House Price Crash Forum

Middle-Class Cash Crisis

spyguy

HOLA441

I agree with all that - 'middle class' friends back in the UK are always commenting on how 'lucky' we are in our lifestyle in HK. Well, no, it's that your own costs have been increasing year on year with no payrises and tax increases, and a big part of that is the huge mortgages you lot took on in the past decade, whereas we've dodged that bullet by moving overseas to follow work and pay increases.

I have several very good friends who I half expect to need financial help in the next five years. Not sure what I'll do if they ask me.

From now on subtly talk down your wealth, job prospects and HK economy in their company - and look sympathetic when they mention their woes as if you are also struggling. If you can avoid it, never help out a friend financially as it will change the dynamic and they may start to resent you for it.

Try to avoid any conspicuous consumption too. For example, we've never had a car. That instantly marks you as poor in most people's eyes. I think our neighbours were rather shocked when installed solar panels judging by the comments. But I think they somehow have the impression we are using some kind of rent a roof scheme though. Also mostly out of habit (having grown up poor), I am still wearing 20 year old waterproofs, regularly shopping for reduced items and lugging them home on the bike.

That said, if a friend or family member was genuinely struggling e.g. due to loss of job/illness/death - I would help out (and I regularly bung my parents a few quid for a holiday or so).

Personally, I don't see much evidence of the middle classes struggling around here - but most of them around here are rather older than me and should be sitting pretty on their paid off mortgages, notional HPI gains and public sector jobs/pensions.

I do see those who have families economising e.g. telling me in whispered voices they've started shopping at Lidl rather than Waitrose. I smile and tell them I've been going for years.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Household debt hasn't come down as far as in the US precisely because Osborne didn't spend enough to enable private sector deleveraging which in turn has lowered tax receipts etc etc. There's nothing at all surprising about that.

There was more than enough money being spent, just on the wrong things - the private sector cant deleverage when living costs (housing in particular) are rising. Gov spending should focus on things with an economic yield, social housing, infratructure etc rather than non-jobs, stimulus, subsidies, bailouts etc. Its the only way to break the downwards spiral. More of the wrong sort of spending just digs us into a deeper hole.

You cant turn around an economy in a sustainable way purely by a blind cash injection because you just reinforce the complacency, malivestment and inefficiency that put you in a recession in the first place. And thats not even considering the extra debt servicing costs.

Edited by goldbug9999

HOLA443
HOLA444

There was more than enough money being spent, just on the wrong things - the private sector cant deleverage when living costs (housing in particular) are rising. Gov spending should focus on things with an economic yield, social housing, infratructure etc rather than non-jobs, stimulus, subsidies, bailouts etc. Its the only way to break the downwards spiral. More of the wrong sort of spending just digs us into a deeper hole.

You cant turn around an economy in a sustainable way purely by a blind cash injection because you just reinforce the complacency, malivestment and inefficiency that put you in a recession in the first place. And thats not even considering the extra debt servicing costs.

Except it worked

HOLA445

From now on subtly talk down your wealth, job prospects and HK economy in their company - and look sympathetic when they mention their woes as if you are also struggling. If you can avoid it, never help out a friend financially as it will change the dynamic and they may start to resent you for it.

Try to avoid any conspicuous consumption too. For example, we've never had a car. That instantly marks you as poor in most people's eyes. I think our neighbours were rather shocked when installed solar panels judging by the comments. But I think they somehow have the impression we are using some kind of rent a roof scheme though. Also mostly out of habit (having grown up poor), I am still wearing 20 year old waterproofs, regularly shopping for reduced items and lugging them home on the bike.

That said, if a friend or family member was genuinely struggling e.g. due to loss of job/illness/death - I would help out (and I regularly bung my parents a few quid for a holiday or so).

Personally, I don't see much evidence of the middle classes struggling around here - but most of them around here are rather older than me and should be sitting pretty on their paid off mortgages, notional HPI gains and public sector jobs/pensions.

I do see those who have families economising e.g. telling me in whispered voices they've started shopping at Lidl rather than Waitrose. I smile and tell them I've been going for years.

Very wise. ;)

HOLA446
HOLA447

My mum (late-60s) goes 'Oh, Mr XYZ has a nice car. He most be doing well.'

Whereas I tend to judge cars as money pits. In the old days you spent a fortune on maintenance. These days you spent a fortune on finance just leasing the car.

The days of having a fully expensed company car are long gone.

HOLA448

People do seem to have very different views of what financial success looks like.

For me it would be to achieve a situation where we could continue our happy, but modest lifestyle indefinitely even if both and I my wife weren't working. This would mean more time to do things that are "fun and free/cheap" - ie. walk in the hills, read, spend time with friends and family, do evening classes, volunteer for worthwhile causes etc.

For others it seems to be having to be having the biggest house/best car/most lavish holidays while still working ones nuts off and being 1 month away from financial meltdown. How they cope with the stress I really don't know. I really don't mind their choice, but I do resent my savings being crushed to bail them out.

HOLA449

People do seem to have very different views of what financial success looks like.

For me it would be to achieve a situation where we could continue our happy, but modest lifestyle indefinitely even if both and I my wife weren't working. This would mean more time to do things that are "fun and free/cheap" - ie. walk in the hills, read, spend time with friends and family, do evening classes, volunteer for worthwhile causes etc.

For others it seems to be having to be having the biggest house/best car/most lavish holidays while still working ones nuts off and being 1 month away from financial meltdown. How they cope with the stress I really don't know. I really don't mind their choice, but I do resent my savings being crushed to bail them out.

It's not like there isn't fantastic value in the 2nd hand car market currently either

HOLA4410

For me it would be to achieve a situation where we could continue our happy, but modest lifestyle indefinitely even if both and I my wife weren't working. This would mean more time to do things that are "fun and free/cheap" - ie. walk in the hills, read, spend time with friends and family.

I couldn't agree more.

My wife and I chose to retire this year, I realised that we were working our lives away simply to save a bit more money each month and to pay tax.

Our lifestyle hasn't changed other than no work related concerns, better sleep patterns and more time spent doing what we want to do.

Debt and worry free is definitely the way to go!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Car is no indicator of wealth. £390 a month can put a very shiny car on the drive.

£390 per month is more than a 25 year repayment London mortgage used to be just before the turn of the century.....anyway it is not what it costs to buy it is the cost to maintain, drive and service.....£390 for a car each month is still far too much to pay...having a shiny car is having a liability in more ways than one.....tells you quite a lot about someone......having a reliable, comfortable and cheap to run or no car at all, now that is something quite different. ;)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

£390 is a hell of a lot of disposable income.

Since 2012 my disposable income went from £3000pm to about £50 now. I spend it on Lidl pils and rum.

Just depends if you bought a house before 2000 or not

HOLA4415

Just depends if you bought a house before 2000 or not

I don't care. Apart from Lidl nothing gets spent in Britain apart from essentials like Water. Electric is from chinese solar panels. I don't ever buy from VAT registered sources except Lidl & Aldi. Everything else comes from the far east in little bags marked 'sample'.

HOLA4416

I couldn't agree more.

My wife and I chose to retire this year, I realised that we were working our lives away simply to save a bit more money each month and to pay tax.

Our lifestyle hasn't changed other than no work related concerns, better sleep patterns and more time spent doing what we want to do.

Debt and worry free is definitely the way to go!

I lost my job last week. I am smiling ear to ear I don't think I need to work now. I did three days working for an agency this week I am thinking of doing two or three days next week. At the moment there seems to be plenty of work around. Love having the money to live a stress free life beats having a new posh car hands down.

HOLA4417

Flâneur

Le Crunch part deux - BBC R4 yesterday had a phone-in about mortgages. Without exception (the ones I heard) were owner occupiers on Interest Only mortgages, now trapped and unable to change lenders. IIRC almost 50% of mortgages between 2000-08 were interest only. That means that for over a decade some people havent even been paying their mortgages down. There is big, big trouble brewing here.

cant you see the oxymoron here.

owner occupiers don't own jack sh1t if they are not repaying the collateral.

they just occupy.

Edited by oracle

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I agree. For me, financial success looks rather like your view of it. For others, it is being able to demonstrate status through the acquisition of material possessions.

I suspect it's an evolutionary thing as apparently it cuts across cultures, countries etc - and it's probably a good thing that the population don't all think like the average HPCer too as I suspect our state of economic development would be rather lower than it currently is.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

There's the credit card spenders that run up debts they can't afford because 'I'm worth it'.

Then there's the thrifty buying secondhand when they could well afford new because they're 'not worth it'*

Two sides of the same low self-esteem coin.

*This is only talking about those who are relatively well off but thrift excessively (a lot probably won't perceive themselves as being well off though it is the reality). I'm not talking about people that have real budgetary constraints with responsibility for kids and need to watch their spending.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

£390 per month is more than a 25 year repayment London mortgage used to be just before the turn of the century.....anyway it is not what it costs to buy it is the cost to maintain, drive and service.....£390 for a car each month is still far too much to pay...having a shiny car is having a liability in more ways than one.....tells you quite a lot about someone......having a reliable, comfortable and cheap to run or no car at all, now that is something quite different. ;)

Noted, i am in the market for a (new) car and have been wresting in my mind about New, second hand, or cheap like Dacia.

My present car is 10 years old and lots of things are starting to need fixing.

HOLA4425

Noted, i am in the market for a (new) car and have been wresting in my mind about New, second hand, or cheap like Dacia.

My present car is 10 years old and lots of things are starting to need fixing.

Be sure to google for Dacia rust problems, I know it has been an issue for some models at certain points. Might be sorted now but if buying used you could obviously still be affected.