House Price Crash Forum

Britains Big Night In

libitina

HOLA441

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1207480,00.html

Apparently 70% of people are opting to stay in tonight, a rise of 20% on last year.

It's a Saturday night, New Years Eve and everyones staying in?? They haven't even got their CC bills yet, lol!

Happy New Year to you all. :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

let's see ......

go out, it's raining, cold, taxis are extortionate, pubs will be packed, drinks will be twice the price, I'll be sick and probably mugged in my drunkin stupor

or

friends round, it's warm, comfortable, no crush, supermarket booze, can make the short journey to bed which is next to the bathroom should it be necessary :D

HOLA448
Apparently 70% of people are opting to stay in tonight, a rise of 20% on last year.

I've never known so many of my friends say "we are having a quiet night in"... don't blame them, everywhere overcharging for beer, to eat or even to get in... and of course the tube "strike" (or union trying to get one over depending on your pov). It's now just "too commerical" and driving people home.

What is new year anyway.... just a random point in time, where the big number in our choice of clock ticks over to a new number. There are more important things in life.

HOLA449

Us folks in London are somewhat hampered by the problems with London Underground tonight.

I couldn't possibly comment on the rumour that Tony Blair and Gordon Brown will attempt to drive tube trains later this evening.

A cheap publicity stunt aimed at getting a few more votes whilst the economy grows more pear shaped by the day.

HOLA4410

Us folks in London are somewhat hampered by the problems with London Underground tonight.

I couldn't possibly comment on the rumour that Tony Blair and Gordon Brown will attempt to drive tube trains later this evening.

A cheap publicity stunt aimed at getting a few more votes whilst the economy grows more pear shaped by the day.

Here's a dedication to all LU strikers.

London Underground Song

Turn up the volume!!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Quietest NYE I've ever seen where I am.

I've gone into town every NYE since '97 and this one was absolutely a non-event apart from the fireworks themselves. OK, there's a big music festival out of town which has taken probably half the city crowd, but that is the exact same size this year as it was last year and yet the number of people in the city was way down. And a large portion of the crowd arrived well after 11PM and had gone by 1AM which suggests they really only came to see the fireworks and didn't have a night out as such.

The biggest nightclub in town has just shut (due to noise issues) and that takes out probably 40% of the capacity of the whole industry (it was by far the biggest club). BUT I walked past 4 other clubs and only one of them had any sort of queue and even that wasn't too bad. One was noticeably quite empty to the point that I doubt they would have rejected anyone because of shoes etc. Given that there was the constant threat of rain (though it only drizzled really) I would have thought people would have been pretty keen to get into clubs once the fireworks were finished. It seems they went home instead. There wasn't even much of a queue for taxis and yet I've waited until 7AM to get one in the past. Even a policeman standing next to me watching the fireworks made the unprompted comment that it was incredibly quiet for a NYE.

Maybe the threat of rain or maybe a lot of them thought it would be impossible to get in anywhere with the biggest club just shut down and didn't bother going out at all as a result. But whatever it was, they weren't spending much money last night.

HOLA4415

It might aswell not of happend. Everyone with thier kids, just wanting an early night, kids wont stay in bed,30 year old guys checking with each other to see if thier missus says they're "allowed" to get p*ssed, in bed by 1.

F*ckin joy - wheres my rope.

Edited by theChuz

HOLA4416

Spent NYE indoors with 'er indoors. Watched a couple of movies (Sahara is quite good fun but War of the Worlds is utter [insert expletive]) and then cuddled up with missus for the actual clock strike.

Never go out in the evenings anymore (unless I'm abroad) as watching people who can't hold their drink marrauding the streets looking for a fight or a shag is a bit boring.

But Happy New Year to you all - here's hoping 2006 is better than 2005.

Edited by greencat

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I broke the habit of a lifetime and actually went out for New Year, in hated London.

Me and two friends were wandering aimlessly around; The Savoy was charging £15 a head just to sit in the bar. Had a quick drink in Simpson's instead. Then we blagged our way into the OXO Tower Restaurant overlooking the Thames. Apparantly it was a private party and the wine was free if you were in a certain 'group'.....which of course we were. Danced to a bit of Kool And The Gang on their makeshift dancefloor, and pitied the poor sods who had paid hundreds of pounds to eat an overpriced meal.

All in all, a very happy and frugal new year.

P.S. the "fireworks" on the Thames were crap. Buncefield was far better.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I was at my favourite restaurant in Lower Heswall Wirral, now here`s a thing, it`s a by ticket invite (free for me and mine, the owner`s a good friend). Anyhow less than half full in comparison to last year when it was heaving and you couldn`t find a seat. Not complaining, great atmosphere, just noted that maybe certain people are all spent up <_<

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I stayed in for the first time since '98, for the last month going out in southampton has been absolutely dead on a friday and only a little better on a saturday. On friday night they even closed an adjoining club to make the other club look more busy but it was still not very busy. I think this is a reflection on the hard times which is starting to hit peoples wallets. Even i couldn't be arsed to go out because of the rip off prices, and I'm not exactly broke, went round my mates instead. Maybe I'm just getting old :blink: