House Price Crash Forum

Bad Places For A Holiday - 'british Tourists Attacked In Western Afghanistan'

newbonic

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/04/foreign-tourists-attacked-in-western-afghanistan/

"At least six foreign tourists and their driver were wounded in Afghanistan on Thursday in an attack by gunmen on their convoy as it passed through western Herat province, government officials said.
The group of at least a dozen travellers included eight British citizens, three Americans, and one German, but the nationalities of the casualties was not clear, said Jilani Farhad, a spokesman for Herat's governor."
Not my 1st choice for a holiday, I must say...

HOLA442
HOLA443

How do you relax when a large percentage of the indigenous population want you dead?

Madness going to these places.....SJW's think it's a good idea.....so let them go and spread their wonderful peace messages.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Shame as the likes of Afghanistan and Iraq look amazing places to visit.

I heard (may have been an Adam Curtis documentary) in the 60s it was not unusual for people to drive across Europe and the middle east all the way to India on the hippie trail and it was completely safe. It did look like a fasntastic trip to make.

HOLA447

Shame as the likes of Afghanistan and Iraq look amazing places to visit.

Indeed. Plus probably exactly the kind of income these places need.. Perhaps they could create "safe zones" for tourists like other countries do.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I heard (may have been an Adam Curtis documentary) in the 60s it was not unusual for people to drive across Europe and the middle east all the way to India on the hippie trail and it was completely safe. It did look like a fasntastic trip to make.

I know an old hippe couple who did that a few times. They caught the 'magic bus' from London through to India via Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan (you'd have to be certifiable (IMO) to try that today - like the dicks who went on hol in the OP).

They loved it back in the 70s though, before the Muslim world went mental. The last time they did it was in 1979 and the Iranian revolution was in full swing. The woman half got her cross on a chain ripped from her neck by a snarling Iranian bloke. They fled to Afghanistan for safety!

Shortly after the Russians invaded Afghanistan, and the old hippy trail was history.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Shall we do it - get a big red London bus (That won't attract attention) and we can all sing Cliff Richard songs on a HPC Summer Holiday to the land of free love in India. Probably will get no further than the Chunnel.

HOLA4412

The 'Silk Road' route sounds amazing, before real Islam took hold - circa 1979. Prior to the Russians going into Afghanistan

In the 60s/60s, a couple of my Dad mates cycled overland to Ghan from the UK.

Now that journey in itself is fcking nuts.

My Dad + his mates did fckall during the 50s + 60s. Just p1ssed about.

Then, the Hindu Kush/Kashmir was beautiful - its was like a long lost paradise.

That area's changed a lot since then.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

How do you relax when a large percentage of the indigenous population want you dead?

Madness going to these places.....SJW's think it's a good idea.....so let them go and spread their wonderful peace messages.

I was on Weymouth beach on Sunday, it was packed. A muslim man and his fully clad girlfriend/wife came and sat close by. They kept arguing because he wanted to go for a swim and she was nagging him to hurry up. I confess to feeling slightly anxious just by his presence. That makes me a terrible person but I can't escape that anxiety with everything going on.

HOLA4416

I was on Weymouth beach on Sunday, it was packed. A muslim man and his fully clad girlfriend/wife came and sat close by. They kept arguing because he wanted to go for a swim and she was nagging him to hurry up. I confess to feeling slightly anxious just by his presence. That makes me a terrible person but I can't escape that anxiety with everything going on.

They demonstrate by their refusal to follow British norms that they are an alien culture that won't integrate.

If it had been a black couple sat close by you I doubt that you would have been concerned or even particularly noticed. So you're not racist but instead worried about the presence of an alien culture, large elements of which want to destroy you and your culture.

Feeling anxious sounds rational to me.

HOLA4417

Shall we do it - get a big red London bus (That won't attract attention) and we can all sing Cliff Richard songs on a HPC Summer Holiday to the land of free love in India. Probably will get no further than the Chunnel.

Well, the bus probably won't fit onto the Shuttle trains.

HOLA4418

I bumped into a friend in Swansea city centre this morning and we got talking about the murder of that innocent woman last night.

Naturally, we speculated whether the islamic nutters were behind it and my friend speculated that people will soon need to be defending ourselves against muslim attackers. A young muslim looking lady was walking past at the time by chance - behind my friend as he was talking so he was not aware of her.

A few months ago I would have felt 'wrong' to be having such a conversation within her ear-shot so as not to worry or offend her. Today, I just thought WTF - our culture, way of life and lives are under attack.

HOLA4419

Yes, and the 'Magic Bus' followed the old Silk Road to India.

By the time (1979) I tried the journey the buses stopped at Turkey. Afghans were shooting at buses and the Iranians were getting a bit antsy. taking Americans hostage. Shortly afterwards Russia invaded Afghanistan.

HOLA4420

They demonstrate by their refusal to follow British norms that they are an alien culture that won't integrate.

If it had been a black couple sat close by you I doubt that you would have been concerned or even particularly noticed. So you're not racist but instead worried about the presence of an alien culture, large elements of which want to destroy you and your culture.

Feeling anxious sounds rational to me.

The giveaway is when they build sandcastles with little black paper flags on them.

HOLA4421

Want a view on Afghanistan in the hippy era? Here's one. Not remotely safe, but people had a different attitude back then. Or maybe the tourists of this headline are precisely the successors to those hippies.

Published in 1963, set in the late 1940s, features a pioneer of hippy ways among the characters. But more to the point, an amazing insight into what's happened in Afghanistan since then. He doesn't use the word "taliban", but he certainly describes them, and their role in society. He does anticipate the inevitability of a foreign power - meaning either USA or USSR in the world as then was - coming in to sort the Taliban out.

On the other hand, he doesn't anticipate that when the USSR eventually did go in, the West would arm and internationalise the religious nutjobs. Though I'm sure he'd've told us that that would end badly.

HOLA4422

Parts of Afghanistan are considered safe, Bamiyan for instance where the Taliban blew up the Budda statues.

The way to travel is to fly and not go overland in vehicles.

Fly to Kabul then fly on to Bamiyan or Herat.

Good Skiing there apparently, Bamiyan hosts an annual skiing competition.

There are tour companies providing trips there and annual tourist income is worth £131m

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-36974513

HOLA4423

How did you even know their religious leanings? Could he tell you yours?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

His beard, my crucifix :)

You should use this rule for discrimination is the ISLAM game:

With Muslims, in terms of facial hair, Muslims have a beard but no moustache where as other religions tend to have a tash as well. Thats one way of telling a Muslim. Also, sikhs where turbans and the sikh turban is different to a Muslim's. Its elliptical, whereas a Muslims is circular.

Lastly the best way of telling is by name...if they pay by card you can see their name and say assalamu alaikum if they're Muslim. Muslim names are very easy to distinguish from sikh and hindu names.

Its haraam to say salam to a kafir so avoid doing so unless you actually think its a Muslim insha'Allah

Archived