House Price Crash Forum

Bad Weather

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441
  • Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Reforestation of uplands would also make a huge difference but don't hold your breath expecting it to happen because the same MPs who whine about the lack of flood defences in places like Carlisle often don't want to upset the sheep farmers whose flocks denude the surrounding hillsides. The truth is the hills of Lake District and the Pennines are not naturally bare. It is man who has made them so over the centuries..

Yep.

Subsidising food that no one really eats - mutton - so they cut down trees, which causes the houses below to flood.

Fck subbing hill-level famers to p1ss around and farm mutton or 'keep the hills and dales looking like they are'.

Tax the fckers out of existence!

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I have just heard a Flood Risk Consultant guy on Sky News say if these floods are going to continue to happen then we have to look at weather it's worth even repairing these houses and maybe the local authorities should give people market value for there houses and tell them to move out of these areas.

He also said that some properties in Somerset still haven't been repaired to this day and are still drying out.

Also mentioned that in the past building contractors had travelled to flooded areas to offer their services and insurance companies and local authorities wouldn't deal with them saying they were not on the approved local contractor list.

Subsequently these contractors no longer travel to flood hit areas.

HOLA446

I have just heard a Flood Risk Consultant guy on Sky News say if these floods are going to continue to happen then we have to look at weather it's worth even repairing these houses and maybe the local authorities should give people market value for there houses and tell them to move out of these areas.

He also said that some properties in Somerset still haven't been repaired to this day and are still drying out.

Also mentioned that in the past building contractors gad travelled to flooded areas to offer their services and insurance companies and local authorities wouldn't deal with them saying they were not on the approved local contractor list.

I think the council are right to have approved contractors.

I live in Cumbria and quite a few vulnerable flood victims without insurance have been ripped off by members of the travelling community who are legendary for their high prices and shoddy workmanship.

HOLA447
HOLA448

I think the council are right to have approved contractors.

I live in Cumbria and quite a few vulnerable flood victims without insurance have been ripped off by members of the travelling community who are legendary for their high prices and shoddy workmanship.

Too many leftovers from Appleby.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Yep.

Subsidising food that no one really eats - mutton - so they cut down trees, which causes the houses below to flood.

Fck subbing hill-level famers to p1ss around and farm mutton or 'keep the hills and dales looking like they are'.

Tax the fckers out of existence!

I have this same, er, beef with the whole farmers as "custodians of the countryside" nonsense. I want to see woodland, scrubland, genuine natural vegetation. Not the close-cropped grass of green deserts and eye-streaming fields of rapeseed.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Also mentioned that in the past building contractors had travelled to flooded areas to offer their services and insurance companies and local authorities wouldn't deal with them saying they were not on the approved local contractor list.

Subsequently these contractors no longer travel to flood hit areas.

Surely the market value is pretty much zero?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Most of the BBC luvvies are on holiday leaving the likes of Fivelive to be mainly automated pre-recorded programming in recent days.

If it was not Christmas can you imagine how much the luvies will bore us of watching the water rise millimeter by millimeter outside their homes and studios?

HOLA4418

The weather is indeed terrible.

As a barometer of just how shite it is, may I offer the case of Hartlepool United's game against Notts County being postponed yesterday for a water-logged pitch.

In 1916, a Zeppelin bombed their ground. The bomb-crater on the pitch was filled-in with a rubble mix very rich in ash, and drains very well.

That a game at Victoria Park has been called-off for a water-logged pitch speaks volumes for the amount of rain that has battered Northern parts of late.

The club (unsuccessfully) chased the German government for years for compensation.

Shame really - It'd be kind of cool to buy a ticket for the Kaiser Wilhelm stand, or the Boris Becker enclosure...!

;)

XYY

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

As much as I find the flooded "development site" amusing quite a bit of quite old stuff has been flooded too.

What annoys me about it the most are all the idiots running around crying that the government should do something. Sorry, there comes a point where you have to accept that sh1t happens. Whatever flood defences would've dealt with this would've been more obnoxious than relatively short-term effects of the flooding and in any case planning for that sort of level is absurd.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

As much as I find the flooded "development site" amusing quite a bit of quite old stuff has been flooded too.

What annoys me about it the most are all the idiots running around crying that the government should do something. Sorry, there comes a point where you have to accept that sh1t happens. Whatever flood defences would've dealt with this would've been more obnoxious than relatively short-term effects of the flooding and in any case planning for that sort of level is absurd.

the-simpsons-movie-dome.png

Archived