House Price Crash Forum

An Enormous Motoring Faux Pas

Si1

HOLA441

This is the thing, I've carefully tried to balance the trolley freestanding in the past and with wriggling kids in it it has on several occasions rolled off into the side of another parked car. I feel the risk of scratches is overall less of a trolley is carefully leant against a bumper.

This just gets worse :(. Perhaps you should carry some rope with you and firmly tie the trolley to your own car.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

This just gets worse :(. Perhaps you should carry some rope with you and firmly tie the trolley to your own car.

I'll just go and hand myself in at the local police station.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Now that's the kind of attitude that would cause a huge row if you'd just let your trolley roll into my car. How would you like it if I let my trolley roll into your kids?

They'd be fine. Kids tend to bounce.

HOLA446

They'd be fine. Kids tend to bounce.

Well that's good to know.

What would have happened on one of the "several occasions" your trolley rolled away with your "wriggling kids" in it had it not been retarded by the deforming bodywork of someone else's car?

HOLA447

Well that's good to know.

What would have happened on one of the "several occasions" your trolley rolled away with your "wriggling kids" in it had it not been retarded by the deforming bodywork of someone else's car?

What point are you trying to make?

HOLA448

What point are you trying to make?

That you are making light of your routine careless behaviour that is likely to upset anyone that you come into contact with.

A tip for the future, the best way to pacify an irate owner who's car you have damaged it to smile and tell them that you can hardly see the dent so there's no harm done.

Perhaps I am bit sensitive on the subject having recently returned to my car to find a dent in the door caused by a similarly careless individual.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

That you are making light of your routine careless behaviour that is likely to upset anyone that you come into contact with.

Are you suggesting I refrain from using shopping trolleys or perhaps taking my kids to the supermarket at all?

HOLA4411

Personally, if I saw you very carefully inching your trolley into the bumper of my 11 year old car and resting it there I would be fine with it. But in the much more likely scenario that I came back to find it resting there I would naturally assume that it had rolled into it with some force and thus would be put out, at least until I could establish that it hadn't left a mark.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Are you suggesting I refrain from using shopping trolleys or perhaps taking my kids to the supermarket at all?

If you can't control a shopping trolley without using other people's cars a bump stops, then yes. What if your out of control trolley full of kids missed the car you were intending to use as a bump stop and rolled into the path of a moving car?

HOLA4414

I wouldn't do it, and I'd think someone else doing that to demonstrate a lack of consideration.

Less so with the car we have now which is just a normal hatchback thing, but had you done that with my beloved Corrado VR6 which needed a new bumper at one stage at a cost of about £900 (though the place that repaired it managed to patch and paint it in the end), I think I might have had something to say on the matter.

Oohh - I forgot about these motors. Stunning

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I posit he's suggesting you don't use other peoples cars to stop your shopping trolley rolling away (kids or no kids)

Which is perfectly reasonable - you can always use your own car

HOLA4417

I posit he's suggesting you don't use other peoples cars to stop your shopping trolley rolling away (kids or no kids)

Which is perfectly reasonable - you can always use your own car

Tbh that's a fair point. I just never thought it was a big deal resting your trolley against any car bumper.

HOLA4418

I, a harried parent, rested my supermarket trolley ever so carefully and gently against another car's bumper whilst I unloaded it. Then I got a right telling off from the cars owner whilst they returned (no scratches done and I offered my name and address if she wanted it).

Is this really such an enormous no-no if you're careful?

Anyone can rest their trolley on my car, be my guest.......no fancy car = no worries nor losses, add any scratch or dent to the existing......turning out to be quite an original masterpiece. :)

HOLA4419

Tbh that's a fair point. I just never thought it was a big deal resting your trolley against any car bumper.

It is a massive deal! lol

Especially of you do it to someone's pride & joy as previously mentioned.

I go out of my way to park well away from the front of supermarkets where most of this goes on.

If i came back and saw someone resting their trolley against my Type R i would flip.

HOLA4420

In practice I understand the solution isn't so drastic.

I did this - about 15 years ago. Luckily I was skint so didn't top up fully. Maybe ended up with 50/50 mix. Drove away and then felt weird and all spluttery and then realised what I had done. Managed to get to Kwik fit as just along the road.

Bloke was sound and told me to splutter back to the garage and fill up fully with diesel. Would be fine.

He was right. Don't think he even charged me. This is a nice reminder though as my recent visit to Kwik fit saw me getting ass raped. That's us evens I suppose.

As for bumps - I paid £300 last week to an old burd whose car I bumped into whilt parking for the local park run. Not a big dent but ****** me what an expensive move.

Does anyone else with an old (99) car like mine forget sometimes that whilst we don't give a shite about bumps on our own cars + the other person may do !!??

HOLA4421

To lighten the mood.. another driver had been irritating me on the way to the shopping centre in Harlow by driving too close behind me. And if you've ever been in a car driven by me you'd know that I don't hang about.

Rather than going up the slope I wheel spin a little as I thrust the car forward just enough to get out of the way as the car behind lurches up the slope only to have a full trolley full of shopping come down to meet it and smash into it.

Oh, how we laughed.

A superb bit of just deserts!

HOLA4422

It is a massive deal! lol

Especially of you do it to someone's pride & joy as previously mentioned.

I go out of my way to park well away from the front of supermarkets where most of this goes on.

If i came back and saw someone resting their trolley against my Type R i would flip.

I'd certainly think twice about a nice motor like that. But a tiny little Hyundai tin can with an 07 plate?

Mine's a well worn 03 crv with the rear spare wheel sporting an attractive massive lock chain to stop it getting nicked, so I could agree it's easy to forget the pride and joy aspect when yours is just a mode of transport.

HOLA4423

I'd certainly think twice about a nice motor like that. But a tiny little Hyundai tin can with an 07 plate?

Mine's a well worn 03 crv with the rear spare wheel sporting an attractive massive lock chain to stop it getting nicked, so I could agree it's easy to forget the pride and joy aspect when yours is just a mode of transport.

It's not your car. Piss on your own lawn and not your neighbour's.

HOLA4424

Personally, I stay as far away as I can from other people's property, you never know how much it means to them. An old banger may be someone's pride and joy, or have sentimental value.

I have never opened a car door into someone else's car, or leaned a trolley against it, if the space is too small to get out without metal to metal contact I park elsewhere or not at all. I really can't understand how people fail to think from the other person's perspective, it shows a distinct lack of consideration and common decency.

HOLA4425

This is the thing, I've carefully tried to balance the trolley freestanding in the past and with wriggling kids in it it has on several occasions rolled off into the side of another parked car. I feel the risk of scratches is overall less of a trolley is carefully leant against a bumper.

You shouldn't have done. It's not your property, keep off.

My car is an old crappy 07 plate and I've have been seriously annoyed.

Archived