House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Words, words, all words.

Remainers are still devastated and cannot get over it.

Merkel ruined the EU.

That is now very clear.

EU never was a good Idea anyway.

All strife is caused by Politicians, Priests, Teachers, Poets, and dreamers.

For Christ's sake, just leave the people alone.

HOLA444

Davis's speech* in February suggested that the pull factor for EU migrants is not in work benefits but better pay, particularly as the NLW is rising to £9 ph in 2020.

*(h/t to Roy)

http://www.daviddavismp.com/david-davis-speech-on-brexit-at-the-institute-of-chartered-engineers/

Here's some calculations Open Europe did in 2014, regarding benefits...

http://archive.openeurope.org.uk/Article/Page/en/LIVE?id=22825&page=PressReleases#

c7359307eaf7c7687f5bad81a73779bc.jpg

f1e96c4eafa35e3f00a18b43011a538b.jpg

HOLA445

I think you are in edinburgh - what negative effect has FOM had there?

Anecdote from 4 hours ago. Sitting outside a boozer - table next to us a couple of locals talking to a couple of polish.

Discussion was how their wait on the housing list was going on.

FOM has been an absolute disaster for Edinburgh.

HOLA446

Anecdote from 4 hours ago. Sitting outside a boozer - table next to us a couple of locals talking to a couple of polish.

That's fcking sh!te - again down to a fcked up benefits/welfare system that doesn't differentiate between uk citizens and eu nationals. THAT'S where the reform should be imho

Edited by knock out johnny

HOLA447

Some people believe any unsubstantiated story, personally I would need a little more convincing.

Anecdote - 4 hours ago I was sitting outside the polish centre in London, full of hard working economically active people. Four scots were fighting in the street outside, covered in sick, drinking kestrel super strength and demanding more cash from the English under the Barnet formula.

Edited by Royw6

HOLA448
HOLA449

Exiting the EU: Ministerial Statement

It means getting the best deal for Britain – one that is unique to Britain and not an ‘off the shelf’ solution. This must mean controls on the numbers of people who come to Britain from Europe – but also a positive outcome for those who wish to trade in goods and services.

This is a historic and positive moment for our nation. Brexit is not about making the best of a bad job. It is about seizing the huge and exciting opportunities that will flow from a new place for Britain in the world. There will be new freedoms, new opportunities, new horizons for this great country.

We can get the right trade policy for the UK. We can create a more dynamic economy, a beacon for free trade across the world. We want to make sure our regulatory environment helps rather than hinders businesses and workers. We can create an immigration system that allows us to control numbers and encourage the brightest and the best to come to this country.

But I want to be clear to our European friends and allies: we do not see Brexit as ending our relationship with Europe. It is about starting a new one.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/exiting-the-european-union-ministerial-statement-5-september-2016

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I think David Davis doesn't know what he's on about..

I think he is rolling back gently on his previous position, he can't do an about turn, just has to go back one step at a time. As I have said previously, the term working migrant (or similar) will become something banded about more and more by all ministers (apart from Liam fox who'll be sidelined) leading to FOM by any other name.

Edited by Royw6

HOLA4413

The fact that May has ruled out points system, indicates that she is still welcoming unskilled migrants.

Will there even be any criteria, or do you just rock up at the border and get your passport /visa stamp and youre in for good, without a job or any financial backing.

Happy days, cant curb population growth, keep the bubble going and going.

HOLA4414

The fact that May has ruled out points system, indicates that she is still welcoming unskilled migrants.

Will there even be any criteria, or do you just rock up at the border and get your passport /visa stamp and youre in for good, without a job or any financial backing.

..I see tonight she is offering as an alternative to the points system ...'no job...no visa'...the points system lets in people with the points but no job..... :rolleyes:

HOLA4415

I think she`s gambling in the same way as Cameron gambled on wining the referendum

The balance of power wants high immigration for the reasons you allude to ,the only difference now , is they will be held to account by the electorate for the decisions they make ,no more hiding in the shadows of EU rules

Once again the ballot box will decide if the politicians have made the right decisions ,the mandate was clear they will ignore it at their peril ,there`s a massive own goal out there waiting to be scored

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

If you are going to allow a parasite...might as well have it paying tax in your manor.

Indeed. It also depends on what business Frankfurt is looking to gain - it's not necessarily the fraudulent parasite business and even if it did tap some of that it has other sectors strong and influential enough to balance it. Britain doesn't.

HOLA4418

Yes after it has dealt with the matters in hand 1/Europe 2/Pacific

I don't see how any of this is invention.

So we differ.

In any event the vote to Leave took the well publicised end of queue threat made before the referendum into account and the majority still voted to Leave.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4419

..I see tonight she is offering as an alternative to the points system ...'no job...no visa'...the points system lets in people with the points but no job..... :rolleyes:

Points system also ensures other criteria, no criminal record, good health, working ages, skills, education, financial backing... I expect it is simply to limiting to population growth and too expensive to implement so lets not bother.

HOLA4420

So we differ.

In any event the vote to Leave took the well publicised end of queue threat made before the referendum into account and the majority still voted to Leave.

Of course - because a vast bloc of leave voters took a nuanced view of the short, medium and long term implications that their vote would have on the implications of trade agreement negotiations :rolleyes:

That's a relief, as it's more than can be said for the politicos fronting the leave campaign :lol:

Laughable - truly fcking laughable

Edited by knock out johnny

HOLA4421

Davis's speech* in February suggested that the pull factor for EU migrants is not in work benefits but better pay, particularly as the NLW is rising to £9 ph in 2020.

*(h/t to Roy)

http://www.daviddavismp.com/david-davis-speech-on-brexit-at-the-institute-of-chartered-engineers/

Was that the Royal Institute of Chartered Engineers in the US - doing a google there doesn't seem to be an organisation titled "The Institute of Chartered Engineers" in the UK.

It's not made clear in the link.

If so I expect British engineers would find it a bit disappointing and think it a bit of a shame that he had to take his speech to US engineers in the US rather than make it to British engineers in Britain.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Of course - because a vast bloc of leave voters took a nuanced view of the short, medium and long term implications that their vote would have on the implications of trade agreement negotiations :rolleyes:

That's a relief, as it's more than can be said for the politicos fronting the leave campaign :lol:

Laughable - truly fcking laughable

It's certainly is laughable that despite all the threats the majority voted Leave when the remainers were so confident that they would have a majority.

HOLA4424

It's certainly is laughable that despite all the threats the majority voted Leave when the remainers were so confident that they would have a majority.

fcking laughable - enjoy your fudge - it's coming. You've been served the first course already :lol:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-04/may-expresses-doubts-about-brexit-campaign-s-key-promises :lol:

img22187.768x512.jpg

:lol: Edited by knock out johnny

HOLA4425

I think she`s gambling in the same way as Cameron gambled on wining the referendum

The balance of power wants high immigration for the reasons you allude to ,the only difference now , is they will be held to account by the electorate for the decisions they make ,no more hiding in the shadows of EU rules

Once again the ballot box will decide if the politicians have made the right decisions ,the mandate was clear they will ignore it at their peril ,there`s a massive own goal out there waiting to be scored

+1

Indeed it's looking more and more like that now unless she replaces it with something more effective than a points system.