House Price Crash Forum

The Road To <10% Body Fat

HOLA441

Window cleaning eh ......

Any "Confessions of" type events yet :)

Not yet but i have met some chatty women ;-)

My mate who i'm working for can't understand why a daily round takes me all day but i keep getting offered cups of tea and end up chatting on most jobs!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

After 2 & half years of unemployment / mini retirement i have got a summer job working for my mate's business jetwashing patios and driveways at posh mansions as well as window cleaning, been at it 3 weeks now, i'am burning some real calories!!

Proper honest graft it is!

It beats the Gym for a workout 10hr days of manual labour!

Suntan's coming on too!

Sounds great.

I always fancied the best fitness/discipline plan might be to join the British Army, strike a superior office on your first day and get a year in the Cheltenham Glasshouse.

Unless they've gone soft.

HOLA443

Got a pretty strong 4 pack (the last 2 are lurking under my remaining chubella ) , I like the beers too really, if gave that up would see the results I suppose but just cba. Doing kickboxing and jiu jitsu has paid off as I've shaped up nicely

• 1 month later...
HOLA444

Forgive me Father for I have sinned. It's been a couple of months since my last confession.

It's hard to live on a restricted diet all the time and no sooner did I take my foot off the gas than the chub started appearing back on my midsection.

So I'm back on the programme but this time with more emphasis on the expenditure side of the energy equation, specifically resistance exercises.

I've purchased a pull-up tower (see below: used @ £25) which is now installed in the garden right outside my work shed via which I can knock out pull-ups, push-ups and dips throughout the day.

pDSP1-19067047v750.jpg

I've also disinterred my rusty and mostly unused weights collection to provide 2 sets of dumbbells - a heavy pair (don't laugh) currently at 8Kg apiece which I'm using for a 10-15 rep squat-clean-press routine:

squat_clean_press_article.jpg

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-tips/burn-fat-squat-clean-press

and a light set currently @ 4 Kg each for front-, side- and bent-over raises.

After only a few weeks the results over my whole upper body are already remarkable - pecs, lats, biceps, triceps, deltoids and trapezius are all firming up nicely.

For instance, I can feel my lats impinging on my triceps and for the first time see ripples when flexing my pecs and deltoids.

I also already feel more "muscular", particularly just after a session.

I'd heard of newb gainz but I thought you had to go at it for months to notice any tangible effects.

In short, I'm hooked.

To those experienced weight trainers, what can I expect to see next? And any suggestions?

HOLA445

I splashed out on a pair of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerBlock-Sport-2-4-Adjustable-Dumbbells/dp/B000A6T9I8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467917995&sr=8-1&keywords=power+block+dumbells

They're amazing, you can swap between weights virtually instantly, which means I can do 3 'circuits' of the 5 or so exercises I'm doing without needing to pause for too long to change weights between exercises. Means I can get all my exercises done around in around 30 minutes of non-stop lifting.

I'm off work next week so will try to stick to my 'ideal' regimen which I never seem to get time to follow, which is Monday Wednesday Friday on the weights, and Tuesday Thursday Sunday cardio on the cross trainer, and Saturday off.

HOLA446
HOLA447

I've probably posted this before but I always thought this was an interesting article about lifting, and the muscles you should be concentrating on:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-more-you-lift-the-worse-you-look

Christ no! All that heavy lifting makes you a big bag of blob. :wacko:

HOLA448

To those experienced weight trainers, what can I expect to see next? And any suggestions?

Injuries from imbalanced musculature are a real risk. Maybe add in a decent amount of stretches and cardio. Ideally see a good trainer and work out a programme that won't overdevelop one half of complementary muscles.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Forgive me Father for I have sinned. It's been a couple of months since my last confession.

It's hard to live on a restricted diet all the time and no sooner did I take my foot off the gas than the chub started appearing back on my midsection.

So I'm back on the programme but this time with more emphasis on the expenditure side of the energy equation, specifically resistance exercises.

I've purchased a pull-up tower (see below: used @ £25) which is now installed in the garden right outside my work shed via which I can knock out pull-ups, push-ups and dips throughout the day.

pDSP1-19067047v750.jpg

I've also disinterred my rusty and mostly unused weights collection to provide 2 sets of dumbbells - a heavy pair (don't laugh) currently at 8Kg apiece which I'm using for a 10-15 rep squat-clean-press routine:

squat_clean_press_article.jpg

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-tips/burn-fat-squat-clean-press

and a light set currently @ 4 Kg each for front-, side- and bent-over raises.

After only a few weeks the results over my whole upper body are already remarkable - pecs, lats, biceps, triceps, deltoids and trapezius are all firming up nicely.

For instance, I can feel my lats impinging on my triceps and for the first time see ripples when flexing my pecs and deltoids.

I also already feel more "muscular", particularly just after a session.

I'd heard of newb gainz but I thought you had to go at it for months to notice any tangible effects.

In short, I'm hooked.

Noob Gainz come pretty quickly like within a month, it is addictive at this point and there is some more easy muscle mass to be had here, but then things slow down and you have to start lifting heavy and eating big to get more,

i mean like going for 4-6 reps with 15-20kg DB's etc

You will need to go on a bulking diet to get some size and then do a 8-10wk cut

(as we all know the minutae of cutting here now it should be easy, <500 cal deficit keeping protein intake high 1/1.5g per lb bodyweight to avoid muscle catabolism)

Best part is going on a "Dirty Bulk" training hard and eating at Mac D's / KFC etc.

Feeling "muscular" after a session is known as "The Pump" this is where bloodflow to the muscles has peaked and gives the impression of massive gainz & fullness, it subsides after a few hours. Some people will go and get a pump in the gym on a friday evening before a night out on the town and wear a tight T-shirt lol

I have heard and agreed with a few people that "if you could keep the pump it would be ideal"

So effectively you are always chasing "The Pump"

No1 best lift i ever did was the Barbell Deadlift

nothing packs it on better, expect good Trap / Lat & Forearm growth

Form is everything think "press the floor away with your feet"

Two caveat's:

If you are older and you blow up big you will stretch the skin and may not have that youthful elasticity to bail you out when you eventually pack it in or get injured and shrink back to normal, leaving sagging and wrinkles where there was none like elbow creases / armpits etc

Pump up too much & you won't be able to fight or throw snappy punches as it restricts movement.

Also remember:

"Lifting weights is like working & not getting paid"

&

Cheap Protein powders can give the trotts lol.

HOLA4411

Injuries from imbalanced musculature are a real risk. Maybe add in a decent amount of stretches and cardio. Ideally see a good trainer and work out a programme that won't overdevelop one half of complementary muscles.

This is very true, one way to keep things balanced is to follow the "push / pull" mantra.

I.E a pushing movement should be followed by a pulling movement.

So

Barbell Chest press followed by Bent over row

Overhead Press followed by Lat Pulldown etc

I came around to this way of training after overdeveloping my front delts and not working the Rear delts, it leaves you with hunched foward shoulders and general pulling / impingement issues in the shoulders.

Reminds me i must balance out my front crawl swimming with some backstroke.

HOLA4412

I'd add that a good trainer will be able to get you training with better form, so you can get equal or better results from less heavy weights. Once you get to the point of going heavy, you're putting stress on your joints and your central nervous system. For us um, more mature gents, that can add up to injuries which happen quickly and take ages to heal. The risk is reduced when your form is perfect so that you're only targeting the muscle you want to and not placing strain on the tendons and ligaments around it.

A good example is side lateral raises - if you get those wrong, you're looking at a whole load of damage/pain from your shoulder right down your arm.

Don't let that put you off though TONA - if you really get into it, you'll never stop seeing the benefits :)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Also remember:

"Lifting weights is like working & not getting paid"

Funny, I was just thinking that - maybe I should get a job "on the bins" or digging graves.

For us um, more mature gents, that can add up to injuries which happen quickly and take ages to heal.

Yes, I'm very wary of injury as it's happened every time I've attempted weights in the past.

Thanks for the tips guys.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Funny, I was just thinking that - maybe I should get a job "on the bins" or digging graves.

Yes, I'm very wary of injury as it's happened every time I've attempted weights in the past.

Thanks for the tips guys.

If injuries are a problem stick to bodyweight exercises. You can't progress as quickly as you can with weights, and you can't go as far because you're limited in what you can do. These limitations are also what make you less likely to injure yourself if you've got some sort of form problem or dodgy training plan.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Saw a programme about him. Think I mentioned on here before. He's put on a huge amount of weight to try and become Worlds Strongest man. Knows he has to lose stones straight after the event as it will kill him within years.

They did lots of tests on him though - and he is still incredibly fit - even for his size. Massive lung capacity etc. Proper athlete. Weird for someone who weighs about 25 stone !!

Showed him in the pool as well and even with all that arm muscle - hes still a pretty decent swimmer as was a club swimmer when younger.

HOLA4420

I was there, and if you're into that kind of thing it was spectacular. A few years back no one thought this was possible, but I think we really are close to the limit now.

600kg sounds ridiculous, he might get it up to 510/520, but to see him collapse afterwards shows how difficult this actually is. It's verging on insane.

HOLA4421

I was there, and if you're into that kind of thing it was spectacular. A few years back no one thought this was possible, but I think we really are close to the limit now.

600kg sounds ridiculous, he might get it up to 510/520, but to see him collapse afterwards shows how difficult this actually is. It's verging on insane.

I was there, I'm not normally into sport but what a night, the atmosphere was incredible. I can't see anyone breaking the record for a looooong time. Eddie is a top bloke too.

HOLA4422

I was there, I'm not normally into sport but what a night, the atmosphere was incredible. I can't see anyone breaking the record for a looooong time. Eddie is a top bloke too.

Yeah, good night. Dissappointing that Zavickas wasn't there, but we're all big Mark Felix and Eddie Hall fans in our house. And Game of Thrones fans too so it was good to see the mountain in action.

HOLA4423

http://m.dailyecho.co.uk/news/14623176.Health_warning_over__explosive_exercises_/?ref=fbpg

THEY are the cult exercise regimes rigorously followed by fitness fanatics searching for the perfect body.

Millions of people including those in Hampshire are rapidly adopting high intensity fitness sessions to cram into their busy lives in the battle to beat the bulge.

But shocking figures from a Southampton expert reveals these explosive exercises have fuelled a four-fold increase in agonising injuries within three years.

Now a city expert warns that people pushing themselves to the limit in a quest for eternal youth are propelling themselves towards chronic diseases more common in elderly patients.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Has anyone on here fainted when doing a deadlift? I think I may have had a brief loss of consciousness while lifting the other day. It was a very strange experience, I didn't collapse but the weights hit the floor very hard and I don't remember deciding to put them down!

Archived