House Price Crash Forum

'two Or Three Payslips From A Brick Wall': Once Well-Off Workers Now Using Food Banks As Oil Slump Hits Aberdeen

HOLA441

The 'boost' will be for infrastructure apparently.

Mostly handouts for private interests & ventures and not social welfare/retraining which is much needed.

Also not much for needed infrastructure maintenance which is lacking significantly.

There will be a lot of disinvestment in the region as just about everybody is getting their collars felt.

And a lot of bankruptcies.

Aberdeen City/Shire is in the midst of a housing construction boom coupled with a massive job crash.

There is a massive oversupply of all types of housing and rentals and its getting worse better every month.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Alba

On the rare occasion I have been on a flight from London to Aberdeen it sickens me to hear the foul language coming from oil workers in the surrounding seats. They are still tanking up in the airport lounges before departure.

I use Heathrow/Gatwick lounges regularly. You are 100% spot on. And a number of them that fly abroad / coming back...their connecting flights are usually hours apart, giving them lots of time to go on the lash for free in the lounges.

Big men. Loud mouthed. Brash.

In saying that, I also know a couple of oil workers from west coast Scotland who spend weeks away from their wife and kids and are great guys. They are the ones who tend to shun the chance to go to foreign fields. The "international" set see themselves as Red Adair types. Full of bull, imo.

HOLA443

"The city has been inundated with weird klondykers, which have added to the indigenous weirdos"

Hahaha

I know some Welders that have managed to get offshore they fall into the "hanging out at the roulette tables" "sleeve tattoos" bracket described earlier.

A Welder on a rig is basically on standby to fix damaged handrails etc

All you have to do is spend circa £1000 on getting your ASME9 6G coding and then complete BOSIET & MIST sea survival courses.

Then get someone to get you in.

Not for me living on a rotting saltwater platform and risking the helicopter flights, can just imagine the banter in the canteen.

Edited by workingpoor

HOLA444

FYI: the average oil worker is a knuckle dragging fvckwit, thick as two short planks.

You won't be saying that when they save us all from that asteroid.

HOLA445
HOLA446

I thought the oil industry (wherever) was largely populated by contractors who knew it was a short fuse.

Endless songs about working for the Texaco cheque, this from Robert Earl Keen . . .

I work the rig from three to midnight

Out on the Corpus Christi Bay

Then I get off and drink 'til daylight

Sleep the morning away

I had this plan to save my wages

Leave the rigs behind for good

But this drinking is contagious

and it gets down in your blood

Another from Steve Earle

I'm trying to save money but Jimmy says no

'Cos he's got a little honey on Telephone Road

Baku appears to have more ho's per square metre than anywhere else in the world.

Don't cry for me Aberdeena.

HOLA447

Alba

I use Heathrow/Gatwick lounges regularly. You are 100% spot on. And a number of them that fly abroad / coming back...their connecting flights are usually hours apart, giving them lots of time to go on the lash for free in the lounges.

Big men. Loud mouthed. Brash.

In saying that, I also know a couple of oil workers from west coast Scotland who spend weeks away from their wife and kids and are great guys. They are the ones who tend to shun the chance to go to foreign fields. The "international" set see themselves as Red Adair types. Full of bull, imo.

Not much experience with them. Did work for a car insurers years ago. We were all told never to even bother quoting for anyone in the oil industry as they would get off the rigs, get pissed and then promptly write off their new BMW.

I figured there would be some discrimination law to force us to give them a quote, but apparently not.

HOLA448
HOLA449

These could be people whose jobs rely on the oil sector, but aren't directly employed in it.

This is almost certainly the case. Those who earn't the big bucks but have suddenly had their income dry up will understandably tighten their belts and this will directly impact on the relatively poorly paid service sector. I would be amazed if there are any people from the O & G sector attending food banks.

Aberdeen was comparable with the SE in terms of cost of living, hence there will have been many who always struggled to put food on the table and a roof over the family's head. It is these people who will be feeling the pinch and they do not deserve to be mocked or have others delight in their misfortune.

HOLA4410

I wonder if there was a sort of China'esque mass investment by ordinary folk in Oil stocks / shares?

Like when the Chinese government encouraged the man in the street to put his savings into the stock market and even re-mortgage / borrow against property to invest?

Look how that's turned out.

Some could be staring 70% capital losses in the face.

I wouldn't have any time for bandwagon jumpers or houseprice pumpers turning up at a food bank in a Merc on HP.

Edited by workingpoor

HOLA4411

This is almost certainly the case. Those who earn't the big bucks but have suddenly had their income dry up will understandably tighten their belts and this will directly impact on the relatively poorly paid service sector. I would be amazed if there are any people from the O & G sector attending food banks.

Aberdeen was comparable with the SE in terms of cost of living, hence there will have been many who always struggled to put food on the table and a roof over the family's head. It is these people who will be feeling the pinch and they do not deserve to be mocked or have others delight in their misfortune.

You would be amazed if anyone in O+G spent literally every Penny they earn every week and if they suddenly lost their job/contract would not have two pennies to rub together ?

You would be amazed by that - seriously ?

HOLA4412

You would be amazed if anyone in O+G spent literally every Penny they earn every week and if they suddenly lost their job/contract would not have two pennies to rub together ?

You would be amazed by that - seriously ?

Im sure they all bought second hand, cheap to run cars in cash tto.

A genius who can earn £70k by handing out washers would surely be too smart to buy a Porsche Cayenne on finance.

HOLA4413

Im sure they all bought second hand, cheap to run cars in cash tto.

A genius who can earn £70k by handing out washers would surely be too smart to buy a Porsche Cayenne on finance.

From what I have been reading from a few posters on here about the situation - many will be in huge debt never mind with savings.

HOLA4414

Get the same stuff in the NE(England).

You go down council estates and there's a big f-off 4x4 - somethign American, or one of the those stupid BMWs.

Oh, Mrs xxxx, has your xxxx got a job on the rigs.

Yes. He's doing very well for himself. He's taking me to Disney.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

You go down council estates and there's a big f-off 4x4 - somethign American, or one of the those stupid BMWs.

Haha, too funny. Acquaintance of mine in exactly that situation, had a 64 plate Sorrento but traded it in for a 65 Audi Qwhatever. Well worth missing your kids' childhoods for. Not to mention wondering who's keeping the missus entertained.

HOLA4417

Haha, too funny. Acquaintance of mine in exactly that situation, had a 64 plate Sorrento but traded it in for a 65 Audi Qwhatever. Well worth missing your kids' childhoods for. Not to mention wondering who's keeping the missus entertained.

The pub A + B team. Football and darts.

HOLA4418

And the classic. You do know you're being paid gross and will have to pay tax?

Netx tax year. Do you know a really good accoutnant?

Edited by spyguy

HOLA4419

And the classic. You do know you're being paid gross and will have to pay tax?

Netx tax year. Do you know a really good accoutnant?

People in their first year don't actually do this - do they ?!

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

For decades I have resented the negative effects the oil industry has had on Aberdeen as a city, and the non oil workers.

We have not all been earning high oil salaries.

House prices have been elevated as have rents, thus consuming a disproportionate amount of earned income.

Aberdeen council tax is about the highest in the country.

The various trades have all wanted a piece of the cake, so charge more than in other cities.

Even those with crap skills have started up in business because of local spending power, and have provided inferior services.

Eating out in restaurants has been more expensive, and not always high quality.

The city has been inundated with weird klondykers, which have added to the indigenous weirdos.

Foreign nationals have come from the four corners, so it is often difficult to hear your native tongue.

Health and other facilities have been impacted by the influx, so school places and hospital/g.p. waiting times have been lengthened.

Schools and hospitals etc are trying to cope with staff shortages because of the high cost of rents and housing.

The big increase in money to morons who can't handle it leads to noisy, anti-social drunken neighbours.

Despite all the negative talk in the media etc. It is still difficult to get a tradesman for work around the house, and at a decent rate.

I did a check on hotel rates and they are still far too high.

Union Square eateries and others are still packed.

I feel I am still having to compete with high paid morons.

On the rare occasion I have been on a flight from London to Aberdeen it sickens me to hear the foul language coming from oil workers in the surrounding seats. They are still tanking up in the airport lounges before departure.

Generally Aberdeen has changed environmentally and socially for the worse. It is no longer the attractive and clean city it once was. The oil money has been p...ed away in so many ways. We don't have good roads, infrastructure or social facilities.

I remember the downturn in 1986 and things didn't improve during the 10 years it took the oil industry to pick up.

I am a native, but I often wonder why I stay here. My parents have departed and I have a small circle of family and friends. I am in a position that I could live virtually anywhere, and did briefly live abroad, but for some reason, possibly just familiarity with my own patch, I continue to live in Aberdeen.

Even though the current downturn is probably short lived, I honestly feel that Aberdeen is going to continue to deteriorate.

For decades I have resented the negative effects the oil industry has had on Aberdeen as a city, and the non oil workers.

We have not all been earning high oil salaries.

House prices have been elevated as have rents, thus consuming a disproportionate amount of earned income.

Aberdeen council tax is about the highest in the country.

The various trades have all wanted a piece of the cake, so charge more than in other cities.

Even those with crap skills have started up in business because of local spending power, and have provided inferior services.

Eating out in restaurants has been more expensive, and not always high quality.

The city has been inundated with weird klondykers, which have added to the indigenous weirdos.

Foreign nationals have come from the four corners, so it is often difficult to hear your native tongue.

Health and other facilities have been impacted by the influx, so school places and hospital/g.p. waiting times have been lengthened.

Schools and hospitals etc are trying to cope with staff shortages because of the high cost of rents and housing.

The big increase in money to morons who can't handle it leads to noisy, anti-social drunken neighbours.

Despite all the negative talk in the media etc. It is still difficult to get a tradesman for work around the house, and at a decent rate.

I did a check on hotel rates and they are still far too high.

Union Square eateries and others are still packed.

I feel I am still having to compete with high paid morons.

Generally Aberdeen has changed environmentally and socially for the worse. It is no longer the attractive and clean city it once was. The oil money has been p...ed away in so many ways. We don't have good roads, infrastructure or social facilities.

I remember the downturn in 1986 and things didn't improve during the 10 years it took the oil industry to pick up.

I am a native, but I often wonder why I stay here. My parents have departed and I have a small circle of family and friends. I am in a position that I could live virtually anywhere, and did briefly live abroad, but for some reason, possibly just familiarity with my own patch, I continue to live in Aberdeen.

Even though the current downturn is probably short lived, I honestly feel that Aberdeen is going to continue to deteriorate.

Sounds just like Surrey. Only colder.

HOLA4422

As I have said on other threads, Aberdeen offshore work has funded the lifestyles of the thick and stupid up and down the UK, not just Aberdeen. There will be a fair few mortgages and BTL projects going pop as this unwinds.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-35438843

BBC News:

Aberdeen airport to be increased by 50% to deal with increasing passenger numbers. Is that both incoming and outgoing flights?

Plus £12M fund announced.

Possibly in response to Scatsta scaling down operations as BP are going to stop using it and fly direct out of Aberdeen.

HOLA4425

People in their first year don't actually do this - do they ?!

Yes. Or the ones from north North Yorks _ Teesside.

In the main, despite the danger of their job - and thats why they are piad money, danger, they are not adding value - you are dealing with man-babies.