House Price Crash Forum

Un-Friending On Facebook

libspero

HOLA441

just an idea following a comment in another thread..

How much of a crime against your eyeballs/principles does someone have to commit to be exiled from your Facebook friends list? Or have you ever been unfriended over something silly/trivial?

Do you just "unfollow" them instead so they don't know you find them impossible bores?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Unfollow as I stated in the other thread principally as its too tempting to offer a counter arguments to their postings as I don't want to get embroiled in debates with people I have to work with. In essence a form of self censorship.

I've never defriended anyone on FB for any political views.

HOLA443

I have blocked the twats who've made my life a misery by being nosey f&cktards.
And I deleted one person cos she took about 8 months to add me after my friend request and by then she'd shown what an idiot she was.

I think I don't like *some* people very much at all.
But then they were stupid enough to tell the police (who told me) that they had been trawling my facebook for 'evidence'...

Evidence that they are paranoid nutters maybe.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Never have, have a strange 'addiction' to FB in that I scroll the news feed (as fast as I can) and feel a great relief when I see crap I've already seen. Seriously need to deactivate the account, or start that 'de-friending' process.

HOLA446

News Feed eradicator stops anyone getting upset/unfriended.

As for what I post, I always assume the Government/CIA/Employer is watching so restrict my postings to kittens.

I too assume the Government/CIA is watching and that's why I restrict my postings to kittens wearing suicide vests.

HOLA447

I un-friended Facebook itself about 3 years ago. Really dont miss it in the slightest. Which was surprising as you would expect that of something you spent a lot of time every day looking at.

HOLA448

I un-friended Facebook itself about 3 years ago.

This seems increasingly popular now.

It doesn't seem to be trendy at all.. People with better things to do no longer feel they're missing out on anything much.

I admit I quite like it still just to follow the lives of people I know but am now too geographically remote from to see regularly (or at all). Like old best friends and cousins etc

Edit to add: No, I'm lying to myself. I also like to see the new shed Derek just proudly erected in his back garden, mentally remind myself I'd have done it much better, make bets about how long before his kid plants themself head first through the low plate glass window, then post a congratulatory comment telling him how good it looks and we really must catch up some time.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I admit I quite like it still just to follow the lives of people I know but am now too geographically remote from to see regularly (or at all). Like old best friends and cousins etc

Likewise.

I've recently 'unfollowed' about 50% of my contacts on there that accumulated through different university courses etc. Quick and easy.

I also removed any personal information from it regarding location etc, it's amazing how much effort they put into ensuring that stuff is filled out!

I've considered deactivating a few times now but realised I use the login for a whole load of apps. B@lls. Especially Tinder.

HOLA4411

I tend to go in waves, slowly add people and then get to the point and say why the hell do I want to read their inane dribblings and go on a mass delete. I have a core of about 8 people I'd probably never delete, but you tend to find that 90% of the people you deleted come back eventually and you need to do it all over again.

Facebook for me is literally just a recognised central place to contact people. Email addresses change, people more but you tend to find that they don't move on from Facebook.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I'd be surprised if many people on this forum were even Facebook members.

I'm not. The very idea of it repulses me.

I'm not a member. I can get all my inane drivel from here. :huh:

HOLA4415

I leave them but don't bite or comment. Better to keep an eye on them.

I have an old ladyfriend who is a member of Britain First and some of the stuff she posts is shall we say bloody embarrassing. I don't agree with it but I respect her right to say it if she wants...

Still comment on general threads and birthdays ect I just stay away from the political stuff though...

HOLA4416

I waste far, far too much of my life on Facebook and HPC. It's an addiction, the constant checking of it.

However at least on HPC I get interesting (no, really!) conversations with people. Facebook is just a shallow bragging platform. It's really one of the most horrible things to have happened to first world societies, in terms of what it brings out in people.

I fully admit that for the most part, Facebook:

1. is a pointless time sink that you spend scrolling through your news feed instead of doing anything more useful

2. makes me feel bad when I see people posting how interesting and eventful their lives are (I know this is not a representation of their real lives)

3. leads to me disliking people as I get to know them more via their profiles and see how shallow and narcissistic they are; complete with endless selfies, photos that are quite clearly staged for Facebook, and their Social Justice Warrior political views

I think I need to de-activate my Facebook...

HOLA4417

Oh and in terms of people I've deleted over the years; I've had a few Facebook 'culls' where I've gotten rid of loads of people because they were folk who I'd not seen for a decade or more and had no plans to see, so why on earth would I want to waste time every day reading about their lives. Some of them were people who never even spoke to me in school but for some reason added me on Facebook.

The other person I deleted was a woman who I was both besotted and angry with after a nasty rejection and didn't want to have to see her annoying gorgeous face-that-I-would-never-kiss staring back at me several times a day when I logged in. So I deleted her and of course she took offense and slagged me off on twitter as being entitled. Which was nice.

HOLA4418

I waste far, far too much of my life on Facebook and HPC. It's an addiction, the constant checking of it.

However at least on HPC I get interesting (no, really!) conversations with people. Facebook is just a shallow bragging platform. It's really one of the most horrible things to have happened to first world societies, in terms of what it brings out in people.

I think I need to de-activate my Facebook...

Ah ha! I like the variety of opinions here! If you cut yourself off from people with whom you disagree, you have cut off half your information, Like losing a leg really. Better off with two, eh? :unsure:

HOLA4419

News Feed eradicator stops anyone getting upset/unfriended.

As for what I post, I always assume the Government/CIA/Employer is watching so restrict my postings to kittens.

Me, too.

Do you post about all kittens or only stainless steel ones? :blink:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived