Quiet on here

SNACR

HOLA441
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

I think you have 2 types of HPC'ers. The frugal HPC'er is bascially anti black friday because they are anti buying pretty much anything (minimalist). Some of them have all the stuff they need from a long time ago, so no more kipper ties required. Others in this type just get a buzz out of spending nothing and will live in a pile of sticks and have cold water and stale bread on christmas day, while leaving a million pound fortune when they die.

Then you've got the canny HPC'er who likes stuff, but is looking for a bargain and won't pay unless they get rock bottom price. Sure, there are some cons out there on Black Friday but there are a lot of good deals too. These lot are out there looking for cheap stuff. 

HOLA444

My take.....you are not saving any money by spending money, just to leave the house you start spending, transport, fuel, parking, coffee, lunch.......so you go out to buy something you NEED, fair enough but how many ONLY buy the thing they need?.....;)

HOLA445
HOLA446
21 minutes ago, winkie said:

My take.....you are not saving any money by spending money, just to leave the house you start spending, transport, fuel, parking, coffee, lunch.......so you go out to buy something you NEED, fair enough but how many ONLY buy the thing they need?.....;)

Remember , though, that when you stay in you're racking up heating bills, unless your a 10-cardi, no heating type of frugalist. 

HOLA447
HOLA448
33 minutes ago, winkie said:

It is nice to pop out and have a wander round the town centre though.  And yes I do spend on fuel, parking coffee, lunch.

I very rarely actually buy anything to take home.  I'm in the GPS minimalist category but actually have quite a lot of stuff as I'm still recovering from putting the contents of two homes together so I have barely bought anything for ten years bar shoes and clothes as required.  The stuff hasn't noticeably lessened in volume though.  I must have over fifteen mugs all of which refuse to break.

I do look through bargains listings but struggle to see anything to which I would want to give houseroom even if it was being given away for free.  Electronics in particular leave me entirely cold but seem to represent the mythical shiny things craved by so many.

HOLA449
53 minutes ago, winkie said:

There aren't many people out there who only buy things they need. And I can guarantee none of them are on here, because you don't need the internet.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
13 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It is nice to pop out and have a wander round the town centre though.  And yes I do spend on fuel, parking coffee, lunch.

I very rarely actually buy anything to take home.  I'm in the GPS minimalist category but actually have quite a lot of stuff as I'm still recovering from putting the contents of two homes together so I have barely bought anything for ten years bar shoes and clothes as required.  The stuff hasn't noticeably lessened in volume though.  I must have over fifteen mugs all of which refuse to break.

I do look through bargains listings but struggle to see anything to which I would want to give houseroom even if it was being given away for free.  Electronics in particular leave me entirely cold but seem to represent the mythical shiny things craved by so many.

I understand where you are coming from. 

I think as I've got older I've got better at buying stuff that I will actually use, and being choosy about quality. Nothing is a bad purchase to me if I get value for money out of it. That's a bit different to the ethos of actually buying nothing at all.

I think because when people get older they get so much more stuff its easy to forget that younger people might not actually have as much stuff, or all the things they want. 

HOLA4412
44 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

Remember , though, that when you stay in you're racking up heating bills, unless your a 10-cardi, no heating type of frugalist. 

When really cold the heating stays on going out or staying in. ;)

26 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I also like to pop out and do a bit of window shopping but on a quiet day, not on a manic day like this or weekends around Christmas....got a shopaholic friend who likes to take me with her, she says I save her money. ;)

13 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

There aren't many people out there who only buy things they need. And I can guarantee none of them are on here, because you don't need the internet.

The tinternet is a need in this day and age for all sorts of things, infact it is a great money saver, a way to keep in touch and a way to learn and find out about what is going on outside the front door......it opens many new doors. ;)

HOLA4413
26 minutes ago, council dweller said:

Yes Frank.....

I`ve got a mug which bares the legend `no US intervention in Nicaragua ` (1985)

This too also refuses to break.

My Wee Willy Harris Official Fan Club mug from 1958 is equally durable..

HOLA4414
2 hours ago, SNACR said:

Suspiciously quiet on here.

So, despite all the thrifty rhetoric, I reckon most off topicers are out wrestling chavs for Alba branded electrical tat to celebrate Britain's rich cultural history of African immigration.

Nah, as "footie can do no wrong" devotees, they've all gone to ground, desperately hoping this footie-mass-child-abuse story exploding in the media will blow over.

HOLA4415

I was flicking through the Amazon sales looking for something to buy and it occured to me that, bar a house, I really have everything I want material wise.

I'm visiting and posting here less atm because I got a bit obsessed with the whole US election thing and SJW and all that shite, and was wasting far too much of my life on the internet reading about it and discussing it. It was making me feel angry and depressed at times. I've been spending much more time playing the guitar and actually doing the things I used to enjoy and it's doing wonders for me. Much happier.

HOLA4416
21 minutes ago, winkie said:

I also like to pop out and do a bit of window shopping but on a quiet day, not on a manic day like this or weekends around Christmas....got a shopaholic friend who likes to take me with her, she says I save her money. ;)

The tinternet is a need in this day and age for all sorts of things, infact it is a great money saver, a way to keep in touch and a way to learn and find out about what is going on outside the front door......it opens many new doors. ;)

How many Amish people have got the internet then ? 10% of Americans don't use the internet ?

"Need" is objective (although most people use the word subjectively). It isn't "things I define as need in order to justify me having them".

if you don't get things you need, you die. There are actually relatively few things people need. What they want is a different issue. And then it becomes a matter of subjectivity, and no-one can claim to have a better ethos, other than what makes them happy.

HOLA4417
40 minutes ago, winkie said:

Profligate, Winkie? I leave the heating on when I'm out only if it's very cold - FOR THE DOGS.:o

Widow shopping?? Oops, I misread. :wacko:

HOLA4418
12 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

How many Amish people have got the internet then ? 10% of Americans don't use the internet ?

"Need" is objective (although most people use the word subjectively). It isn't "things I define as need in order to justify me having them".

if you don't get things you need, you die. There are actually relatively few things people need. What they want is a different issue. And then it becomes a matter of subjectivity, and no-one can claim to have a better ethos, other than what makes them happy.

Would be very happy to go back 20 or 30 years and have no internet at all......but more and more things need internet access, the best prices for fuel and insurance even finance need an internet connection, people correspond with each other via internet connection.....the internet is another utility......I would be more than happy to live in a place today where nobody has Internet then all would be equal. ;)

12 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

HOLA4419

No I didn't splurge out on a load of bargain gadgets I didn't really want. I paid the builders, for fixing the garage doors and windows, and the fence and gate.:huh:

HOLA4420

I went food shopping at 11pm last night, my local Tesco superstore was setting the in-store Black Friday displays, there was 1 small pile of Samsung 43" 4k LED smart TV's a supposed bargain down from £750 to £649! pah! 

Then there were massive piles of the ubiquitous Blaupunkt 40"

and a few LG's.

None of these are a bargain the Samsung's will likely be £649 or cheaper from now on, & are probably not selling or becoming obsolete, these are the TV's to tempt in the customers looking for a bargain in the hope that when they see the price or sell out in 5 mins they might buy one of the Blaupunkt's. 

I think it must be a bit of a standing joke if you visit someone and they have a Blaupunkt tv in the lounge "oh Black Friday eh?" :lol:   

HOLA4421
15 minutes ago, MrPin said:

No I didn't splurge out on a load of bargain gadgets I didn't really want. I paid the builders, for fixing the garage doors and windows, and the fence and gate.:huh:

I judge your repairs to be wants rather than needs. 

Whereas my SSD I purchased is clearly a need, clearly proving my moral superiority over you. May fortress Pin collapse under the weight of its repairs.

HOLA4422

I've been busy treating myself to a new TV and sound bar, and then I realised I needed to upgrade my media PC graphics card to get sound on the new tv due to the media PC being built out of obsolete tech, which was fine with the old TV.

Did it all on the internet though.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

I was flicking through the Amazon sales looking for something to buy and it occured to me that, bar a house, I really have everything I want material wise.

I'm visiting and posting here less atm because I got a bit obsessed with the whole US election thing and SJW and all that shite, and was wasting far too much of my life on the internet reading about it and discussing it. It was making me feel angry and depressed at times. I've been spending much more time playing the guitar and actually doing the things I used to enjoy and it's doing wonders for me. Much happier.

Have you got a keytar?

It can be used for beating all the women off with, too. 

Archived