House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turned Out Nice Again

Lidl Newgate Heinz Knock-Off Brand

01153_20_f.jpg

Indistinguishable to me from Heinz - better if anything - but cheaper; ingredients also decent, eg. 91% tomatoes.

A few of these + a 50p tiger bread = a family meal/ starter for a couple of quid

Haven't tried their Baked beans yet @ 32p -- will report back.

I seriously do not understand why people pay so much more for 'brands'

Washing powder - lidl's own vs Persil - I mean seriously, how much can go wrong?

Same with the above example of soup/beans/ etc - buy a tin for a fraction of the price - if you really don't like it, go back to paying 3x the price

I usually find it's Boomers filling their trolley with such expensive crap

Washing powder - lidl's own vs Persil - I mean seriously, how much can go wrong?

Same with the above example of soup/beans/ etc - buy a tin for a fraction of the price - if you really don't like it, go back to paying 3x the price

They haven't got used to this decimal money. :huh:

I've known a small number of people who can genuinely taste the difference and like a particular brown sauce for example.

The other brand buyers seem to be people who tried something genuinely cheap and nasty, as many supermarket own-brands were twenty years ago, and haven't risked it since.

It may be an element of snob value but this seems to be declining, I know several people who make a point of wearing designer label clothing but actively brag about shopping in Lidl because of its high quality food.

Now I wasn't hearing that five years ago, I was thought to be a bit unusual for shopping there rather than Tesco.

There's a TV show that the girlfriend makes me watch (honest...) called 'Eat Well For Less'.

Part of it is that they will swap out some of the branded stuff for cheaper stuff and see if the marks on the show can tell the difference.

The Christmas episode was a truly shocking show of utter stupidity by the marks, really disgusting waste/overspending. E.g. £300 was being spent on branded Champers (£30 a bottle)... in the mock party they did a blind taste test and guess what won? £4.99/bottle Aldi Cava.

A lot of Brand buying I think comes down to inertia, or people simply not trying different brands, they know Heinz can be purchased in 95% of stores and is consistent, where as own Brand X could be crap while own Brand Y great...

I don't know how Lidl and Aldi get away with their product branding, isn't it copyright theft? I saw a packet of digestives advertised on TV and it was virtually indistinguishable from McVitie's.

I've known a small number of people who can genuinely taste the difference and like a particular brown sauce for example.

Heinz tomato ketchup has a very distinctive taste to me, I can easily tell the difference. Not that I eat it very often these days.

The Christmas episode was a truly shocking show of utter stupidity by the marks, really disgusting waste/overspending. E.g. £300 was being spent on branded Champers (£30 a bottle)... in the mock party they did a blind taste test and guess what won? £4.99/bottle Aldi Cava.

Yep, that is just genuine brand snobbery and people not knowing what it is they are tasting (I would be the same for champers as I only drink it on special occasions).

A lot of Brand buying I think comes down to inertia, or people simply not trying different brands, they know Heinz can be purchased in 95% of stores and is consistent, where as own Brand X could be crap while own Brand Y great...

I remember seeing a TV show a few years ago about marketing and branding. The marketing expert said that when people buy brands what they are paying for is less risk. Brand X could be crap and Brand Y could be great but brand (Heinz/Nestle/Kellogs/Walkers/etc) is definitely, consistently, at least OK, and that is worth paying for.

I think having kids makes this more of an issue too. I don't have kids but I suspect a lot of parents will buy branded goods because they know their children will eat it but worry that they would turn their nose up at an alternative.

Oh, and back on topic, I love Lidl and Aldi and shop at both all the time. Aldi Prosecco, at £5.39 a bottle, is fantastic.

Edit: I've remembered that the program also talked about Aldi and Lidl specifically, and said that what they learned when first operating in the UK is that it doesn't matter so much if shoppers have heard of the brand they are buying, just that there is one. So an unbranded jar of peanut butter won't sell, but give it a brand name - any brand name - and people will buy it. That's why in Aldi and Lidl you see "brands" like McKennedy, Crownfield, Harvest Morn, Newgate, and loads more, all of which are really their own products but given a brand name for marketing purposes.

Edit: I've remembered that the program also talked about Aldi and Lidl specifically, and said that what they learned when first operating in the UK is that it doesn't matter so much if shoppers have heard of the brand they are buying, just that there is one. So an unbranded jar of peanut butter won't sell, but give it a brand name - any brand name - and people will buy it. That's why in Aldi and Lidl you see "brands" like McKennedy, Crownfield, Harvest Morn, Newgate, and loads more, all of which are really their own products but given a brand name for marketing purposes.

Not just Lidl. When was the last time you saw 'Tesco Value'? All been replaced by random value 'Brands' which are owned by Tescos.

Not just Lidl. When was the last time you saw 'Tesco Value'? All been replaced by random value 'Brands' which are owned by Tescos.

I think this is one of the reasons for the success of Sports Direct. Instead of selling pricey branded kit or their much cheaper own brand stuff they bough recognisable but dormant brand rights so could use those directly.

From memory Dunlop and Slazenger for two.

I think this is one of the reasons for the success of Sports Direct. Instead of selling pricey branded kit or their much cheaper own brand stuff they bough recognisable but dormant brand rights so could use those directly.

Dunlop Grated Cheese it is then.

I bought two tins of Heinz baked beans - 50p each - in my local corner shop yesterday. Got them home and then realised that the tins are much smaller than normal.

I can no longer eat tined baked beans far too much sugar, sweet sickly taste....I now buy dried beans and soak overnight, then cook in nice sauce of choice.

Tinned soups are also very sweet, so is certain coleslaw and other ready made foods.

Glad all your tests OK.....look after yourself, eat, exercise and sleep well.

Yes, I've noticed the moribund "Polaroid" brand has been bought up and is now applied to any number of crap Chinese? Turkish? electronic products.

Your theory works for foods and some low end fashion brands i.e Sports Direct (actually they have better bargains on premium brands like high end 3 piece golf balls or firetrap sports bags to name 2) but doesn't hold true in other areas.

With complex clothing or items the quality of the actual fabrics makes a difference and generally better performance costs. Goretex for instance isn't cheap but works well in many applications.

An example is Ski Jackets just brought another Dainese a brand I like because my bike kit has been fabulous in terms of performance. The last jacket probably lasted 30 trips between my son and I and still looked good at the end. Replacement was £400 a North Face or something similar would be inferior cut, fit and look and last half as long.

Next time you have a knock in your car ask what Lacquer they put on, it can vary from a few pounds a litre to £50 a litre or more and believe me the difference in terms of application, finish and durability is marked and it is down to a brand yes but also using more expensive chemical components.

If anyone uses contact lenses next time you order try the very cheapest and then a good branded make. The branded make will be more comfortable not because of the brand because at some point the selling price justifies a production process where the lense is spun rather like tossing a pizza and makes the edges graduated, cheap lenses are punched out of a sheet like a pastry cutter.

Totally agree as I said about food but on more complex items all the way up to cars you have to do your research.

Karrimor is their own brand too. Karrimor is a strange brand. It started out cheap crap, then had a spell of good quality, and now has gone back under Sports Direct to largely poor quality with the odd good item if you know what you are buying. For example, most of the Karrrimor trekking sandals have crap soles, but the occasional model has good quality Vibram, or am I falling for the brand.....

Lidl

Seafood/Fish, Chocolate, Ice Cream, Nuts, Frozen thai curry, Frozen Paella, Oat Crackers, Olive Oil,Veg, all absolutely bang on for the money and in many cases better for way less.

Don't you get massive queues in Lidl with just one cashier especially on Saturdays?

edit: if the majority answer on this is yes, I would personaly consider this a cost.

Lidl or Aldi.

Good local food market - proper one , selling veg and fruit at 1/3 price of supermarkets.

Your sorted.

Agree....but would also add a good Morrisons....not all of them are good......what more can you want.....looking forward to making slow cooked beef cheeks with shallots in dark ale with thyme and bay.....got them from Morrisons £2.40....they sell all cuts, shank, brisket, tails and skirt.....sell fresh octopus salmon sole and scallops.....very good prices and even better when reduced on the best before date, then they can be frozen if not used and taste as good as fresh.

Agree....but would also add a good Morrisons....not all of them are good......what more can you want.....looking forward to making slow cooked beef cheeks with shallots in dark ale with thyme and bay.....got them from Morrisons £2.40....they sell all cuts, shank, brisket, tails and skirt.....sell fresh octopus salmon sole and scallops.....very good prices and even better when reduced on the best before date, then they can be frozen if not used and taste as good as fresh.

Morrisons has by far the best butchers and best quality meat of any of the supermarkets and will give you the cuts as you want them, and they own the abattoirs too. Their fish is the best of the main supermarkets too, although I never use it. While I don't buy very much food as I catch and forage a lot, all my food purchases are at Morrisons and Lidl.