House Price Crash Forum

Tenants Fury After Council Newsletter Advises Them To Budget For Court Fines, Cigarettes, Cable Tv And Alcohol

rollover

HOLA441

A council has come under fire after sending tenants an 'insulting' newsletter telling them to set aside money for court fine, cigarettes, Sky TV and lottery tickets. The newsletter, which includes a reminder to residents that they have to pay their rent and council tax, was slammed by locals in the Sussex town as 'an insult' offering patronising advice. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2965373/Council-tells-tenants-budget-court-fines-cigarettes-cable-TV-alcohol.html

25FDFE4500000578-2965373-image-a-13_1424

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Part of that is pointing out the obvious to tenants - and there's a thick percentage (both sense) who need stuff s.p.e.l.t. out s.l.o.w.l.y.

The main part of it is a make work scheme for the LHA.

By their new 'Outreach officer' who probably is related to someone else in the LHA prob. the CEO

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

A council has come under fire after sending tenants an 'insulting' newsletter telling them to set aside money for court fine, cigarettes, Sky TV and lottery tickets. The newsletter, which includes a reminder to residents that they have to pay their rent and council tax, was slammed by locals in the Sussex town as 'an insult' offering patronising advice. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2965373/Council-tells-tenants-budget-court-fines-cigarettes-cable-TV-alcohol.html

25FDFE4500000578-2965373-image-a-13_1424

Complete drivel, from such low end bogroll as the original source. Looks like a textbook method for producing a household budget. Many court fines are paid at £x per week these days so would be included like any repayment vehicle.

Perhaps if a few more people itemised Sky and the TV Licence separately they might ask why 50% of households pay some pretty incredible sums for Pay TV channels, and yet spend the vast majority of their time watching free to air content...

HOLA448

I feel sorry for the council. They've tried to do something to help their tenets and whilst some won't need this help they can just put it in the bin in the same way the unsolicited takeaway leaflet 'implies' they can't cook. Those that are in trouble and trying to do something may find this breakdown useful, and those that are a waste of space at least can't complain the council did nothing to help them. Seems a complete none story to me, but then it is in the DM so situation normal

HOLA449

I cant see the problem with the tick list provided, looks like any other budgetary statement of income/expenses any sane person would go through. So theres a tickbox for cigarettes, but you dont smoke? What you do, is dont tick it, and move on with your life, not write to a newspaper.

Perhaps on the income side, they should put a box called "compensation" because some people seem to think that is part of their fixed income

The only way this sort of thing would wind me up (excess expenditure wise) is if it was translated into the 73 offical languages used in the UK (including some variant of Native American Indian only spoken by a tribe of 6 elders, all who died in the 1800's) and even then I wouldnt be personally offended..

Edited by madmax2

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I feel sorry for the council. They've tried to do something to help their tenets and whilst some won't need this help they can just put it in the bin in the same way the unsolicited takeaway leaflet 'implies' they can't cook. Those that are in trouble and trying to do something may find this breakdown useful, and those that are a waste of space at least can't complain the council did nothing to help them. Seems a complete none story to me, but then it is in the DM so situation normal

But... but.. it explicitly says "less (take away)" ... :D

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

What is more to the point is why Councils have to put rents up at Inflation busting levels year after year.

If they didn't push rents up we`d have no problem paying.

Believe me, private landlords can push up rent costs a lot faster! The council are raising above inflation because they are trying to play catch up!

Edit: Typing errors!

Edited by renting til I die

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

So both social and private have to suffer high rent increases?

I`m so glad that I`ll soon arrive in the calmer waters of our benefit culture!!

I never said that high rent increases above inflation (if you believe inflation figures are correct!) were right. That is how the system appears to be working, at the moment, and I'm sure that I would snap your arm off to pay the rent you are current paying as a council dwelling! :P

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Me too, last year I got 1.42%, this year I`ll get nothing,

Well, I beat you there, I got a 1.5% wage rise!

Regarding rent increases. Since I've been living here, first year I didn't have one (lucky me), 2nd year up 15.1%! LL wanted a 33.5% rise (to get it to the market rate)! I still pay under market but boy was that a big increase. I'm having a good clear out as I'm sure the LL will want another mega raise next year too, as he has just retired and he has time on his hands to be extra greedy!

Of course even my starting rent when compared with my sister's, who was lucky enough to get a council place was stratospheric! She also has a increase of a few % every year, although never as high as 7.5% which for a council place seems like a very steep increase!

The most important thing about council housing though, is the secure tenancy. The savings on rents is just a bonus!

So I can understand you being aggrieved at your continuous rent rises (continuously above inflation and your wages increases, I might add!), but please spare a thought for us poor private tenants who really can be dumped on by private landlords (and believe me, I don't think my situation is nearly as bad as others)!

HOLA4424

As I`ve said on here before, I rented a house in japan from 1992 to 2004. Ours rent didn't go up one single Yen, in fact we saved a couple of months rent as the landlord went bankrupt!

Also, my family own a piece of land (agricultural) which is rented out. We haven't had a rent increase for about 2 years. Boo hoo.

Council housing goes up EVERY YEAR. and has done so for over 10 years.

`Secure tenant` can confirm this.

Yes having a secure tenancy is worth it`s weight in gold....kill for it if you get the chance!