House Price Crash Forum

Walking Boots

libspero

HOLA441

.....I enjoy walking in the great outdoors....not drawn to any particular brand, the more you pay does not always mean a better product......but bought a pair of good quality fully waterproof light regatta walking shoes/boots and have not been disappointed....hardly noticed I had them on, never had wet socks. ;)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

.....I enjoy walking in the great outdoors....not drawn to any particular brand, the more you pay does not always mean a better product......but bought a pair of good quality fully waterproof light regatta walking shoes/boots and have not been disappointed....hardly noticed I had them on, never had wet socks. ;)

Are they by any chance these ones?

http://www.regattaoutlet.co.uk/edgepoint-mid-boot-iron-oxfordblue.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA_ra1BRDV-byb_aDqpQoSJAA-ofB9o8z6eIbpeHz_F1suqUHJy8Bl_Ubnn3HzcnaPEVeDwRoC4b3w_wcB

HOLA443

HOLA444

I am not a fan of walking boots as most contain wool of some kind and I appear to have problems with wool. I much prefer cotton socks - they wear out quicker but I find them more comfortable, less irritating and I find that cotton breathes very well whether it is inside a leather boot or some kind of fabric or goretex boot.

Bless your cotton socks - I am sorry that you can't wear wool because in my experience it is vastly superior to cotton. My main gripe with cotton apart from wearing badly, is that with cotton socks, when they get damp, for whatever reason, they stay damp and drain heat from your feet. With wool or synthetics this much less of an issue. If you suffer even slightly with cold feet, never wear cotton socks.

HOLA445

Not exactly the same but almost exactly the same looking.......are they waterproof?

Bamboo socks are good....

;)

It does not mention waterproof - look OK as a kind of trainer for the money.

About 30 years ago I bought a pair of very cheap, at the time, light-weight shoes in M&S one Spring and they were fab. Really comfortable and a pleasure to wear. Never had a pair as good since.

My point, as you mentioned, is that price is no guarantee of quality.

HOLA446

Bless your cotton socks - I am sorry that you can't wear wool because in my experience it is vastly superior to cotton. My main gripe with cotton apart from wearing badly, is that with cotton socks, when they get damp, for whatever reason, they stay damp and drain heat from your feet. With wool or synthetics this much less of an issue. If you suffer even slightly with cold feet, never wear cotton socks.

Hence why, in the previous thread, I wrote about the importance of carrying spare socks with you. I do suffer from cold feet but, alas, the wool is no good for me.

HOLA447

Hence why, in the previous thread, I wrote about the importance of carrying spare socks with you. I do suffer from cold feet but, alas, the wool is no good for me.

I'd definitely look for a synthetic equivalent then. Wool is very good for not holding that much moisture and staying warm anyway, which is something cotton is hopeless at.

HOLA448

I'd definitely look for a synthetic equivalent then. Wool is very good for not holding that much moisture and staying warm anyway, which is something cotton is hopeless at.

I don't like the synethetics much either to be honest. I keep having a feel of wool mix socks in various shops - M&S do some lovely ones which can be got for a nice sale price from time to time - but the feel of the wool makes my chest go tight.

I used to be dressed in wool jumpers as a kid and couldn't understand why I had such a tight chest. The mere idea of wearing woolen socks now makes my chest go tight. The socks make my ankles sore.

Maybe I will look for a wool mix with more synethetic than wool - if such a thing exists.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Donkey's years ago came to the conclusion for me anyway that even sturdier trainers were much more of a viable choice for me than a leather boot. This was before there were really any proper synthetic boots on the market.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I got a pair of Meindl Vacuum boots 3 years ago. Expensive, but they're really comfortable (I can suffer from painful soles after about 10 miles). They felt like mountain slippers when I first slid my foot into them.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/meindl-mens-vakuum-gtx-boots-p106690?gclid=Cj0KEQiAoby1BRDA-fPXtITt3f0BEiQAPCkqQY8j6zxbvywl9f-30RDu1SLs5C3D243B-QG7Me7_LbcaAlYV8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

They've handled everything from the Great Stone Chute on Skye, the Snowdon horseshoe via Crib Goch, the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge, and 18 mile walks squelching through peat bogs in the Dark Peak. You could do worse, but I'd hope any boot in this price band would be good.

HOLA4413

Bought a pair second hand from ebay last year, Brasher Fell Masters, paid about £50 and they are very good indeed.

Had a pair of Brashers a few years ago and wasn't too impressed, they didn't last that long before starting to fall apart.

Actually now I think about it it was more like 20 years ago (erk), so they may be better now.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I was aware that the boots I was looking at were Brasher/Berghaus love children. I hadn't heard any particularly bad reviews though until Riedquat's.

I think the Hillmaster II's are meant to be some of the best selling boots in the UK.. not that it guarantees they are good though I suppose.

HOLA4416

I was aware that the boots I was looking at were Brasher/Berghaus love children. I hadn't heard any particularly bad reviews though until Riedquat's.

I think the Hillmaster II's are meant to be some of the best selling boots in the UK.. not that it guarantees they are good though I suppose.

love children?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I think the Hillmaster II's are meant to be some of the best selling boots in the UK.. not that it guarantees they are good though I suppose

The problem with wlaking boots - of most makes and models - is that you will findl oads of reviews saying that a particular boot is fab and then loads saying the same boot is rubbish. The lack of being waterproof is common followed closely by a boot falling apart far too quickly.

I posted earlier that I think it comes down to the individual boot nowadays - you might get lucky and get a well made one or you might get one that has been poorly constructed.

The bottom line is that price no longer an indication of quality when it comes to walking boots/shoes IMPO and has not been for may years now. IMPO a lot of once great brands are living on past reputation but still charging silly fees for shoes which are manufactured cheaply in China.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Mine were before that, long enough ago that I shouldn't let it influence you today. They were comfortable, just not as robust as I'd hoped. There's always the chance too that I ended up with the last pair made one Friday afternoon.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived