House Price Crash Forum

Ruddy Nimbys...this Is What It Boils Down To..

HOLA441

Creative sign they've made there. Seen some really creative ones on photographs of the anti-fracking demonstrations, with a lot more style, such as hipster 60s scooby-doo fonts. That wouldn't work for the nimbys sign, but theirs just says they're used to putting little effort in, having it cosy, and don't want anything affecting their HPI gains.

Few stories I've read about planning suggests homeowners don't have a right to a view.

I suspect the marker pens for the sign came from Poundland, served by staff sent from the Jobcentre

HOLA442
HOLA443

There's no harm in them making their objections known but it's more than likely that they'll be completely ignored unless they have some special influence. Once there are rulings allowing developments on previously restricted areas then there's not much most people can do apart from voice and and write to object. If they're lucky they might get an official hearing to delay things a bit.

The problem goes deeper than a few people airing their protests.

With the current setup and system the building of the 35 extra homes is unlikely to result in cheaper housing or a house price crash if that's what's hoped. They're more likely to be priced higher and result in a hike in the prices of the existing houses.

Edited by billybong

HOLA444
HOLA445

Why do you ridicule them they may rent it.....would it make a difference to you if they were buying it or had bought it. ;)

Unlikely to complain if they are renters. As short term renters they would be treated as scum of the earth by the home owners of the street. Social pariahs unable to 'put down roots' and 'get on with their lives.'

They can build what they like near me, because if I don't like it I can always give notice and move on.

God I am getting bitter hanging out on this forum. I love it! :lol:

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA446

Unlikely to complain if they are renters. As short term renters they would be treated as scum of the earth by the home owners of the street. Social pariahs unable to 'put down roots' and 'get on with their lives.'

They can build what they like near me, because if I don't like it I can always give notice and move on.

God I am getting bitter hanging out on this forum. I love it! :lol:

Calm down dear. ;)

• 2 months later...
HOLA447

http://www.westernga...tail/story.html

5216259.jpg

More than 30 Milborne Port residents attended a town council meeting after it emerged the Wheathill Garden Centre, on Wheathill Lane, could be demolished if plans to build 35 homes are approved.

Area East Committee

11 September 2013

Objections

The issues raised by local residents have all been considered in assessing the appropriateness of the proposal, mostly deal with above. The following particular additional comments are offered:

Views: are not protected in planning legislation

...Conclusion

The proposal represents development of a previously, partially developed site immediately adjacent to the settlement development limits and existing dwellinghouses, which, in the absence of an adequate five-year housing land supply, would make a significant contribution to meeting the housing needs of the District and the local community. The design of an appropriate detailed scheme for 35 houses on the site is

considered practicable without causing any harm to the setting or residential amenity. No relevant material considerations have been raised that would indicate a refusal of the proposal. It is accordingly recommended for approval subject to conditions.

[PDF link: http://www.southsome...84989/02559.pdf

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Don't get me started again talking about my mother who keeps saying that I have it much easier than she ever did. (Living in a house worth half a million(ish) while only working low paid jobs (wile also taking off 18 or so years to bring us up) I can't wait to get a low paid job so I can have what she has.

Oh wait, I do have a low paid job....... now why can't I afford a massive house?

The code that unlocks whether that valuation is accurate is hidden in your post.

HOLA4413

So, they are happy with mismatched fencing, an ugly shed, and a scrubby garden as their main view, but horrified about losing the view of some of the fields beyond..

I could *swear* this is something that people do on a purely instinctive basis.

The worst thing I find is that these people automatically assume that they are speaking for everyone and that no right thinking person could possibly be in favour of housebuilding anywhere, without bothering to ask..

Bottom line is that their asking prices are screwed whatever happens now. Should have rented, or bought somewhere that you could sell quickly no matter what planning etc. was in the pipeline

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I lived in a south cambridgshire village for a good many years that was full of very go getting affluent people..

The one thing that used to(and still does) annoy the hell out of me was the hypocrisy of many of them. I knew so many people that owned multi properties around Cambridge, Newmarket and Saffron Walden towns on a multiple occupancy and individual basis, and they never gave a hoot to who was renting them and what they were contributing to the community as long as they got there rent.

Then every night they returned to their lovely leafy little traditional villages where it felt like only weeks would pass and they would be down the village hall protesting about this that and the other, Memorable events while I was there was a Tesco project between Whittlesford and Linton somewhere, a wind farm/s of course, and endless afforable home projects that were scuppered constantly.

These people were more than happy to turn our cities and towns into expensive costing ghettos with little soul, but you as much put the wrong kind of windows in or street plant pot and they will turn on you.

p.s Just an off topic opinion of mine, but I happen to think wind turbines look amazing and quite attractive in their own funny way.

Got that problem here. And Honley and Brockholes are industrial villages. The Holme Valley with is picture postcard 'last of the summer wine' pretty is remarkably industrial. Indeed the villages would never have existed without industry.

http://preservehonle...ng-application/

Whats that lurking in the tree's. Oh its the boomer /NIMBY houses..

PHAB-header-photo-3.png

There is an intellectually dishonesty about all the opposition. For instance they have portrayed the A616 as a dangerously fast '40mph' road. Its actually one of the better cycling routes cycled it today in fact). Also that this development is too far from Honley, so people will require people to use their cars, thus putting more pressure on the village and car parking. In fact its about a mile and very walkable (along the Holme Valley walking route in fact). Pathetic.

The only problem I have with the development is that there is no self build of course, and what gets built is ludicrously expensive, all the executive detached 3/4 bed boomer type Mc Mansions (so that people can stay the weekends of course).

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA4416

You can be certain that it is the evil old bint in the pink top - I have seen here kind before.

I think the rest would be happy to settle for someone to send around the chip van.

Well, you're pretty vile, as well. You have a collective, if negative, point, which would have been better made if you weren't speaking from the sewer yourselves. Elevate your comments to something more productive.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Good grief, there's a lot a bile in this thread.

Of course established residents are going to complain about new proposals, they always will. Many people simply do not like change no matter what is involved. A couple of years after the properties are built and the gardens have got going and softened the landscape again, everyone will be happy as the situation will have stabilized again.

Some, especially younger people, thrive on change but many do not.

You will be old one day too.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Good grief, there's a lot a bile in this thread.

Of course established residents are going to complain about new proposals, they always will. Many people simply do not like change no matter what is involved. A couple of years after the properties are built and the gardens have got going and softened the landscape again, everyone will be happy as the situation will have stabilized again.

Some, especially younger people, thrive on change but many do not.

You will be old one day too.

It's got nothing to do with being old, the elderly have not traditionally opposed house building

But other landowners have

Nimbyism is an expression of the financial status quo, not of old age