House Price Crash Forum

Lloyds Plans 3000 Job Cuts

HOLA441
HOLA442

On my last visit to a bank branch the automated deposit machine could not or would not recongnise some of the £20's in the batch. The machine could not cope and voided the whole batch!

I don't think there's been a pressing weekly need to go into bank branches for decades.

As for digital they say for apps e.g. android get the updates. However, my understanding , experience of say Android is it's full of bugs, and manufacturers don't bother to do security updates!

HOLA443

if there are no branches locally, how will people get their cash out or in........the post offices now cater for many small transactions including paying in cheques......cash money very conveniently is starting to become a obstacle......part of the plan? ;)

HOLA444

Digital is killing branches. Hardly anyone goes into them any more.

...in the 80's I attended courses where they announced bank branches were finished and would be turned into fast food outlets or funeral parlours...these Banks have taken a long time to discover this..... :rolleyes:

HOLA445

...in the 80's I attended courses where they announced bank branches were finished and would be turned into fast food outlets or funeral parlours...these Banks have taken a long time to discover this..... :rolleyes:

Ah missed wetherspooms.

HOLA446
HOLA447

I don't even like going in because it feels like all their heads are turning and eyes zooming on a source of fresh meat to be sold something. It's like those zombie films.

??

HOLA448
HOLA449

OK I'd admit I only pop into the bank if my card in the ATM gets jammed outside.

In China, the banks sell gold and silver coins. They could also offer a multitude of services such as storage, transfer etc. Many new types of fee could be introduced.

I think if I was a radical CEO I would introduce this because people like to ogle at the real thing in branch, and come back to see new designs such as different animals and things (Pandas, Tigers, Lions). There would also be monthly special offers to keep punters coming back (Supermarket trick).

HOLA4410

I would then do a deal with Nintendo so they can collect specially commissioned gold pokemon (virtual) in branches via smartphone or tablet. This will be great for the kids as the next generation of customer. The parents then collect actual specially commissioned gold and silver pokemon inspired coins - of which there are 500 characters (all of different price depending on numbers produced of each character), and there are 500 new characters released each year. People then post on facebook and instagram about how they found this rare one, and youtube blog the unboxing of the anniversary ones. The banks then give all the celebs secretly free ones, so the populace follow on their lead, because we all aspire to be like them.

Oh and guess what, there are super rare ones, which command a high numismatic value.

Competing banks have their own characters, and you can do battle with your friends, who bank with different banks.

Edited by 200p

HOLA4411

They should also be able to store your "longterm" bitcoins - I'd be getting in on the act on this. OK sure you can store them yourself, but the bank can also do this for a small fee, to ensure they are safe and insured. Cha-ching.

I can't believe the banks have stood still for so long. This is their "uber moment", (some quote from some banker.)

Edited by 200p

HOLA4412
Guest TheBlueCat

In China, the banks sell gold and silver coins.

And in Canada too! Not all branches have coins (and small bars too) but most of the bigger ones do and they can all get them for you.

HOLA4413

In China, the banks sell gold and silver coins.

This is a way banks could get much more business through the door. I'm surprised they've not done it. Simply offer the standard range of bullion coins (gold and silver) in branch and a gold trading counter. They could even provide anonymous deposit boxes.

Plenty of ways they could get people in the door. They just aren't being creative enough.

Edited by Errol

HOLA4414

And in Canada too! Not all branches have coins (and small bars too) but most of the bigger ones do and they can all get them for you.

They widely used to sell gold coins in the big UK banks.....Sovereigns and Krugerrands......then they could be stored in a locked box in the bank safe, nothing unusual with that. ;)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

If they are to sell for storage, it would have to be allocated bullion.

Don't know what that means.....they sold gold coins to all customers to do as they pleased with, if they wanted storage at the local branch that service was provided for often at no charge......insurance was up to the person with the box, 100% their risk. ;)

HOLA4417

This is a way banks could get much more business through the door. I'm surprised they've not done it. Simply offer the standard range of bullion coins (gold and silver) in branch and a gold trading counter. They could even provide anonymous deposit boxes.

Plenty of ways they could get people in the door. They just aren't being creative enough.

They don't want people through the door. They don't want a shop and overheads. They are happy to see the decline of branchdroids and brings costs (and gross profit) down.

Why fight....if you were a director of a firm earning £2.5bn do you need to fight for unprofitable punters coming through the doors.

Shops are not profitable. Banking is.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I see this as a positive move. After all if banks are just wall machines until they ban cash they can't talk about the loss of life at branches on MSM when the people revolt and start burning them to the ground. No one's gonna get life for burning a computer to the ground just to make a point when all the riots start. Besides that job losses in a sector that is clearly bloated isn't anything to cry about IMHO.

Now if I could remember where that website was that listed counts of bankers earning over 1M - Greese had <5 in 2009 while the UK? It was like 4 or 5 figures!

HOLA4420

The Counting House is my personal favourite:

http://www.the-counting-house.com/

Me too. I work nearby and it is a great pub. The Knights Templar in Chancery Lane is another good example.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=the+knights+templar+pub&prmd=mivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjuh_uv6prOAhVBLMAKHbMLCQ8Q_AUICCgC&biw=360&bih=559

HOLA4421
Guest TheBlueCat

Me too. I work nearby and it is a great pub. The Knights Templar in Chancery Lane is another good example.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=the+knights+templar+pub&prmd=mivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjuh_uv6prOAhVBLMAKHbMLCQ8Q_AUICCgC&biw=360&bih=559

Yes, I used to work pretty close by on Old Broad Street. I've not been to the Knight's Templar though, must try that next time I'm back in the City.