House Price Crash Forum

The Ultimate Boomer

HOLA441

Has house, has savings, but doesnt like the idea of having to pay council tax. Didnt have any children who would contribute to her generations pensions.

Why not? Free bus passes, free tv license, a cheque from the govt each month for still having a pulse, may as well have free council services too.

Daily mail puke fest here

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article-2034499/Council-tax-June-Farrows-jail-pay.html

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

They should just put a charge against the house and get the money when she dies.

They would cover the bill anyway if she spent her savings. I can understand why she wants to hold onto that £16,000 nest egg.

HOLA445
HOLA446

I agree with her.The local council charges in the UK are ridiculous.Why should she pay 75% of what a house with 4 working adults pays?.Why should she pay for people to have 2 months full sick pay every year and huge gold plated pensions?.

Council tax should be around £30 a month.Its just another swindle in a long list of them.

HOLA447

I agrre re the services she receives.

However, at the end of the day, she should be taxed for the unearned gains from owning property.

1. Improvements by other people

2. Increases in the money supply ( house prices are leveraged to this).

3. Increases in demand from population increases (if workers need to move into an area, we need a financial incentive for people to relinquish ownership - harsh but efficient ;))

She hasn't really gained anything. 50 years ago she had a house she has sill got one house. where is the gain.

I think the main reasons I am on her side is.

1) I think the £16,000 limit is too low it should be £1,000 x age.

2) there should be a descent government equity release scheme that allows pensioners to access there capital without the worry of being thrown out of your house because of some small print of a private one.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Has house, has savings, but doesnt like the idea of having to pay council tax. Didnt have any children who would contribute to her generations pensions.

Why not? Free bus passes, free tv license, a cheque from the govt each month for still having a pulse, may as well have free council services too.

Daily mail puke fest here

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article-2034499/Council-tax-June-Farrows-jail-pay.html

But puke fest in this thread here too - why should anyone wish to pay council tax so the parasites in the council can put even more money in their pensions?

HOLA4410
Why should she pay 75% of what a house with 4 working adults pays?

Ah the HPC bleeding hearts are out again with their constant whine.

It's a 2011 article and sure it ran here at the time.

‘The system blatantly favours homes where several adults live, especially those in multiple occupation with four, five or more residents. They each pay only a fraction of what I do.

You really think many young adults are sharing rentals and in HMOs by choice, laughing it up? Whilst she's swanning around playing the victim in a huge detached house, ideal for a family who would also have to pay full council tax. Or 75% as well if their partner dies.

In a house where land and build worth fortunes more than she originally paid.

and managed to save £450 to buy a four-acre plot in the village of Bawburgh just outside Norwich in 1960.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Community charge was better than the current system - people refused to pay that and made it unworkable.

As I've looked into it, the ones most against it were younger non home owners. 18 years old and hit by a bill for £400ish, when some elderly woman in a 4-bed detached house she bought for next-to-nothing has only to pay £400ish as well.

Big fancy house = pay more. Not equalised on non home-owners sharing in rentals, hoping for house prices to come down, or those with smaller lower-value homes.

HOLA4413

I agree with her.The local council charges in the UK are ridiculous.Why should she pay 75% of what a house with 4 working adults pays?.Why should she pay for people to have 2 months full sick pay every year and huge gold plated pensions?.

Council tax should be around £30 a month.Its just another swindle in a long list of them.

I agree actually.

Council Tax in the UK is another massive Elephant in the Room. It is daylight robbery. An absolute scandal.

HOLA4414

the thing is 50% of the council tax was based on the value of the house (i.e. similar to the old rates system) and assuming 2 adults in the household represented the other 50% of the charge. Hence the 25% discount for a single person (regardless of age by the way) - also note that those households with non-countable adults (i.e. university students, the disabled etc) also ge the 25% off.

I do think council tax is iniquitous - it is the largest single bill (more than heating/utilities etc) for many single people (not just pensioners) and of course those who pay it, pay for those who don't as well as the council employees pensions.

for accuracy - she would not get a free TV licence (need to be 75 for that)

interesting quote from the article that 53% of single pensioners have an income of less that 10K a year - and the £200 a year winter fuel payment and a bus pass (to be used off peak) makes them rich greedy boomers!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Ah the HPC bleeding hearts are out again with their constant whine.

It's a 2011 article and sure it ran here at the time.

You really think many young adults are sharing rentals and in HMOs by choice, laughing it up? Whilst she's swanning around playing the victim in a huge detached house, ideal for a family who would also have to pay full council tax. Or 75% as well if their partner dies.

In a house where land and build worth fortunes more than she originally paid.

I am ok with a £30 per month per head poll tax to replace council taxes..

HOLA4417

As I've looked into it, the ones most against it were younger non home owners. 18 years old and hit by a bill for £400ish, when some elderly woman in a 4-bed detached house she bought for next-to-nothing has only to pay £400ish as well.

Big fancy house = pay more. Not equalised on non home-owners sharing in rentals, hoping for house prices to come down, or those with smaller lower-value homes.

I was a younger non-home-owner, and benefited from the community charge.

Before it, we had the Rates. Not so bad in principle, but had reached the point where my 1-bed rented flat was costing twice as much as my colleagues nearby were paying for 3- and 4-bed houses.

HOLA4418

Wouldn't like to criticise this lady too much, she is clearly slim, fit, and not relying on supplementary pension top ups, housing benefit and disability like many of her age.

However, for many young people, having just shy of a 10K income and a mortgage free home worth 250K would be dreamland. In her position would be a bit embarrassed complaining.....I suppose if you included imputed rent her real income would be about 20K tax free.

HOLA4419

interesting quote from the article that 53% of single pensioners have an income of less that 10K a year - and the £200 a year winter fuel payment and a bus pass (to be used off peak) makes them rich greedy boomers!

If you have no mortgage or rent to pay then £10k for a couple makes you rich.

At least, a lot richer than you were while paying a mortgage and bringing up a family. That's approximately my parents' situation: substantially richer on basic state pension than when bringing us up.

HOLA4420

Common sense has prevailed.

How ever the best out come would have been for the council to have granted planning permission for four more houses on her four acre site. And she could watch young couples building their own houses like her and her husband did years ago.

HOLA4421

If you look at the single persons discount from the councils point of view: their aim is to extract the most money they can from everyone, fairness be damned.

Lets imagine for a minute that there was no single person discount at all and everyone had to pay the full amount - that would put a limit on what council tax could be charged based on the affordability of a single income. Not only would rates for single people have to be lower to make them affordable, but families would all be paying that lower rate too. The total tax take would have to fall significantly.

A 25% discount can equally be thought of as a 25% surcharge for houses with more than one person.

So lets say the govt did increase the discount to 50%, all that would happen is that single people would continue paying about the same and families would be the ones seeing an increase. When you think about this there is an argument that the single persons discount should be removed as a method of capping councils excessive spending.

HOLA4422

I seem to recall the poll tax protests by baby boomers because it would cost families more, presumably now they want poll tax back because it would be cheaper for small households in big houses

HOLA4423

I'm betting she is the sort of pensioner who sees some of her peers getting rent and council tax paid and minimum income guarantee top ups and disability benefits. Meanwhile she is probably contributions based pension only and that is being further undermined by council tax.

The biggest benefits accrue to those that didn't contribute.

Doesn't alter the fact she is still in a more favourable financial position than most of the UK population.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4424

Interesting decision by council. What's to stop everyone else opening a tab too? If she lives to be 80, as might be expected, that's quite a cash call on council resources to fund the difference until she pegs it.

I'm in no way defending council largesse btw.

HOLA4425

Interesting decision by council. What's to stop everyone else opening a tab too? If she lives to be 80, as might be expected, that's quite a cash call on council resources to fund the difference until she pegs it.

I'm in no way defending council largesse btw.

Acuarial tables says she's got 16.33 years left, a pessimistic 80.