HOLA441
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I reckon everyone, even Winkie, has one thing that they always buy from the same brand.

For me it's Lyles golden syrup and Colmans mustard powder.

It's irrational, but there's something about those two that I'm prepared to pay a bit extra for the good ol' fashion real deal.

I also buy Twinnings earl grey tea but that's just because it genuinely tastes better (more bergamot) than the supermarket own brands.

Ditto to those two, also Marmite and L and P Worcestershire sauce.

Lyle's black treacle too, for lovely sticky gingerbread, not that I ever recall seeing any other brand.

HOLA446

Naa, in future looking for the real name of yeast extract not some made up trade name. ;)

My dried mustard powder lasts for ages......use a colemans tin to store it in, notice no different in flavour only price.......the tin makes an excellent storage container, helps keep any damp away and the powder dry.

But that's it, Bovril is not a yeast product. It's a beef product and I've not seen any competitors.

I find yeast extracts cloying and ridiculously salty whether it be Marmite, Vegemite or the own brand products.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I shall try that.

Bovril is hugely underrated - its top quality.

I don't mean I drink a whole cup of Tabasco. Just a dash in Bovril :unsure:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

You are clearly a man of taste ccc.

I've seen some people drinking it at work as it's on the allowed list for ?Slimmers World; this may mean a sales explosion and some copycat products.

I drank it in the office at work years ago. The burds in the office did a wee practical joke as they always complained about the smell. Ffs what's their problem !!

Anyway - knowing the usual issue with the top getting a bit sticky and tricky to open - one of the ***** - and yes that begins with a "C" brought in superglue one day and glued on the top.

Cue me hours later standing there trying to open the bottle thinking it was just the usual stuck Bovril top - when in fact it was glued shut. Ripped my hands to pieces trying to not be a pussy.

After about 10 minutes I worked it out as the ******* were pissing themselves.

To be fair - it was a good one. Respect to those burds. They got me proper.

HOLA4412

I'm about to have a pint of steaming hot Bovril now, all this talking about it has made me crave one.

Yum. It's just so right sometimes. ;)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I bought tesco value kidney beans on Monday. Checking the ingredients - exactly the same as the 'normal' ones. Just a different can.

Were the ingredients kidney beans and water, by any chance?

Lidl sell one "make" of kidney beans and they're 23p.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Should there be a Bovril sub-forum?

Or a secret club with special sign?

Winkie is barred from membership for life for mixing it up with Marmite; a crime for which I don't think a hefty fine or a short period of incarceration would be an unreasonable punishment.

HOLA4418

Should there be a Bovril sub-forum?

Or a secret club with special sign?

Winkie is barred from membership for life for mixing it up with Marmite; a crime for which I don't think a hefty fine or a short period of incarceration would be an unreasonable punishment.

Marmite has no beef in it at all!

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Were the ingredients kidney beans and water, by any chance?

Lidl sell one "make" of kidney beans and they're 23p.

Yep - and the same % for both the cheap and normal ones.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

One of the few branded products we do buy is Head And Shoulders shampoo. Farmfoods currently have 1L bottles for £5, with a nifty pump action lid, and appear from the labeling to be the result of some kind of grey market weirdness. So I bought ten. That's the family shampoo requirement taken care of for a number of years then....

HOLA4425

Archived