House Price Crash Forum

So which HPC end-of-the-world prepper is this?

anonguest

HOLA441

Ok, so something a little different.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37742796

I've always been vaguely aware that the legal limits on how much petrol (and diesel?) can be stored in/on a residential property are fairly modest - though can't remember exactly how much.

Which does raise the question....So just how can a hard core, global doom is nigh HPC tin-foil hatter to go about storing that vital juice?  :D

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
33 minutes ago, anonguest said:

Which does raise the question....So just how can a hard core, global doom is nigh HPC tin-foil hatter to go about storing that vital juice?  :D

Thankfully nature provided me with a floppy sac that always seems to contain exactly the right amount of my vital juices...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
13 minutes ago, reddog said:

It does say what he has actually done wrong to deserve this.  The police van looks pretty heavily armed.

I assume you meant to write 'does not'?

In which case, I agree. Apart from perhaps being initially visited by plod in response to complaints about his dogs? and then things went from there?

But if not, and he was keeping out of peoples way, then it suggests he has overly intrusive busybody type neighbours?

Perhaps he is a hard core HPC'er and prattled on once too many times over the garden fence about how the world as we know was soon going to end and what a smart ars* he is in stockpiling XYZ....... :lol:

HOLA448
3 minutes ago, anonguest said:

I assume you meant to write 'does not'?

In which case, I agree. Apart from perhaps being initially visited by plod in response to complaints about his dogs? and then things went from there?

But if not, and he was keeping out of peoples way, then it suggests he has overly intrusive busybody type neighbours?

Perhaps he is a hard core HPC'er and prattled on once too many times over the garden fence about how the world as we know was soon going to end and what a smart ars* he is in stockpiling XYZ....... :lol:

Sorry, yes I meant doesn't.  It says in the mail that police were responding to a call from a 'concerned' neighbour.  But, it doesn't say what they were concerned about.

Seems a bit crazy that it quickly escalated to an armed standoff just because he did respond to them.  (Obviously none if this is questioned in the media).  

HOLA449
HOLA4410
1 minute ago, One-percent said:

So, have we got a prepper thread (can't believe that there isn't one)?

if not, how about starting here.  What would the well prepared off-topic hpcer stockpile and how would it be stored?

Dark chocolate Hob Nobs. 

Hard enough trying to get them now! Just wait and see how scarce they'll be after the apocalypse!  :D

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
1 minute ago, 200p said:

Why stockpile petrol? The last thing you need to worry about in a TEOTWAWKI situation is trying to get to work.

Food, medicines, supplies. and other bits and bobs.

Not to get to work no, but to high tail it out of urban areas to that Scottish island where you can hole up with your stockpile until order is restored 

HOLA4414

HOLA4415
43 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Not to get to work no, but to high tail it out of urban areas to that Scottish island where you can hole up with your stockpile until order is restored 

I don't have the luxury of multiple properties. Make your current one an "English man's Castle." Well unless one intends to go to the Shetlands, and commandeer someone else's property.

HOLA4416
3 minutes ago, 200p said:

I don't have the luxury of multiple properties. Make your current one an "English man's Castle." Well unless one intends to go to the Shetlands, and commandeer someone else's property.

But in a shtf end of the world scenario, preppers should have a backup plan.  This would include a map of uninhabited islands. There should be no need to own multiple properties or to requisition someone else's.  

Although. In true prepped form, the hpc massivevshoukd perhaps consider pooling our resources and purchasing one of the following 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cold-war-bunker-sale-15m-7495465

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3432120/Cold-War-bunker-space-200-beds-goes-sale-575-000.html

we would also need a supply of toc h lamps to illuminate the darkness of underground bunkers 

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Great line in the telegraph:

"One of my neighbours is an old lady who ran out of electricity, so someone who lives outside the 'line of control' had to go and get it for her."

Anyway, FWIW I think he's been advised to say nothing until his lawyer gets there, but he's not willing to pay weekend rates.

HOLA4420

From some Doomsday Prepper episodes i have watched:

They say you can Prep all you want and build a bunker out in the sticks etc but the biggest danger you face is "Getting out of the City" when things go full Mad Max.

"Grab Bags" are the order of the day, a rucksack packed with enough essentials to last 3-5days until you can make it out, to be carried everywhere with you and never at more than arms length away. 

Martial art training & / or a handful of Gold Sovereigns optional. ;)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
7 hours ago, workingpoor said:

From some Doomsday Prepper episodes i have watched:

They say you can Prep all you want and build a bunker out in the sticks etc but the biggest danger you face is "Getting out of the City" when things go full Mad Max.

"Grab Bags" are the order of the day, a rucksack packed with enough essentials to last 3-5days until you can make it out, to be carried everywhere with you and never at more than arms length away. 

Martial art training & / or a handful of Gold Sovereigns optional. ;)

Never has a TV scene made so many urbanites feel as inadequate as this one.

Almost seems like his pre-emptive play at inducing suicide amongst the potential competition in a SHTF scenario.

Can't help feeling it all escalates a bit quickly from getting stuck in a lift.

I think Adam Curtis more than a little rips off Burke's Connections, although, as time wore on you have to concede his connections got ever more tenuous. 

HOLA4423
5 hours ago, wherebee said:

Petrol goes off pretty quickly anyway, so I always saw it as a really stupid thing to try to prep store.

Do you recall an MP suggesting storing petrol in Gerry tins in garages?....something to do with tanker strikes, I would imagine so that people can still get to work/go shopping.!!!:huh:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/energy/fuel/9172391/Fuel-strike-minister-Francis-Maude-attacked-for-dangerous-advice-to-store-petrol.html

HOLA4424
6 hours ago, wherebee said:

Petrol goes off pretty quickly anyway, so I always saw it as a really stupid thing to try to prep store.

Diesel doesn't and it isn't particularly flammable. Farmers store it in 1000L ibc containers buried in the ground. I've mused about doing the same when prices are low. Not sure about the legality.

HOLA4425

Archived