House Price Crash Forum

School Bomb Hoaxes

HOLA441

Scattered around the local newspapers are tales of lots of schools closing due to bomb hoaxes today:

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/crime/latest-third-cambridgeshire-school-evacuated-after-bomb-threat-hoax-as-national-total-rises-1-7396660

Can't see a "national" level report on the Beeb news site. OK, I've not looked too hard but I think it's worth a :ph34r:

Is there something going on? Is it coordinated? Or just coincidence? If something's afoot, then who's behind it? Muslims (they get blamed for most things)? The anti-SAT lobby? The NUT? Brexit-ers?

HOLA442

Say I wanted a day off and I called in a BOMB hoax at my school, then I would probably get caught. Call in 12, well that's a lot harder to solve.

Say I wanted to kill my wife. I could just shoot her in the head, and then get arrested, but blow up the bus she takes to work? Better odds on avoiding arrest I think.

I do wonder if a bomb hoax could just be a cover story for the police to have 24hrs to ransack the school building and see what everybody has in their locker.... Just a thought.

A Devon and Cornwall Police spokesman said: "We are aware that hoax calls have been made to a number of schools across the country today, and have been informed of malicious calls being made to three schools within Devon and Cornwall.

Three down 'ere.

Anita Hemsi, head teacher at DHSG, told The Herald: "DHSG received a hoax call this morning. Unlike other occurrences across the country, this was not a bomb threat.
"We immediately secured the site and contacted the police. The police investigated the matter and stated they were of the opinion the call was without substance but, as a precaution, attended the site to offer reassurance.

Source :- http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Plymouth-school-received-bomb-scare-hoax-police/story-29308210-detail/story.html

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Interestingly this doesn't seem to be the first time:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/seven-schools-hit-new-round-10856221

Either there is someone out there who thinks its funny or disruptive and hasn't been caught, or several people of mass have decided its the easiest way to not sit and exam and have called a few primary schools to cover their trail.

I wonder whether this some sort of terrorist sympathysing fear thing? If kids can't go to school, parents might need to take the day off and so it would damage the economy.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I bought this up as happening in Brum on some other threads. Some of it got publicity in February and was actually blamed on Russian hacker groups.

But I also know of two evacuations of shops that did not even make it into the local media (I only know the incidents happened because of family and friends that were evacuated)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I wonder whether this some sort of terrorist sympathysing fear thing? If kids can't go to school, parents might need to take the day off and so it would damage the economy.

Violent Islamism has only once shown tactical[1] brilliance[2] - with the Twin Towers attack. What was clever about that was turning the tools of the enemy (planes packed with fuel) into weapons used against them.

Since then, attacks have been pretty much simple reruns of a couple of scripts: suicide bombs, Mumbai-style gunmanship, etc - against which we've been increasingly well prepared to both contain and disrupt in the planning phases.

I'd wondered in the past if/how the very security infrastructure we have created could be subverted against us. Maybe this is what we're seeing.

Then again, it could just be a coincidence of kids across the country wanting a sunny day off school.

[1] Strategically it was a complete ****** up. On a global scale they were doing pretty well until they idiotically decided to poke the USA with a pointy stick. Should have read up on Pearl Harbour before they tried that lark.

[2] This is not a moral value judgement!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Threats to schools in Scotland 'not credible'

Police have said a telephone threat made to schools across Scotland "does not appear to be credible" but is "being taken seriously".

Schools across Scotland - from Dumfries and Galloway, across the central belt and up to Perth - were affected.

[...]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-36367919

HOLA4422

I see it's being reported nationally now. Too many people online must have been talking about it.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived