruit on a bad day look attractive by comparison" I actually met the daughter of the guy who designed Cwmbran a few weeks back, she'd never been and asked me what it's like...... told her that her dad should be proud :rolleyes:

HOLA4425