House Price Crash Forum

Why Can't I Eat A Lot?

HOLA441

I went to one of those buffet restaurants today - Cosmo. The food was very tasty but I found that I could not eat that much before I felt almost ready to burst. I have felt this way before on 2 or 3 previous visits.

I avoid anything bulky such as breads, chips or rice and mainly concentrate on proteins - chicken, prawns, beef, a few mushrooms and little else. I don't even go for any of the curry sauce meals which look rich and heavy.

On each visit to the buffet I don't even cram my plate full as I see many other people doing - I barely cover half the plate on each visit. So, today, I had 3 plate helpings which, to my estimate, worked out around a plate to perhaps a plate and a half. I take my time to chew the food.

I am trying to figure out why I can't eat vast amounts at these kind of restaurants? I am wondering whether it is simply too much protein in a short space of time for my body to take in? Or, more likely, the fact that I generally do not eat big meals and prefer to eat small but frequent meals throughout the day? Then again, I usually have no problem eating something like the occasional battered cod and chips.

So I am somewhat confused as to what is going on. I am avoiding the stodge. I am eating small pieces of chicken, beef, whatever and I chew it well.

Edit:

It is almost 7 hours later and I still feel tremendously full. I doubt that I will eat until tomorrow lunchtime at the earliest.

I am wondering whether people who eat huge amounts of food daily simply have expanded their stomaches and I, preferring to eat smaller meals, simply do not a big enough stomach for this kind of thing.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

You chew and take your time eating allowing your body to process the fact you are eating and becoming full.

Interesting. The chewing being a mechanism to the brain of fullness? Yes, I have heard it said that obese people need to chew more in order to get this brain signal.

HOLA447

Protein takes longer to digest than carbs, I believe

I thought it was the other way around?

I recall seeing the BBC programmes on Eddie Izzard doing his 7 marathons in a week. On one overnight stop a mate told him that he needed to eat loads of carbs for energy so he ate a plate of boiled potatoes - and had trouble getting them down. At which point one of his trainers turns up and told him off saying that his body would find it hard to digest the carbs and that he shoud have gone for protein instead such as chicken.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I thought it was the other way around?

I recall seeing the BBC programmes on Eddie Izzard doing his 7 marathons in a week. On one overnight stop a mate told him that he needed to eat loads of carbs for energy so he ate a plate of boiled potatoes - and had trouble getting them down. At which point one of his trainers turns up and told him off saying that his body would find it hard to digest the carbs and that he shoud have gone for protein instead such as chicken.

Carbs get digested first, then proteins, then fats.

Traditionally, endurance athletes would engage in carb, not protein, loading to restore glycogen levels...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycogen#Glycogen_depletion_and_endurance_exercise

Edit: Maybe cost-conscious buffets are cunningly lacing their salad bars with amphetamines?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phentermine

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I also find this at buffet all-you-can-eat restaurants. Most frustrating. I tend to starve myself a bit beforehand and pace myself but there's not a lot more I can do.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Came on here to post about food too.

How odd.

I just cant seem to eat anything at the moment that hits the spot. Im a reasonable cookl, but i guess ive gotten lazy.

I think i need a mentally hot curry to kick start the buds.

Been going on for a week or two now.

HOLA4415

I also find this at buffet all-you-can-eat restaurants. Most frustrating. I tend to starve myself a bit beforehand and pace myself but there's not a lot more I can do.

Yep, I fast beforehand also - but it does not work. Tried my best to pace myself also and that does not work.

Just thinking about it now I occasionally have a curry and rice, which is a bigger mass than what I ate today, and I have no problem with that. Or, as I mentioned earlier, the occasional fish & chips.

It is frustrating as, in many respects, my friends whom I was with think that these places are a bargain but, to someone like myself, they are actually expensive compared to what I actually eat. The day prices are half the price of the evening meals which, for me, who be an expensive meal for what I eat.

HOLA4416

Came on here to post about food too.

How odd.

I just cant seem to eat anything at the moment that hits the spot. Im a reasonable cookl, but i guess ive gotten lazy.

I think i need a mentally hot curry to kick start the buds.

Been going on for a week or two now.

Weather related? There is a huge storm due in the next 24 hours - it will be interesting to see if your appetite returns once the storm breaks.

HOLA4417

But I didn't eat any carbs.

Depending on the individual's physiology, fats/ proteins will possibly leave an individual feeling sated longer than carbs because, amongst other reasons, they take longer to digest and feed into the bloodstream.

On top of that, appetite regulation is quite a complicated business and your body may be taking quality and intensity of flavour, or other chemical triggers, into account when signaling that it feels sated, before digestion is even complete.

As discussed on the various carb threads, if I want to load up at the start of a strenuous day and maybe will have to skip lunch, a breakfast of animal bits works for me.

Though, no doubt, someone will be along in due course to say that afatc a loaf of white bread washed down with a pint of high fructose corn syrup is the breakfast of champions. Each to their own, vive le difference, etc etc

HOLA4418

Oh, and someone has actually published a paper on this, feeding subjects high and low protein versions of similar sandwiches and asking them when they feel full...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8700963?dopt=Abstract&holding=npg

Edit: similar sandwich, similar volumes consumed, higher protein version reduces feelings of hunger faster. If it were just down to bulk there wouldn't be a difference.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I am wondering whether people who eat huge amounts of food daily simply have expanded their stomaches and I, preferring to eat smaller meals, simply do not a big enough stomach for this kind of thing.

I think this might be the right answer. I can't eat really big meals. And if the food is stodgy, like a pizza, I'll struggle to eat very much of it. It might well be nice, but whether I am enjoying it or not, I seem to stop fairly abruptly at a certain point when my body tells me to.

From what I recall we're supposed to eat little and often and the teeth and intestinal tracts of humans are more suited to a vegetarian or mostly vegetarian diet (carnivores have sharp teeth unlike us, and herbivores have long intestinal tracts as we do).

So I don't suppose there's anything wrong in this.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

That's a mistake. Eat normally before rather than starve.

Don't drink lots either if you want to fill up on food.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

What is it that they put in McDonald's food..

I have about three a year and it's always the veggie deli melt wrap meal with a Coke.

Despite being bland and mostly dry and unappetising, it seems to make me feel much more full than it looks like it will, and saps me of energy for about three hours. I feel like I need to go and lie down afterwards.

Archived