House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turned Out Nice Again

The Road To <10% Body Fat

I'm embarking on one of my periodic physical culture drives, this time: to achieve shredded abs before my 57th birthday, 3 months away.

I've had a running start of a month or so of dieting (more like intermittent fasting), after which I'm down to size 34 jeans from 36 and the last hole on my leather belt. I figure <10% body fat would see me at size 32 or less, for the first time in my adult life.

So far, so good, but I think I've had the easy gains so far in that while my belly now looks pretty flat and the bone structure of my face is accentuated, the subcutaneous fat on my lower back and abdomen (and probably underlying visceral fat) is proving harder to shift. And while I generally feel great, my usual health niggles having all abated, I'm getting episodes of tiredness and compulsion to lie down - probably the body's Starvation Response.

I reckon now's the time to add-in some physical activity: fasted HIIT + squats and body-weight lifts.

Anybody else tried to get similarly jacked, at my age, or younger, and pulled it off?

Admire your discipline. Tough job at 57 though.

I still have my target to do 5k in under 20 mins. I went backwards at Christmas and took a long time to recover, but putting in some more distance now and doing about 20 miles per week. That should reduce my weight to 8 stone over the next few months, so I am hoping that will be the final push to achieving it by September.

Although I do weights 3x per week and lots of sit ups, pull ups etc don't have six pack. I reckon I would have to go seriously hard core to make it.

Good luck.

Hiit once a week.

Resistance training 3 times a week.

Faultless diet - no room for junk food.

As much 'easy' exercise I.e. Walking at a moderate pace, as you can fit into your scedule.

Your 57...have your testoserone levels checked and see if they could do with a...boost...

Dorito's and greggs, followed by cutting one of your buttocks off to get rid of fat.

Hiit once a week.

As much 'easy' exercise I.e. Walking at a moderate pace, as you can fit into your scedule.

Your 57...have your testoserone levels checked and see if they could do with a...boost...

Thanks Joe, that's pretty much what I'm planning, with a sloooow buildup to avoid my usual pitfall of getting immediately injured as soon as I embark on lifting.

I think my testosterone is OK judging by my libido and functioning of the wedding tackle. I wouldn't want to supplement that in any case. I am interested in natural ways of boosting T and HGH though.

Dieting is no trouble for me.

Admire your discipline. Tough job at 57 though.

I still have my target to do 5k in under 20 mins. I went backwards at Christmas and took a long time to recover, but putting in some more distance now and doing about 20 miles per week. That should reduce my weight to 8 stone over the next few months, so I am hoping that will be the final push to achieving it by September.

Although I do weights 3x per week and lots of sit ups, pull ups etc don't have six pack. I reckon I would have to go seriously hard core to make it.

Good luck.

Cheers. Are you a hearty eater? I've read that abs are made in the kitchen more than the gym.

One of my friends did. He's dead now.

Dead is not very fit at all! :blink:

Thanks Joe, that's pretty much what I'm planning, with a sloooow buildup to avoid my usual pitfall of getting immediately injured as soon as I embark on lifting.

I think my testosterone is OK judging by my libido and functioning of the wedding tackle. I wouldn't want to supplement that in any case. I am interested in natural ways of boosting T and HGH though.

Dieting is no trouble for me.

Cool - yes TRT is risky so probably best not to dabble unless you have to.

I really admire people who stay in shape as they enter the age where most people 'give up', so fair play to you. A bloke I know is 57 and runs 6 marathons a year; and my father who is 63 does a 2 hour cycle with me every weekend. I'm hoping when I'm that age that I'll still be in good health and able to enjoy regular exercise of some sort.

A few things to note:

- at one point I was sub-10% bodyfat, it was measured as 7% and you could see the striations between my chest muscles when I flexed them, but...I still didn't have a six pack. So don't beat yourself up if you're lean as hell but just happen to store that final few grams of fat around your belly button.

- a bodybuilding forum will probably be able to help you with supplements to help you get 'contest ready' - by this I mean that the movie stars and bodybuilders typically only stay shredded for a very short length of time, as it's so difficult to do so - but I think it's a noble goal to try and hit that spot, even for a few days. Get a few photos taken while your at it for vanity's sake, it's something to be proud of. I remember a few years ago Stallone (in his mid-60's at the time) made a movie where he was shredded (pic below) and in an interview he admitted that he was only in that shredded state for a few days to film the scenes where he had to take his top off.

stallone-bullet-465.jpg

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on!

Specially as he was cremated last week. Daft Boy!

Not the one that posted here? :(

Not nice to see a friend go!

Dunno how tall the OP is - but I'm nearly six foot, and a 32 inch waist is not enough to reveal a six pack. Even when I was a 28 inch waist, I didn't have one.

I would take some care. Wasn't it some burst of fitness enthusiasm in his 50s that did for Andrew Marr? Perhaps a chat with the quack?

By way of inspiration though, a friend of mine managed it in his late 30s, and has kept it all through his 40s. He eats some damn peculiar stuff at times though.

Dunno how tall the OP is - but I'm nearly six foot, and a 32 inch waist is not enough to reveal a six pack. Even when I was a 28 inch waist, I didn't have one.

I would take some care. Wasn't it some burst of fitness enthusiasm in his 50s that did for Andrew Marr? Perhaps a chat with the quack?

By way of inspiration though, a friend of mine managed it in his late 30s, and has kept it all through his 40s. He eats some damn peculiar stuff at times though.

I'm also a gnat's under 6ft. You might be right. I still have a pair of jeans I used to wear in my late 30s which I can't get near yet, but no 6-pack in evidence then. I think my lightest weight was about 12st 2lb, down from over 16st in my late 20s (due to sedentary job and riding everywhere on a motorcycle).

I deliberately haven't weighed myself this time.

I've always thought the mark of a male model physique is waist<inside leg - my latter is 32 - so maybe I'm looking at needing a <30" waist. Crikey!

Andrew Marr suffered a rare stroke that is brought on by constriction of the carotid from mad shoulder hyperextension - he was on a rowing machine, I believe. I'm too wary of injuries to do that.

Yes I start the day by launching my self into the air and touching the ceiling . That`s how I assess whether I`m alive or not. Usually I am.

I was 85kgs twenty years ago came down to a fighting weight of 82 and now a poverty weight of 76kg. (6ft)

Fat is all around my belly button ....

To be honest I haven't considered doing anything about it until now.

I am 6 foot 2 inches tall, 12.5 stone. I cycle about 20 miles a day. I do not have a six-pack.

I'm 4 foot 9, which is just a lttle under 6 foot, and travel on a unicycle, to "save the envronment" from these two wheeled wasters!

Hiit once a week.

What does that entail Joe, and can it be raised naturally...? I reckon I am ok but I`ve always been curious about that.

I`m sixty, six foot, and was hovering around 14.5 stone for 20 years. I move furniture for a living (pianos occasionally) and have been doing it for 35 years, so no stranger to lifting or fitness, and I can walk up and down stairs for five hours with furniture and boxes still. The problem I found was my knees were hurting at times. So I went on a diet and lost a stone. I am now 13.5 stone, & I plan is to get down to 13 stone.

The difference in being able to move around faster and feeling so much more agile has been quite an eye opener. Even the cliched thing about tying up show laces has been so much easier, and I never really thought of being at a disadvantage by being a stone or so overweight. I do hikes of between 15 and 20 miles once or twice a month and walk whenever I can, rather than drive.

What my dieting has brought home to me also, is what problems being overweight creates for people. I dread to imagine what being grossly overweight feels like. I reckon many overweight people get away with it when young, as our bodies adapt to some extent, but by the age of 40 even if fit, it starts getting tougher and the negatives much more noticable.

Yes, I bought 10 kgs of rice + 2litres of soy sauce to other day and carried it a couple of miles in my back pack.

Difficult to imagine carrying that amount every day.

I'm embarking on one of my periodic physical culture drives, this time: to achieve shredded abs before my 57th birthday, 3 months away.

I've had a running start of a month or so of dieting (more like intermittent fasting), after which I'm down to size 34 jeans from 36 and the last hole on my leather belt. I figure <10% body fat would see me at size 32 or less, for the first time in my adult life.

So far, so good, but I think I've had the easy gains so far in that while my belly now looks pretty flat and the bone structure of my face is accentuated, the subcutaneous fat on my lower back and abdomen (and probably underlying visceral fat) is proving harder to shift. And while I generally feel great, my usual health niggles having all abated, I'm getting episodes of tiredness and compulsion to lie down - probably the body's Starvation Response.

I reckon now's the time to add-in some physical activity: fasted HIIT + squats and body-weight lifts.

Anybody else tried to get similarly jacked, at my age, or younger, and pulled it off?

Spotless diet as mentioned get yourself a nutribullet and use for two meals a day

I am 6 foot 2 inches tall, 12.5 stone. I cycle about 20 miles a day. I do not have a six-pack.

Think the six pack thing is nigh on impossible without steroids in your fifties. Even show competitors only achieve that look about three or 4 times a year in their twenties and thirties and that's with training 4 hours a day and eating pretty bland food 6 times a day and absolutely no treats