HOLA441
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

HOLA443

Genuine question.

Has anyone come across anything intelligent setting out a rational potential outcome for the UK if we leave? Something like this http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexitvote/2016/05/27/dear-friends-this-is-why-i-will-vote-remain-in-the-referendum/

I keep seeing loads of quite well thought out and articulate arguments like this for staying. But for leave - not so many. Does anyone have a link?

Not a leave but its not overly biased in any direction and its coming from someone who should have a pretty good understanding http://moneyweek.com/mervyn-king-should-we-stay-or-should-we-go/

HOLA444

^ express link

He said: “Great Britain plays a crucial role in the balance of the EU.

“It is a strong voice for reform. Economic and security policy means [much to the] country, so if they leave the EU, it will all be lost and you will see a very introverted Europe.”

A voice for reform but never achieving any.

Danish politician looking for a scapegoat/an excuse for Denmark's crashing economy - and it's Brexit.

Edited by billybong

HOLA445
HOLA446

Any evidence for that? Sounds like a load of hot air.

There's some interesting analysis here.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/05/20/revealed-evidence-greater-skews-phone-polls/

It's mainly about the difference in polling techniques, but it states that by far the biggest predictor of whether you'll be remain or Brexit is whether you have a university education or not.

Given there are probably a fair number of university educated pro Brexit Tories out there, that leaves a sizeable rump of middle class left leaning remain voters.

I've personally not met a single middle class lefty brexiter yet.

HOLA447

People sitting on large house price equity are more concerned with the traffic jams, and queuing 3 weeks to see the GP.

1.png

I doubt Noel Edmonds cares about Gidiot rigging the property market in his favour, he'd be rich without it.

But after driving around the country the last week visiting friends i've never seen the roads so busy no matter what time of day it is. Britain is chock-a-block full.

HOLA448

I doubt Noel Edmonds cares about Gidiot rigging the property market in his favour, he'd be rich without it.

But after driving around the country the last week visiting friends i've never seen the roads so busy no matter what time of day it is. Britain is chock-a-block full.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Yep and nothings happen yet but it`s the poll i was highlighting 64k votes 93% out 7% in

Amazing figures - has the express taken the poll down as it doesn't seem to be on the link at the moment or do you have to register or something.

There is a poll but it doesn't seem to be working or giving total results.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4411

No change to friends and family voting intentions 45L/40R/15DK %.

The remainians are broadly convinced by 'risk of leaping into the unknown'.

The brexiters broadly want control of destiny with immigration being the key factor.

Sad to see how effective small soundbites of propaganda are with couple of friends i.e. decision made and not interested in discussing it further - more important things etc. Suspect they may not even vote...

To be honest, have found it's a conversation killer out and about at work

HOLA4412

if we were closer to the EU and actually had the euro we would of had a big HPC, instead sterling devaluation was a big part of the housing bubble props.

if we come out of the EU then the banks will be given more free reign and the city of london will retain all its wealth never to be distributed to the rest of the country. The super rich in london would get richer. the average joe in london definitely wont.

closer union and more clamp downs on the city. All the european money (our money really) being used on projects around the UK would NOT of been spent by the UK government if it had the money to spend itself. it would all go to the southeast.

The rest of the EU has been going through serious pain and low growth after their own bubbles, they are starting to actually get small shoots of real ACTUAL growth coming through, we are about to have our bubble finally collapse. That will happen anyway inside or outside of the EU. so we can be stuck on our little island tethered to a large trade zone which has real growth as we struggle with the bubble popping.

Or we can be alone, a broke little island with no external support with only a badly burst property bubble. i rather be have the EU helping us through this rough patch than go through it alone.

HOLA4413

Or we can be alone, a broke little island with no external support with only a badly burst property bubble. i rather be have the EU helping us through this rough patch than go through it alone.

Like they are helping Greece you mean? And helped Ireland?

HOLA4414

For starters I see nothing to substantiate any of your claims. And "go it alone" - is that another "Leaving the EU means becoming isolationist" line? There are a lot of different positions between being isolationist and wanting to be a vassal in the EU Empire, like, oh, working together whilst remaining entirely independent, which is probably what people thought we were getting when we joined it.

You may want to sell your soul to the devil to get over a rough patch, plenty of people don't.

HOLA4415

if we were closer to the EU and actually had the euro we would of had a big HPC....

That just proves the point doesn't it? It's because of not being in the euro we could do what suited us, so we came out 'better'. Why is this not a valid point for say trade deals, benefits, immigration, fishing, democracy, jobs, population, schools, transport, education, housing, energy, water etc etc ?

Your points are all conjecture... If I buy a paper from a muslim newsagent do I have to convert first?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I still think they rig the polls so they can get away with rigging the election.

Let's face it, even if they get caught, red handed, nothing will happen.

Exactly like the money the Tory party spent on beating Farage, seems the Tory party are making sure the local Gendarmes don't look into this at all.

Truly are just a region of the European version of the Soviet Union.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I'd rather the bubble burst we were forced to deal with the consequences.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I think the same. A leave vote is a vote for a another vote.

Well my ideal outcome would be that we get a leave vote but it panics everyone too much to actually leave but enough to reform the EU into something worth having. Sweet FA chance of that though.

HOLA4422

With the people I've talked to, it seems to be age related. young 'uns want in, oldies want out.

A very left wing forum I sometimes lurk at is huge for staying in. Somehow they think a Brexit means that they'll never get rid of the tories.

Betfair has staying in a massive favourite. Over £17m traded so far and the current odds are 1.35/1.36 so near enough 3 to 1 on.

HOLA4423

Amazing figures - has the express taken the poll down as it doesn't seem to be on the link at the moment or do you have to register or something.

There is a poll but it doesn't seem to be working or giving total results.

Yep it`s still there the box/window below the cameron video you may have to scroll the image using the tab on the side of the window

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/674682/Why-Denmark-wants-Britain-Remain-Finance-minister-predicts-economy-CRASH-Brexit

Edited by long time lurking

HOLA4424

With the people I've talked to, it seems to be age related. young 'uns want in, oldies want out.

A very left wing forum I sometimes lurk at is huge for staying in. Somehow they think a Brexit means that they'll never get rid of the tories.

Betfair has staying in a massive favourite. Over £17m traded so far and the current odds are 1.35/1.36 so near enough 3 to 1 on.

Bookies odds have nothing to do with the likely outcome its all about money on each side and they have even less to do with the outcome in a two horse race with no previous form to influence the betting

Working poor posted odds just after the announcement they were something like 7/4 remain 5/2 leave but he said 89% of the total number of bets placed were on leave (where he got those percentages from i don`t know but would be interested to to know where they come from if anyone knows )

HOLA4425

I still think they rig the polls so they can get away with rigging the election.

Let's face it, even if they get caught, red handed, nothing will happen.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jul/14/gchq-tools-manipulate-online-information-leak

They have been caught rigging polls, and you're right, nothing happened. Except Theresa May wants to give them more power.

Although it does beg the question, assuming they have manipulated online polls in favour of Brexit, for what reason?

Edited by spunko2010