House Price Crash Forum

Breakdown Recovery

CunningPlan

HOLA441
HOLA442

I moved from AA to Green Flag after the AA forgot to take my automatic renewal and didn't apologise when I found out several months later that my cover had lapsed and phoned them up. No explanation or apology so no thank you.

I had cause to use AA when I was them and they were very good; I haven't had to use Green Flag but they have at least continued to renew my cover! They're also not ratcheting it up so I can wholegeartedly say: "They're ok".

HOLA443

I've used recovery three times in twenty years of driving. I must have done at least 400k miles in that time. Once I called upon the AA of which I was a member at the time, the second time I rang a bloke I know who has a low loader and the last time I joined the RAC on the spot for a couple of hundred quid and they towed me home.

I think on balance I've probably saved quite a bit over paying every year to be a member of a breakdown service.

HOLA444

I use Auto Aid as they are far cheaper than AA/RAC. They don't have their own fleet, but can arrange for a local company to come to you. You can also arrange your own recovery and reclaim the costs.

I used them for the first time about a week ago. I had a faulty fuel tank indicator, and ran out of fuel. It took about 1.5 hours for a low loader to turn up. He put me on the back of his wagon and took me to a petrol station where I filled up, tested the car and unloaded it when it started working.

They have just announced that they have been taken over, so I don't know how the future will pan out. At the end of the day, breakdown recovery is just insurance, and I don't think the (allegedly) enhanced services of the RAC/AA are worth it.

I think that was the first time in about 7 years I have called out a breakdown service, which is remarkable given I have driven hundreds of miles on three cylinders when an ignition coil failed , and drove around for a while with bit of spark plug rattling around in the cylinder.

HOLA445

I moved from AA to Green Flag after the AA forgot to take my automatic renewal and didn't apologise when I found out several months later that my cover had lapsed and phoned them up. No explanation or apology so no thank you.

I had cause to use AA when I was them and they were very good; I haven't had to use Green Flag but they have at least continued to renew my cover! They're also not ratcheting it up so I can wholegeartedly say: "They're ok".

AA or RAC will ensnare you with their services, but in joining you are in fact lending your voice to a campaigning organisation: a lobby group that serves a similar purpose to, for instance, the 'merkin NRA.

Green Flag (and I expect Auto Aid, though I hadn't heard of them), offer the service without the sinister Agenda.

HOLA446
HOLA447

I should really cancel my £13.50 a month 'premium' bank account that includes RAC membership. On the one occasion I've broken down in 10+ years of paying up they turned up and did everything I could have expected.

HOLA448

I use Auto Aid as they are far cheaper than AA/RAC. They don't have their own fleet, but can arrange for a local company to come to you. You can also arrange your own recovery and reclaim the costs.

I used them for the first time about a week ago. I had a faulty fuel tank indicator, and ran out of fuel. It took about 1.5 hours for a low loader to turn up. He put me on the back of his wagon and took me to a petrol station where I filled up, tested the car and unloaded it when it started working.

They have just announced that they have been taken over, so I don't know how the future will pan out. At the end of the day, breakdown recovery is just insurance, and I don't think the (allegedly) enhanced services of the RAC/AA are worth it.

I think that was the first time in about 7 years I have called out a breakdown service, which is remarkable given I have driven hundreds of miles on three cylinders when an ignition coil failed , and drove around for a while with bit of spark plug rattling around in the cylinder.

Did you know it was just fuel? Where were you? Just interested as would have thought there were about 3-4 options I'd have taken before getting the car on a low loader!

HOLA449

Also been using Auto Aid for years and have used them about 5 or 6 times. Having been an AA and RAC member at various points over the years they have always been slower getting out to you. I think this is because Auto Aid basically use whoever is nearest and available to get to you and then the insurance policy pays out. If you are'nt worried about the upfront cost of paying for recovery and reclaiming it later this is definitely for you. I have also had great experiences with the recovery people going the extra mile. One guy helped me take a broken down van full of PA equipment back to our depot to unload, then took me 100 miles back home to drop of the rental van, then took me another 10 miles to drop me off at my home.

HOLA4410

Did you know it was just fuel? Where were you? Just interested as would have thought there were about 3-4 options I'd have taken before getting the car on a low loader!

Its a diesel. No warning lights came up - the engine just stopped without any suspicious noises. My first thought was fuel pump and that might still be a problem, but it is an old car and I'll now just keep it at least half full of fuel to ease the strain on the pumps.

HOLA4411
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4412

I have not paid for this in years as I have hardly been travelling far in my car - hardly using iit in fact. Was just out now, about 3 miles from home, in Aldi and returning to the car the engine did not turn over. Just dead.

I think I may have pressed the car lock/unlock button on the key as I turned over. Not sure. Anyhow, I waited a few minutes, prayed and then tried again. It turned over. At which point I drove home and have been looking at the options.

I was quite surprised that Direct Line do not, on their website anyhow, offer a discount for current customers and their prices seem to have soared. Probably will go with them unless I can get a good deal from the A which is unlikely.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I was in Herne Bay a few years ago (miles from home) and I went back to my car, stepped on the clutch pedal and the clutch cable broke. A plastic bit on the end apparently, quite common on Peugeot 306's. The RAC man turned up and put a new one on. I thought that was pretty good service.

I've got cover with my car insurance now, Hastings Premier. Just a basic level of cover I think. I suspect with a smartphone the DIY call-centre route is probably the way to go. I don't own a "devil's dildo" yet though.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Get a Nationwide FlexPlus account. £10 per month and it gives European breakdown cover, mobile phone insurance, travel insurance and some other benefits, plus 5% interest on first £2500 balance. Very good deal.

You have to be careful with some of these 'free' insurances. The travel insurance often will not cover things such as diabetes, asthma, etc, and I was reading yesterday of similar insurance schemes where the firms wanted to see the service records of the cars, then billed the customer.

I am not saying that is the case with the NW but it is something to bear in mind generally.

HOLA4422

You have to be careful with some of these 'free' insurances. The travel insurance often will not cover things such as diabetes, asthma, etc, and I was reading yesterday of similar insurance schemes where the firms wanted to see the service records of the cars, then billed the customer.

I am not saying that is the case with the NW but it is something to bear in mind generally.

Same with the break down cover, had it with a bank account I think. When I needed to use it after my clutch went was told they will tow me 10 miles max, then £1 a mile. Complete waste of time.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

99% of most people's journeys are within 10 miles of home.

Fair enough, updated statement in coming...

Complete waste of time for me and would never consider using a service with such levels. Anything under 10 miles I'm more than capable of getting a bus home or worst case scenario walk home. Equally would be able to recover the car easily with the aid of a friend and tow rope (fault permitting).

Archived