House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Bad Weather

Our allotment has drained very nicely overnight. It's almost as if the flooding yesterday didn't happen. Brilliant blue skies today. What bad weather?

And war in the Middle East. It's the end times, definitely. House prices will continue to rise though.

How is there war - listening to Fivelive now I am under the impression that they are mostly civilians.

The reality is, the force of nature has the power to wipe us all out in a moment....far more powerful than anything man has the power to do.....nature is everything most wonderful and beautiful to devastation and death, and everything inbetween......respect.;)

Thereis no "bad" weather, although sometimes I wish it were different!

Guest eight

Quite nice here. Some real warmth in the sun, surprisingly. Playing havoc with south facing front door.

I know it's a bit Facebook-pointless saying it but I do genuinely feel for those people who have now had stinking floodwater through their homes several times; they must feel like giving up.

There was a sort of pattern to UK flooding over the last few Christmasses, it seemed to start just before or during the Christmas holiday and seem pretty bad but then in January it got alot worse.

(remember the guy who built that moat around his house?)

We are still in December and have flooding in York, Leeds, Manchester and a myriad of other areas as well as Cumbria several times over in the last couple of weeks.

Another band of heavy rain moving in for tuesday on already saturated ground and swollen rivers, what will happen in January?

Can anything realistically be done to combat this kind of record torential rainfall?

I know it's a bit Facebook-pointless saying it but I do genuinely feel for those people who have now had stinking floodwater through their homes several times; they must feel like giving up.

Don't worry David Cameron, Liz Truss and Co will be along to reassure them it is 'unprecedented' just like the all other floods in 2012-13, 2009, 2007, 2005 etc.

Can anything realistically be done to combat this kind of record torential rainfall?

People moving basically, and the houses being demolished as being on uninhabitable land as has been done with the East Anglian coastal villages that are falling into the sea.

The local council needs to schedule an area for a new town somewhere safe from flooding, parcel it up and give building plots with planning permission to anybody who vacates their existing home and gives it to the council to demolish.

There was a sort of pattern to UK flooding over the last few Christmasses, it seemed to start just before or during the Christmas holiday and seem pretty bad but then in January it got alot worse.

(remember the guy who built that moat around his house?)

We are still in December and have flooding in York, Leeds, Manchester and a myriad of other areas as well as Cumbria several times over in the last couple of weeks.

Another band of heavy rain moving in for tuesday on already saturated ground and swollen rivers, what will happen in January?

Yes - ONE have less people living in the country and TWO stop building in shite locations/destroying water soak areas by building roads/driveways etc

Yes - ONE have less people living in the country and TWO stop building in shite locations/destroying water soak areas by building roads/driveways etc

Reforestation of uplands would also make a huge difference but don't hold your breath expecting it to happen because the same MPs who whine about the lack of flood defences in places like Carlisle often don't want to upset the sheep farmers whose flocks denude the surrounding hillsides. The truth is the hills of Lake District and the Pennines are not naturally bare. It is man who has made them so over the centuries..

Reforestation of uplands would also make a huge difference but don't hold your breath expecting it to happen because the same MPs who whine about the lack of flood defences in places like Carlisle often don't want to upset the sheep farmers whose flocks denude the surrounding hillsides. The truth is the hills of Lake District and the Pennines are not naturally bare. It is man who has made them so over the centuries..

Good thinking. Plant some trees or move house. I don't care, just get off our tellies! Just because they had one day when they swept up a bit doesn't make it 2 floods.

Yep, oak, willow and yew trees suck up an enormous amount of water each. Forests of them would not solve the problem but they would make things considerably better.

Plague of locusts in Hatfield.

I once drove through a cloud of locusts in Australia. Nasty yellowy gunk all over the car...it was baked in by the time I'd driven the 400 kms home.

People moving basically, and the houses being demolished as being on uninhabitable land as has been done with the East Anglian coastal villages that are falling into the sea.

Got to be cheaper than spending £500m every 3 to 5 years on a combination of insurance claims and 'improved' flood defences.

I know a very well paid couple - one a very well paid medic - whose house has not been flooded but most of the area around them has.... so they have been somewhat peeved to have tried to go to the local pub for food... only to find the road flooded... and then finding the second route to the pub flooded they had to return home...

But at least they had something in the freezer... although it meant having to cook themselves.

I know a very well paid couple - one a very well paid medic - whose house has not been flooded but most of the area around them has.... so they have been somewhat peeved to have tried to go to the local pub for food... only to find the road flooded... and then finding the second route to the pub flooded they had to return home...

But at least they had something in the freezer... although it meant having to cook themselves.

The poor wee b8stads! :huh:

I know, they think that they might have to return to the city and spend New Year in their flat.

With all those twigs in vases?

Look at all these photos of flooded York in this DM article - notice all the apaprently recently build houses /appartments.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3374917/The-day-Britain-went-UK-hit-worst-floods-decades-towns-mini-Venices-thousands-flee-homes.html

Yes those new build sites were probably formerly water sink areas, scrubland / communal grassy areas etc