House Price Crash Forum

High Blood Pressure

Steppenpig

HOLA441

This seems to be a few months old, but i must have missed it.

http://www.escardio.org/guidelines-surveys/esc-guidelines/GuidelinesDocuments/Web_EM_Hypertension_2013.pdf

Anyway, was listening to a doctory chap talking about it on the radio, and got the impression that, if you're young and healthy, then bp up to 160/100 isn't too much to worry about (the pdf says it is "low risk" and should be treated with lifestyle changes, but doesn't specify what to do if you already have a healthy lifestyle). Also, the chap said that it might be better not giving medication to the elderly, as the side effects can include dizziness, resulting in falls, or patients staying in bed.

Good news for me, as mine is around 155/100.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

This seems to be a few months old, but i must have missed it.

http://www.escardio.org/guidelines-surveys/esc-guidelines/GuidelinesDocuments/Web_EM_Hypertension_2013.pdf

Anyway, was listening to a doctory chap talking about it on the radio, and got the impression that, if you're young and healthy, then bp up to 160/100 isn't too much to worry about (the pdf says it is "low risk" and should be treated with lifestyle changes, but doesn't specify what to do if you already have a healthy lifestyle). Also, the chap said that it might be better not giving medication to the elderly, as the side effects can include dizziness, resulting in falls, or patients staying in bed.

Good news for me, as mine is around 155/100.

There isn't much good news in that figure of 155/100.

Try the 5:2 fasting diet, I was 148/95 and am now 125/85

HOLA443

That's a bit high, as mine is, but I''ll not be shitting myself yet! I had all the bloody tests once. Cholesterol, sugar, and wee tests! I am reasonably light weight, but realise I am no athlete! ;) I probably should move around a bit more!

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Always take loads of readings at various times. Make sure you are relaxed and try to empty your mind (and bladder) before doing it.

Mine can vary wildly depending. To prove the point i just did a few in quick succession. My first is always the highest by a good way.

137-73

120-63

119-65

119-64

114-65

111-61

115-59

So taking away upper And lower ones - average is 117-63

Apparently when younger its the lower number that's most important. Once older its the upper number. And once very old its the difference between the two that's most important. (think its called pulse pressure?)

Anyway i would check on that as its just from memory.

HOLA448

Exactly.

But 160/100 is too high and requires action, no getting away from that.

Plenty of ways of avoiding nasty meds for most people.

Don't worry the bloke !!

His numbers could be way way lower than that if done differently.

I once did mine at work with people all around (one burd was pretty hot) - mine was up about 170 or something mental :lol:

HOLA449

Mine was at 160 over 105 until I had a stroke last March. All in all it was worth it, not least because I don`t have to work!

It`s really quite a trip and I`ve learnt at lot about how the brain works and that your brain can rebuild itself.

Now at 125 over 85 with drugs...but I`m sure this can be brought down.(Possibly to 130 over 90 without drugs)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Here's a man with an interesting viewpoint on blood pressure and statins and all that jazz. Well worth perusal. The old rule rules: 100 + your age.

http://www.spacedoc.com/blood_pressure_heart_disease.htm

Duane Graveline MD MPH

Former USAF Flight Surgeon

Former NASA Astronaut

Retired Family Doctor

Very interesting.

Blood pressure when older gets higher - when you get older you are more likely to die = all 'high' blood pressure above an arbitrary number is bad.

I can see why he is a bit cynical.

• 5 months later...
HOLA4412

Update: well, my blood pressure actually continued to get even higher. I think the highest I measured it at was something like 180/115, but probably typically 165/105. (To recall, my bp had been around 145/95 for the past 20 years, before starting to increase about a year ago)

Until last weekend, when I had a bit of a funny turn (heart attack like symptoms) during which I measured my bp at 110/66 at its lowest, and in the week since, it has been consistently in the normal range, 125/75 to 130/80.

My heart rate has also reduced a little. It was always quite low, mid 50s resting, but I have measured it a few times at under 50.

According to google, a sudden drop in bp is probably something I should seek immediate medical advice about, but the funny thing is, if i didn't tell the doctor my history (or if I hadn't been self measuring), they would actually assume I was really healthy fellow.

I feel fine, btw, much as before. I've even skated a couple of marathon training sessions, with only "the usual" after effects.

I'm hoping it's a medical miracle, rather than a portent of imminent sudden death.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Here's a man with an interesting viewpoint on blood pressure and statins and all that jazz. Well worth perusal. The old rule rules: 100 + your age.

http://www.spacedoc.com/blood_pressure_heart_disease.htm

Duane Graveline MD MPH

Former USAF Flight Surgeon

Former NASA Astronaut

Retired Family Doctor

Seems sensible. I've had some concerns about my blood pressure since the gym I was thinking about joining told me I needed a note from my doctor to confirm he thought I was fit enough. The reading they took was on their borderline for acceptance, 160/100 IIRC. Well I had access to a blood pressure monitor, don't ask why its a long, long story. I had to visit my GP last week and mentioned it. It was a concern because I know for a fact that every relative of mine from my father and his predecedents all died when their hearts stopped.

Anyway I've been taking my blood pressure twice a day for a couple of weeks now. Its usually around 155/95, sometimes higher, sometimes lower. Its always much lower after my twice weekly martial arts sessions.

I've got to go back next week for an ECG and take my blood pressure readings. They don't think there's any cause for concern but I had read that readings over 150 ish were indicative of hypertension, whatever that is. The rule of thumb that 100 + your age is comforting. Perhaps knowing that will make my blood pressure drop.

HOLA4416

Big pig.....

Please read my post number No 9.

Sounds like you`ve had a `mini stroke` to me.

At least go the doctor and get drugged up but then make a serious effort to get your BP down yourself.

My BP is down to 108 over 67 now by doing fasting at 1.5 days a week.

Do you have any right/left side weakness?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Don't even check mine but drink a lot of beetroot juice, love the stuff and its proven to keep it down.

It didn't work on it's own for me, only the fasting worked.

I still drink it as it helps my digestion but it's odd, at first I liked it, now I find it sickly and have to gulp it down quickly.

Where do you get it in the UK? A mate of mine wanted to try it as his guts aren't brilliant but didn't know where to get it.

HOLA4419

It didn't work on it's own for me, only the fasting worked.

I still drink it as it helps my digestion but it's odd, at first I liked it, now I find it sickly and have to gulp it down quickly.

Where do you get it in the UK? A mate of mine wanted to try it as his guts aren't brilliant but didn't know where to get it.

Tesco James White brand organic beetroot juice £2.99 delicious!

HOLA4420

I should warn you all that a stroke can leave feeling like you`ve consumed alcohol, part of your brain may shut off leaving you with a `happy` feeling.

Blood spreads around your brain and then you die.

A hemorrhagic stroke (85 to 90% percent chance of death) is what I had.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Thanks for the concern, and I will get round to checking in with my gp soon, but I just know I will tell him the backround, and he will say:

"so you had a funny turn?"

"yes"

"and now you feel better?"

"yes"

"well, come back if it happens again"

Sounds like you`ve had a `mini stroke` to me.

At least go the doctor and get drugged up but then make a serious effort to get your BP down yourself.

My BP is down to 108 over 67 now by doing fasting at 1.5 days a week.

Do you have any right/left side weakness?

I don't think so. No confusion, no dizziness, no weakness, no drunkenness feeling, no lop-sidedness.

I quite rapidly, in the space of 30 mins to an hour started feeling quite ill (but not nauseous), had fever/chills, was shaking/shivering so much I couldn't write. Felt like I had swallowed a big box that had got stuck in my chest, pain/tingling in arms, bp collapsed, pulse racing.

I don't want to overexaggerate it, as lots of things can cause funny turns, maybe it was some toxic mould on the walnuts I was eating. I actually cycled home, including stopping to buy 4 litres of orange juice (normal strategy when I'm sick). It did hurt my arms a bit though. I had to cycle one handed and keep swapping them over.

HOLA4424

Thanks for the concern, and I will get round to checking in with my gp soon, but I just know I will tell him the backround, and he will say:

"so you had a funny turn?"

"yes"

"and now you feel better?"

"yes"

"well, come back if it happens again"

True.

Preventative care is pretty much non-existent in the UK.

It is extremely odd that your BP has gone from a potentially dangerous level to an apparently healthy level in such a short time though.

HOLA4425

True.

Preventative care is pretty much non-existent in the UK.

It is extremely odd that your BP has gone from a potentially dangerous level to an apparently healthy level in such a short time though.

If you're stressed or annoyed about something your BP could be high as a result.

Many years ago, I picked up a very painful ear infection in The States whilst driving from Florida to NY. Stopped off at a hospital to get some antibiotics and they insisted in doing a barrage of tests, which annoyed me, consequently my BP was sky high. I thought I'd have to engage a lawyer to get out of there but ended up signing release forms and went on my way with the antibiotics.

Years later, I hurt my arm and went to see the GP to see if it was broken (it wasn't). Annoyingly he was more interested in giving me a booster tetanus shot, which I declined. I let him take my BP and it was very high. He said to come back the following week for another BP check but I didn't bother.

Some years later, I took up flying and had to have regular CAA medicals, including BP and ECG, and never had a problem. The last one I had, the Aviation Medical Examiner said "Like it"!

Archived