House Price Crash Forum

Records That Sold By The Shed Load, But No One Admits Buying Them.

Trampa501

HOLA441
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I always assumed that they were bought as presents for soon-to-be-disappointed grandchildren by grandparents who couldn't distinguish between any of that there pop music so would buy something that they recognised.

The nearest I came to buying a novelty record was the Pet Shops Boys' - Please for which I was duly slated by the musos at college.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

let me take you back to 1997... the biggest selling [uK] record of all time was a strange phenomenon. Its consumption perfectly capturing the mass hysteria of the time. bet no-one has played it since.

HOLA449

let me take you back to 1997... the biggest selling [uK] record of all time was a strange phenomenon. Its consumption perfectly capturing the mass hysteria of the time. bet no-one has played it since.

Ah yes, the one where those lyrics which perfectly fitted Diana were rewritten to make it as inoffensive as possible.

"You had the grace to hold yourself

While those around you crawled

They crawled out of the woodwork

And they whispered into your brain

They set you on the treadmill

And they made you change your name"

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Ah yes, the one where those lyrics which perfectly fitted Diana were rewritten to make it as inoffensive as possible.

"You had the grace to hold yourself

While those around you crawled

They crawled out of the woodwork

And they whispered into your brain

They set you on the treadmill

And they made you change your name"

Well OK. I much prefer the original. I have this image that a woman grabbing an armful of CDs like some expression of devotion. That is not what music is about. It was certainly an historic moment and a decent re-write under the circumstances. Went on to sell nearly 5 million records in the UK.

HOLA4414

"Tubular Bells" is my biggest embarassment.

I even have "Buck's Fizz Greatest Hits", and I'm not embarassed by that.

HOLA4415

Well OK. I much prefer the original. I have this image that a woman grabbing an armful of CDs like some expression of devotion. That is not what music is about. It was certainly an historic moment and a decent re-write under the circumstances. Went on to sell nearly 5 million records in the UK.

Agreed. The bandwagon took off because so many people were requesting the original to be played on radio stations as it captured something emotionally in a way which I don't think the subsequent re-write did. It was almost as though the new lyrics were a way of defusing the implied criticism of the establishment if the original lyrics are reinterpreted as relating to Diana.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

My "embarassment" is quite tiny! :blink:

I'd often wondered how you came by your name. <_< Fear not, treat as per skin tags. Tie a cotton thread tightly around the base to cut off the blood supply and in a few days your embarrasment will simply drop off. If you happen to own a haystack, sit on it for the duration and you'll have yourself an amusing party game.

HOLA4420

I'd often wondered how you came by your name. <_< Fear not, treat as per skin tags. Tie a cotton thread tightly around the base to cut off the blood supply and in a few days your embarrasment will simply drop off. If you happen to own a haystack, sit on it for the duration and you'll have yourself an amusing party game.

It's a joke from a lady I know! It's not because I have tiny ****! Although maybe I'm not really Mr Canoe! I'm MrPin because I am sharp! Usually? :blink:

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Bought it. I was 8 1/2 :)

P

I bought it too. Along with this one..

Actually that's not as bad as I thought it was. It's just really annoying.

.. and this one.. which is as bad as I thought it was.

As my musical mentor is watching, yes, I have grown out of those now.

;)

HOLA4425

Archived