House Price Crash Forum

Tax Credit Bonus - Help To Save

HOLA441

What's with special savings rates for different groups of people?

Pensioners receive a higher savings rate through pensioner bonds and now people on Tax Credits will receive a £1200 savings bonus.

What about everybody else paying for all of this

what rate do they get?

Can i point out that there is no capital limit for tax credits so someone with £kk's sitting in the bank would receive this.

Employees on in-work benefits, such as tax credits, who put aside £50 a month would receive a bonus of 50% after two years - worth up to £600.

That could then be continued for another two years with account holders receiving another £600.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35799404

That's just gifting select people £25 a month

talk about a helicopter drop.

A 50% interest rate? with no strings instant access?

Where do i sign up?

Edited by workingpoor

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Could this not just be a ploy to get people to move onto UC?

From what I understand it rolls out to all new claimants this summer. Then by 2018 move over everyone.

I think its still unclear if everyone on UC will have to sign on and those in work explain what they are doing to get more hours / money.

Trust me,everyone wont be on by 2018,single people maybe,people on tax credits with children now,a few at most.

Another crazy scheme this from the government.Millions wasted to run it.I know people on tax credits with half a million of assets,one takes people out on horses,self employed,makes token amounts and gets tax credits.House and paddock all paid for,£300k+ investment portfolio set up be her late husband.Im sure she will use the free £1200 to pay the insurance on her BMW.

At the same time they are sanctioning genuine unemployed for the smallest reason.

HOLA444

Not more help....retoric, doubt there will be much take up by those on the benefits using the benefits they get, how can people on benefits afford to borrow or save?....the whole point of benefits is to cover day to day necessary expenses....no spare left.

HOLA445
HOLA446

....the whole point of benefits is to cover day to day necessary expenses....no spare left.

On one hand this statement makes it all seem nice and helpful. On the other hand it shows just how bad things are. People being given other people's money so they can get their bread and milk...... They call it progress.

HOLA447

Trust me,everyone wont be on by 2018,single people maybe,people on tax credits with children now,a few at most.

Another crazy scheme this from the government.Millions wasted to run it.I know people on tax credits with half a million of assets,one takes people out on horses,self employed,makes token amounts and gets tax credits.House and paddock all paid for,£300k+ investment portfolio set up be her late husband.Im sure she will use the free £1200 to pay the insurance on her BMW.

At the same time they are sanctioning genuine unemployed for the smallest reason.

Yes...there are loopholes and yes there are people that take advantage of them and yes those who need it most do not know they are entitled to it or know where to go to get it.....sanctioning is another numbers game where there are some who need it most but end up with nothing....bit of a mess really.

HOLA448

On one hand this statement makes it all seem nice and helpful. On the other hand it shows just how bad things are. People being given other people's money so they can get their bread and milk...... They call it progress.

There again there are some who will never be satisfied with what they get whether they are given it or work for it, or work and are given it or happen to work for a employer who offers job security with excellent in work benefits and rates of pay.....

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I've never understood why UC gets so much hate around here. Yes its wasteful government IT with failures (they got accenture in to do the bulk of it...) but if anything it will make it harder to get working tax credits and housing benefit. Those schemes are the two worst IMO. Surely it would be good to have all these self employed nail technicians that run out of their lounge to sign on every week to explain why they haven't earnt enough to move off them or threatened to be sanctioned.

Locally all single people without any assets and children (and about 50 other things) are on UC and in a few months they are supposed to be rolling it out to all new claimants. Not sure if that is just JSA people, they dont know themselves.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I would question the 'work will always pay' mantra.

With all the freebies that come your way with even £1 of tax credits, there must be a point where you lose quite a lot for an extra hour worked.

I personally think that if you rent with 2 kids, there is very little difference between earning £15k and £40k. Madness.(to be fair, in the SE both positions would be skint)

HOLA4414

What? How did we go from cutting them to this?

A whole generation who've spent their entire working lives on benefits. No wonder Osborne needs to cut.

What exactly is this nudge supposed to encourage, anyway?

HOLA4415

I've never understood why UC gets so much hate around here. Yes its wasteful government IT with failures (they got accenture in to do the bulk of it...) but if anything it will make it harder to get working tax credits and housing benefit. Those schemes are the two worst IMO. Surely it would be good to have all these self employed nail technicians that run out of their lounge to sign on every week to explain why they haven't earnt enough to move off them or threatened to be sanctioned.

Locally all single people without any assets and children (and about 50 other things) are on UC and in a few months they are supposed to be rolling it out to all new claimants. Not sure if that is just JSA people, they dont know themselves.

Its not hate for the idea of UC,its actually pretty close to a decent system for linking in work/out of work welfare.It also can be tweaked so it isnt too generous etc.The problem is it cant/wont function without a fully working real time interface with HMRC (and there isnt one).Single people are all being done by hand each month.People at the DWP are entering their details into the system.Single people are easy to do.It takes a few minutes.

Couples who both work different hours each month with children are very difficult to do by hand.Each Jobcentre area probably has beween 3000 and 20,000 claims for tax credits/income support.It would take a few years to do each months.The thing with UC is to ignore everything they say until they tell you every tax credit claim in one Jobcentre area is now on UC.Until that happens,UC doesnt exists for anyone but the single person,a tiny amount of claims.

HOLA4416

Its not hate for the idea of UC,its actually pretty close to a decent system for linking in work/out of work welfare.It also can be tweaked so it isnt too generous etc.The problem is it cant/wont function without a fully working real time interface with HMRC (and there isnt one).Single people are all being done by hand each month.People at the DWP are entering their details into the system.Single people are easy to do.It takes a few minutes.

Couples who both work different hours each month with children are very difficult to do by hand.Each Jobcentre area probably has beween 3000 and 20,000 claims for tax credits/income support.It would take a few years to do each months.The thing with UC is to ignore everything they say until they tell you every tax credit claim in one Jobcentre area is now on UC.Until that happens,UC doesnt exists for anyone but the single person,a tiny amount of claims.

Oh I see, that makes sense why people vent on it. What a mess.

Is there going to be a real time interface soon then? My JCP thinks everyone new will be on it by the summer.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Oh I see, that makes sense why people vent on it. What a mess.

Is there going to be a real time interface soon then? My JCP thinks everyone new will be on it by the summer.

I think the plan is to fax the details over to each Jobcentre for now.Its very hard to get any info on it.When they say "everyone" they mean single claims i think.

HOLA4419

Perhaps the intention is to introduce a savings cap to tax credits in about two years' time. If you've got more than, say, £1199 in savings at that point then you don't qualify.

Very likely.I could see that being set at £4k.They might also abolish crisis loans.There might be other changes coming on tax credits and this is to deflect away the headlines.Perhaps on hours rules etc.

HOLA4420
Guest BillyNI

Yes...there are loopholes and yes there are people that take advantage of them and yes those who need it most do not know they are entitled to it or know where to go to get it.....sanctioning is another numbers game where there are some who need it most but end up with nothing....bit of a mess really.

I wish there was a way to upvote, because that is exactly my take on it.

HOLA4421

It is the way of reality.

bread and milk exist, or they dont. unlike cash, which can exist or not at the whim of a Government.

taking money from one to hand to another is almost mute with deficits running at 100bn per year.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425