House Price Crash Forum

Lidl Newgate Heinz Knock-Off Brand

HOLA441

Bovril.

Naa, in future looking for the real name of yeast extract not some made up trade name. ;)

My dried mustard powder lasts for ages......use a colemans tin to store it in, notice no different in flavour only price.......the tin makes an excellent storage container, helps keep any damp away and the powder dry.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Might be warmer in here right now if I wasn't cheap, and a few people on here probably find me nasty :)

My own theories (which may be nonsense) is that we're so used to everything being large-scale centralised that we think that the only way anything can compete with the big well known ones is to cut the quality. Add in a good chunk of familiarity and you've got branding. I suspect that's largely why advertising works too, building that background perception rather more than "Ooh, I want that." Then something that looks a bit like it might slip though under "probably just a brand I've missed." As much as I'd like to say otherwise I'm probably affected by that - "What's this, some shoddy cheap Chinese knockoff most likely?"

I strongly dislike displaying branding though and avoid where possibly goods which show the name (talking things like clothes rather than a bottle of milk). If I could prise the name badge off the TV without it leaving an obvious mark I probably would.

Funny you should say that about covering 'names' I have done that with white goods in kitchen, forgotten who made it :P .....a nice sticker works wonders. But buying cheap does not necessarily mean buying wisely, there is a lot of cheap and nasty about......but paying through the nose for a 'name' can be just a waste of money.....there are plenty of scarcely advertised 'names' that provide both quality, value and reliability.....The more that it is advertised the more they have to add to the price, I would rather not pay for advertising, best advertising is via word of mouth, not only for the product but the after sales service and the ethics of the company and how they do business. ;)

HOLA443

Funny you should say that about covering 'names' I have done that with white goods in kitchen, forgotten who made it :P .....a nice sticker works wonders. But buying cheap does not necessarily mean buying wisely, there is a lot of cheap and nasty about......but paying through the nose for a 'name' can be just a waste of money.....there are plenty of scarcely advertised 'names' that provide both quality, value and reliability.....The more that it is advertised the more they have to add to the price, I would rather not pay for advertising, best advertising is via word of mouth, not only for the product but the after sales service and the ethics of the company and how they do business. ;)

Our washing machine is a Haier. It's comfortably the best one we've had. Previously we'd had a succession of Hotpoints which all seemed to fail at about two years old.

I think the idea of traditional UK brands is nicely summed up in the fictional "Sunshine Deserts" in Reginald Perrin. All those highly paid suburban commuter types must be long gone now, and the manufacturing moved from outer London to outer Mongolia.

HOLA444

Our washing machine is a Haier. It's comfortably the best one we've had. Previously we'd had a succession of Hotpoints which all seemed to fail at about two years old.

I think the idea of traditional UK brands is nicely summed up in the fictional "Sunshine Deserts" in Reginald Perrin. All those highly paid suburban commuter types must be long gone now, and the manufacturing moved from outer London to outer Mongolia.

....If I am truthful and from my own personal experience Hotpoint Indisit is a name I will never buy again due to how I was treated by after sales after breaking down three times within 18 months......the brand used to be quality, no longer imo.....a lot of these firms are only interested in hard sell signing you up to a additional warranty taking so much per month by DD,.....which can over time often add up to more the product cost to purchase......any quality product should last at least 8 to 10 years or more with average use.......anyone trying to sell a guarantee against fault or breakdown tells you more than you need to know about that product imo.

HOLA445

....If I am truthful and from my own personal experience Hotpoint Indisit is a name I will never buy again due to how I was treated by after sales after breaking down three times within 18 months......the brand used to be quality, no longer imo.....a lot of these firms are only interested in hard sell signing you up to a additional warranty taking so much per month by DD,.....which can over time often add up to more the product cost to purchase......any quality product should last at least 8 to 10 years or more with average use.......anyone trying to sell a guarantee against fault or breakdown tells you more than you need to know about that product imo.

I love doing that in Currys - when they ask if I want an extended warranty I reply "Why, is it going to break?"

My folks pay something like £6/month warranty on a £100 fridge.

HOLA446

Heinz tomato ketchup has a very distinctive taste to me, I can easily tell the difference. Not that I eat it very often these days.

I can tell the difference, but I don't like Heinz ketchup much, far too sugary. Branston is much better!

I'd second the pint about inertia - we should really give the Lidl/Aldi stuff a fair shot one of these days, but just don't ever seem to bother, old habits etc.

HOLA447

.any quality product should last at least 8 to 10 years or more with average use.......anyone trying to sell a guarantee against fault or breakdown tells you more than you need to know about that product imo.

Dream on for the 8 or 10 years these days for anything other than the top end. Where's the economic sense in making things that don't need replacing?

I suppose in theory there's nothing wrong with buying cheap and expecting it to pack up within a year or two, although if you're paying extra for a guarentee then you were probably better off spending that money on a better product to begin with, if you could've afforded it up front.

HOLA448

Dream on for the 8 or 10 years these days for anything other than the top end. Where's the economic sense in making things that don't need replacing?

I suppose in theory there's nothing wrong with buying cheap and expecting it to pack up within a year or two, although if you're paying extra for a guarentee then you were probably better off spending that money on a better product to begin with, if you could've afforded it up front.

I have a washer that's still going strong at 8 years. It's a testament to the HPC hive mind really - I bought it because about 8 and a half years ago someone on a similar thread to this reccomended Electrolux :)

HOLA449

The question here is.....what do you want from the product?.....cheap that gives up, wears out and is unreliable, easy come easy go.... or pay a bit more for better quality for a name that wants to make a name for itself as quality, value and reliability........old well known brand names are not necessarily a guide when it comes to value, quality and reliability.....some of the new names/brands on the block should not be written off, you might be pleasantly surprised.....find a good one spread the word. ;)

HOLA4410

........old well known brand names are not necessarily a guide when it comes to value, quality and reliability.....some of the new names/brands on the block should not be written off, you might be pleasantly surprised.....find a good one spread the word. ;)

This. I like hearing of new brands that offer better value, such as eight's recommendation of Haier above - I've never heard of them but will give them a look next time I need any white goods (I hope to not be renting for the rest of my adult life). If most well known manufacturing brands are going to fail much sooner than you hoped (as increasingly seems the case) may as well take a punt on something cheaper that might punch above its (perceived) weight.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I helped my parents swap an old Whirlpool chest freezer for an old Beko upright freezer. Bought and sold them for about 30 quid on Ebay so no expense was expended, just man hours for moving and cleaning. A new one would be about 250 for a Beko, but they're claimed to be rather more energy efficient. I was pleased to see you can get spares for ancient Bekos from loads of places. This always tickles me: "Beko is a Turkish domestic appliance and consumer electronics brand of Arçelik A.Ş.[1] controlled by Koç Holding.". Just avoid the fridge-freezers, they're ones that were burning peoples houses down.

I got a kWh meter recently, I'll have to put it on that Beko. I've worked out the kettle costs about 70 quid a year and the combination microwave uses about 50 quid.

HOLA4414

I love doing that in Currys - when they ask if I want an extended warranty I reply "Why, is it going to break?"

My folks pay something like £6/month warranty on a £100 fridge.

Oi, that's my line.

I have 2 upright fridge freezers, two freezers and one fridge, all 20 years old and all bought from Iceland. One has had a new thermostat which cost me about a tenner iirc. People don't realise how long stuff lasts.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Oi, that's my line.

I have 2 upright fridge freezers, two freezers and one fridge, all 20 years old and all bought from Iceland. One has had a new thermostat which cost me about a tenner iirc. People don't realise how long stuff lasts.

Think you have proved a point there.....something built 20 years ago still going strong and is still repairable.....stuff built two years ago on its last legs, uneconomical to repair. ;)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Think you have proved a point there.....something built 20 years ago still going strong and is still repairable.....stuff built two years ago on its last legs, uneconomical to repair. ;)

Not sure. I think you need to know what you are buying and especially the components. Not much can go wrong on a fridge freezer other than the compressor. So, I always check who makes the compressor. If it's a good compressor I don't care what the label is on the front. Washing machines and tumble driers are all very simple and user repairable. It's paying someone to repair it that makes it uneconomical. Cookers, check out Baumatic (recently acquired by Hoover), they make many of the branded cookers that sell for much higher prices than Baumatic.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Not just Lidl. When was the last time you saw 'Tesco Value'? All been replaced by random value 'Brands' which are owned by Tescos.

I bought tesco value kidney beans on Monday. Checking the ingredients - exactly the same as the 'normal' ones. Just a different can.

HOLA4423

Cracked black pepper and a few shakes of Worcester's sauce. Tremendous.

Sometimes that's my breakfast. I prefer tabasco.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Not sure. I think you need to know what you are buying and especially the components. Not much can go wrong on a fridge freezer other than the compressor. So, I always check who makes the compressor. If it's a good compressor I don't care what the label is on the front. Washing machines and tumble driers are all very simple and user repairable. It's paying someone to repair it that makes it uneconomical. Cookers, check out Baumatic (recently acquired by Hoover), they make many of the branded cookers that sell for much higher prices than Baumatic.

I inherited an atag double oven.....must be at least 25 years old, solid as a rock, large interior....really well designed shelves, excellent baking trays and accessories and very versatile for all types of cooking, even temperature and cook really well......found out they are no longer made :mellow: Looked at the ovens on sale now they don't seem so resilient and sturdy, also they were selling extras such as baking trays for ~£70 each on top of the purchase......went into one of the large electrical stores and the staff did not know the products they were supposed to be selling, there were huge gaps in the housing where a cookers should have been....real tatty area of the shop, little choice in cookers, but massive choice in fridges and freezers for some reason. ;)

Archived