House Price Crash Forum

High Blood Pressure

Steppenpig

HOLA441

As I understand it the only issue with salt is that it raises your blood pressure, and higher blood pressure is considered to be a risk factor for stroke.

I've always eaten loads of salt, people's eyes bulge in shock the first time they see me put salt on any potato based food. Always had blood pressure on the low edge of the normal range though.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I've always eaten loads of salt, people's eyes bulge in shock the first time they see me put salt on any potato based food. Always had blood pressure on the low edge of the normal range though.

Salt is one of those things vwe`ve all been conditioned to think is bad for us. In reality I think it can be bad for some people to have too much, some others don`t need to worry about it too much, and some people would benefit from consuming more. I was definitely the last sort :)

HOLA443

Your body may have a problem storing sodium. Was a case in (iirc) the 50's. Boy about 9yo, huge desire for salt. He had to be hospitalised for an unrelated matter. His salt intake was restricted and the poor boy died from lack of sodium.

Can't find the article now but it seems a decent % of doctors won't take any pills at all, not even aspirin.

Here's a link to what some doctors think of conventional medical wisdom':

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/what-doctors-wont-do-take-1560972

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest TheBlueCat

As far as I am aware, the only evidence about salt and blood pressure stems from the observations that in communities accross the world there is a good correlation between salt intake and blood pressure.

Now this may sound pretty convincing, yet they don't seem to be able to find any evidence that an individual changing his salt intake affects his personal blood pressure.

The salt/blood pressure thing is interesting. As you say, the evidence appears somewhat less than perfect but, I guess, since there's no evidence at all that cutting back on salt is bad for you and some evidence that eating too much might be bad for some people, it makes sense to encourage everyone to eat less of it. Due to having some heart problems - now fixed glad to say - I've taken a lot of interest in my own blood pressure and tried a few experiments to see what, if anything impacts my own. Changing from a normal (i.e. don't bother checking salt content of anything) diet to a low sodium diet (a real pain if you ever eat out of the house) made no difference for me, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work for you of course.

HOLA447

Nothing wrong with salt per sey.....it is just another substance where it can become unhealthy, a substance where the more you take the more you may need (for flavour), for those with addictive tendances...there are lots around not only in the food area.

Could do a long list:....salt, hot spicy foods, alcohol, caffine, sugar etc....outside foods: drugs, smoking, sex, betting, shopping....even exercise overdoing it will create an impact on bones knees, hips, feet in later years.

The answer is to eat everything in moderation ( or you will require more of the same for the high, the good feeling), excess of anything can and will create compounded unhealthy problems. ;)

HOLA448

Nothing wrong with salt per sey.....it is just another substance where it can become unhealthy, a substance where the more you take the more you may need (for flavour), for those with addictive tendances...there are lots around not only in the food area.

Could do a long list:....salt, hot spicy foods, alcohol, caffine, sugar etc....outside foods: drugs, smoking, sex, betting, shopping....even exercise overdoing it will create an impact on bones knees, hips, feet in later years.

The answer is to eat everything in moderation ( or you will require more of the same for the high, the good feeling), excess of anything can and will create compounded unhealthy problems. ;)

But I like pickled onions! I eat the whole jar, and then drink the vinegar! :o

HOLA449
HOLA4410

During the stroke, mine was 220/110. I didn't explode!

Are you sure your girdle wasn't just a little too tight?

But seriously, do you actually mean "during" ? Do you know what it normally was, or just before and after ?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

How big was the jar?.....no need to drink it raw, sprinkle it on your fish and chip. ;)

One Gallon! My mate Pete can do five!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

My mate can do many things....I prefer to look not touch, but we both have just a good a time enjoying one or for some quite a few of the other. ;)

Go on, have a pickle! :mellow:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I don`t think they`re too worried once you`ve had a stroke, they`re more worried about whether or not your brain fills with blood.

Btw bossybabe, what kind of stroke did you have?

There was an interesting article on Andrew Marr's stroke yesterday. Apparently he missed two signs that he was heading for a stroke.

HOLA4418

There was an interesting article on Andrew Marr's stroke yesterday. Apparently he missed two signs that he was heading for a stroke.

What were they?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Update: well, my blood pressure actually continued to get even higher. I think the highest I measured it at was something like 180/115, but probably typically 165/105. (To recall, my bp had been around 145/95 for the past 20 years, before starting to increase about a year ago)

Until last weekend, when I had a bit of a funny turn (heart attack like symptoms) during which I measured my bp at 110/66 at its lowest, and in the week since, it has been consistently in the normal range, 125/75 to 130/80.

My heart rate has also reduced a little. It was always quite low, mid 50s resting, but I have measured it a few times at under 50.

According to google, a sudden drop in bp is probably something I should seek immediate medical advice about, but the funny thing is, if i didn't tell the doctor my history (or if I hadn't been self measuring), they would actually assume I was really healthy fellow.

I feel fine, btw, much as before. I've even skated a couple of marathon training sessions, with only "the usual" after effects.

I'm hoping it's a medical miracle, rather than a portent of imminent sudden death.

Funny turn = TIA? You should probably tell your doctor, cos if it's a TIA [mini-stroke] you are much more susceptible to a major stroke. In the new last week, they were advising people who had funny turns to call an ambulance! Not sure the ambulance service would agree! :unsure:

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

It is. Very. :(

You don't seem like someone who "can't get words out"!

I usually have the opposite problem.

Archived