House Price Crash Forum

I Did 6 Viewings This Weekend....( I Kid You Not )

TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA441

I haven't viewed a house since I bought my one and only place nearly 18yrs ago. The stress of that time still lingers. Would love to have traded up after 10yrs, but crazy HPI put paid to that. I'm seeing plenty of unoccupied houses all along the coast where I live - French Riviera. All the boomers are now selling up and moving back to where they came from or using the cash as retirement money/health costs. But they can't sell.

We did think about moving to the UK for a while till I retire , then head back to France and buy a cheap place in the country. HPI killed that idea also.

I look on UK websites from time to time...to keep updated In my price bracket, most of what I see is in the UK is rubbish. Overpriced rubbish.

EVERYTHING I see listed in the UK is overpriced rubbish.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Desperate, but not desperate enough, ALL of them have already dropped there asking prices, some considerably....still all overvalued.

It's because of their mindset. Tell them that house prices will double over the next five years and they will rub their hands in glee and sit tight. Tell them that house prices will halve over the next five years and they will think you are mad, but prices historically fluctuate and bust follows boom. Look at Greater London in the late 90s, prices dropped over 30% and that was after a much smaller boom than we've had over the last fifteen years.

Edited by Bruce Banner

HOLA444

It's because of their mindset. Tell them that house prices will double over the next five years and they will rub their hands in glee and sit tight. Tell them that house prices will halve over the next five years and they will think you are mad, but prices historically fluctuate and bust follows boom. Look at Greater London in the late 90s, prices dropped over 30% and that was after a much smaller boom than we've had over the last fifteen years.

Sadly this is true.

2004/2005 should have been an end to this madness as TPTB realised it was getting out of hand and sometrhing bad might happen. Instead, the lowered IRs !!!

2007/2008 something bad happened and that should have been an end to this madness, instead they lowered IRs and started money printing !!!

2008-2012 saw some realisation that the system was ****ed. Many house just sat unsold for years

2012-2014 pre-election government made things 10 times worse by pumping bubble as hard as they could with FLS/HTB

2015 - Slow down commences and many people look like they know what's coming. The rhetoric has changed. One can sense the game is up ( again ).

2016 - Total Collapse ?

The thing is, not until total collapse and another bank run will they stop this utter stupidity

IMHO

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA445

....then imagine buying such an asset near/at the top of the market that's already topped out for years WITH IRs near 0% and a government supporting sub-prime mortgages and guaranteeing bank losses of 20% for first time buyers. A bizarre level of ignorance would be required to do that - followed by intolerable regret.

Caveat Emptor.

HOLA446

EVERYTHING I see listed in the UK is overpriced rubbish.

To be fair, there are some places I like in the west/north west of Scotland that have decent quaity / price. But we decided that we'll spend 3mnths a year up there in retirement and rent. Given the ease of the web and sites like airbnb, owners abroad, etc - it's cheap as chips to rent for this length of time. Plus, if we don't like the area/neighbours or weather or fall ill, we can move on.

HOLA447

To be fair, there are some places I like in the west/north west of Scotland that have decent quaity / price. But we decided that we'll spend 3mnths a year up there in retirement and rent. Given the ease of the web and sites like airbnb, owners abroad, etc - it's cheap as chips to rent for this length of time. Plus, if we don't like the area/neighbours or weather or fall ill, we can move on.

Fair point.

HOLA448

Sadly this is true.

2004/2005 should have been an end to this madness as TPTB realised it was getting out of hand and sometrhing bad might happen. Instead, the lowered IRs !!!

2007/2008 something bad happened and that should have been an end to this madness, instead they lowered IRs and started money printing !!!

2008-2012 saw some realisation that the system was ****ed. Many house just sat unsold for years

2012-2014 pre-election government made things 10 times worse by pumping bubble as hard as they could with FLS/HTB

2015 - Slow down commences and many people look like they know what's coming. The rhetoric has changed. One can sense the game is up ( again ).

2016 - Total Collapse ?

The thing is, not until total collapse and another bank run will they stop this utter stupidity

IMHO

2016 - stagflationary sharp shock (raising IRs to combat inflation whilst also in recession) OR not - if not then rinse and repeat with gradual Japanese falls for the next 15 years

HOLA449

At least 2015.75 is going to be interesting. Something to look forward to even if it turns out to be a damp squib.

The fact that it's received so little attention from the mainstream media suggests there might be something in it - most other similar doom dates get plenty of media coverage along with movies and TV documentaries etc.

It could easily come under the category of "unexpected".

ecm-wave-2011-2020.jpg

Edited by billybong

HOLA4410

At least 2015.75 is going to be interesting. Something to look forward to even if it turns out to be a damp squib.

The fact that it's received so little attention from the mainstream media suggests there might be something in it - most other similar doom dates get plenty of media coverage along with movies and TV documentaries etc.

It could easily come under the category of "unexpected".

ecm-wave-2011-2020.jpg

When did they copyright it ?

And why are you breaching his copyright ? :P:P:P:P

Or are you.....

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4411

When did they copyright it ?

And why are you breaching his copyright ? :P:P:P:P

Or are you.....

I don't think I am - are you :P:P

Should we remove the image :unsure:;) I'm sure I've seen it posted on HPC elsewhere :o

At any rate here's a link to the web site if you haven't already got it.

http://

www.armstrongeconomics.com/archives/tag/2015-75

Edited by billybong

HOLA4412

....then imagine buying such an asset near/at the top of the market that's already topped out for years. A bizarre level of ignorance would be required to do that - followed by intolerable regret.

Funnily enough I know of someone who has just done that. Not only that but paid at least £20k over what I'd consider the (overpriced) maximum for the road in question (I used to drink at a pub on the road and the area wasn't great and was made worse by that road connecting up to a council estate - it was like a war zone on Halloween). They seem determined to spend £1000's on redecorating as well.

Mind you their parents used to be an EA and mortgage advisor for a BS (started running a catering business after the credit crunch), so the brainwashing started at a very early age. Karma? The sins of the father and all that?

One thing worthy of note is that it's only because of an inheritance that went towards the deposit that they were able to do this (they had a student loan, pretty big OD and owed money of CC's), plus they're in their mid-late 20's (and were utterly obsessed with buying a house). They'll learn the hard way.

HOLA4413
There really is something stupid about us

Please don't include me in the 'us'. They can eat at massive HPC.

I've already paid twice for 'collective responsibility' victimhood, whilst others rattle around £1m valued houses complacent to anything in financial world, expecting moar HPI+++, and scoffing at idea of ever downsizing... HPI locked in, and would 'miss out' on future HPI.

HOLA4414

Funnily enough I know of someone who has just done that. Not only that but paid at least £20k over what I'd consider the (overpriced) maximum for the road in question (I used to drink at a pub on the road and the area wasn't great and was made worse by that road connecting up to a council estate - it was like a war zone on Halloween). They seem determined to spend £1000's on redecorating as well.

Mind you their parents used to be an EA and mortgage advisor for a BS (started running a catering business after the credit crunch), so the brainwashing started at a very early age. Karma? The sins of the father and all that?

One thing worthy of note is that it's only because of an inheritance that went towards the deposit that they were able to do this (they had a student loan, pretty big OD and owed money of CC's), plus they're in their mid-late 20's (and were utterly obsessed with buying a house). They'll learn the hard way.

There's no excuses at these prices. Brainwashing excuses... can't get away with them. Not at these prices. It's not 2008 again when the brainwashed victims excuse was all the rage. 'Collective responsibility'. For mid-late 20s paying these prices again vs some of us here in our 40s waiting for HPC, learning bailouts the hard way?

It's 2007+30% here.

You think it's overpriced and they've set another top by paying £20K more. Outbidding others in process, who recoil from the prices.

Any bailout can come directly from the hpc-softheart next time to such buyers... not from Gov/taxypayers. Yes they have to learn the hard way.

HOLA4415

It's definitely the peak .

Evidenced by me having put an offer down on a place. Above asking :blink: don't ask me why and I defintely won't try and convince you that there is no crash coming and this is a good idea - very risky business. Just got really bored waiting for so many years and want to settle in a house suitable for the next 15 years and we found one we like and it's crazy expensive but somehow ok compared to the other cr*p on the market. I have (almost) capitulated, if you can't beat them might as well join them. I have sold out AARGH :(

last time I bought that was April 2007 (before selling in '12), at the absolulte peak. So start shorting, the HPC is nigh!

HOLA4416

It's definitely the peak .

Evidenced by me having put an offer down on a place. Above asking :blink: don't ask me why and I defintely won't try and convince you that there is no

Sorry, but I have to ask, was it sealed bids? An offer over asking price gives the EA the green light to start a Dutch auction, as he knows you really want the house.

HOLA4417

I bought new in 1989, not only did a neighbours repossession bought for £165,000 sell for £95,000 6 years later, this takes no account of inflation which was substantial at this time. Whilst the houses fell by annual salary amounts mortgages hit 17%. Most people who were around at the time seem to have forgotten or are in denial. I am beginning to think now that the crash will never happen.....so it is probaby imminent

HOLA4418

Sorry, but I have to ask, was it sealed bids? An offer over asking price gives the EA the green light to start a Dutch auction, as he knows you really want the house.

The agent actually didn't want us to bid higher, suspect they favoured the other buyer for some reason (suspect the other purchaser arranged their mortgage through them) . So we submitted a higher bid anyway which was passed along. It's our final bid no further increase

HOLA4419

I am beginning to think now that the crash will never happen.....so it is probaby imminent

Same here... my wife is desperate to gain the 'security' of a mortgage, while I keep saying that a crash is just around the corner. Kind of a moot point since we can't afford anything livable anyway, but I also feel like it may never happen.

This is the new norm...?

HOLA4420

My krusty alsop loving HPI cliche spouting primary school teaching sister just had an offer accepted on a new build shitbox for sale. :huh:

Showed me it on rightmove and said 'what would you offer? we were thinking of going in at £xxxk (96% of asking price) and if they don't accept, offering £xxxk (98% of asking).'

I said take a look at sold prices in the area rather than basing you offer on asking price. How do I do that was her reply. They got it for 98% of asking I gather. Krusty and Fill would be proud of her hardball negotiating skillz. :wacko:

Her previous form was buying at 2006 peak. Just sold that pile of bricks at a loss but somehow has rationalised it away in her head that they were really unlucky to buy at peak and that prices will only keep going up now.

I'm hoping she hits a 2/2 bullseye on top picking here. Given up trying to reason with her, almost hope she crashes and burns which in conventional wisdom probably makes me a bad person but I'm sick of the madness. :ph34r:

HOLA4421

I viewed a place today.

Very much what it said on the tin. Had potential to be a good place: ample space inside and out, quiet location, but rather bizarrely arranged. I should want to get it rewired (bah) and redecorate it (good), but also rearrange it to bring the kitchen up to the ground floor next to the dining room, and turn the downstairs nice room from a kitchen-diner (which leaves the real dining room redundant) into my office. Then the windowless downstairs room - the cellar - becomes a utility room and downstairs loo as well as storage. Thus leaving upstairs as bedrooms and bathroom.

Should I offer as much as 80% of the asking price? Or should I start at that and knock off an estimate of the cost of alterations?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

My krusty alsop loving HPI cliche spouting primary school teaching sister just had an offer accepted on a new build shitbox for sale. :huh:

Showed me it on rightmove and said 'what would you offer? we were thinking of going in at £xxxk (96% of asking price) and if they don't accept, offering £xxxk (98% of asking).'

I said take a look at sold prices in the area rather than basing you offer on asking price. How do I do that was her reply. They got it for 98% of asking I gather. Krusty and Fill would be proud of her hardball negotiating skillz. :wacko:

Her previous form was buying at 2006 peak. Just sold that pile of bricks at a loss but somehow has rationalised it away in her head that they were really unlucky to buy at peak and that prices will only keep going up now.

I'm hoping she hits a 2/2 bullseye on top picking here. Given up trying to reason with her, almost hope she crashes and burns which in conventional wisdom probably makes me a bad person but I'm sick of the madness. :ph34r:

I have a sister in law like this - I think she gets dragged into all the positive buying sentiment and the popularity contest that surrounds buying a house at the peak of the mania. Cue happy boomer relatives saying what a good buy etc. big smiles all round. 2005 and 2014.

Edited by Si1

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Credible offers? Or offers that rely on your buyers finding a buyer and raising unhealthy mortgages?

I don't think anybody who was serious about buying it was using a mortgage. All of them are "investors" of one type or another.

Re: your point about renovations - the house is "tired" (same owner since built, mid sixties) and we fully expect offers to reflect this. We get some feedback that the place "needs work" - it's not a major renovation project or anything, although some viewers seem to convince themselves that it is. No idea what a survey would say, if a buyer was relying on getting a mortgage.

Really, it might have been sold by now but for the ineptitude of the EA. What are they actually for, except to get in the way?