House Price Crash Forum

Potash Mine Under National Park Will Make Yorkshire Farmers Millionaires

interestrateripoff

HOLA441

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jan/31/potash-mining-yorkshire

Dozens of Yorkshire farmers are on the verge of becoming millionaires thanks to a 250m-year-old layer of minerals a mile below their muddy boots.

Chris Fraser, a former investment banker, has submitted a planning application to mine the world's largest deposit of potash, a powerful fertiliser, in an ancient seabed deep below the North York Moors national park.

Fraser, who has been planning the mine for a decade, said exploratory boreholes showed the moors held "the world's largest and highest-quality resource of polyhalite", a mineral-rich form of potash.

If the planning application, which is supported by the local council and all neighbouring MPs, is approved by North York Moors national park authority, it will lead to the construction of the biggest British mine in a generation and create 1,000 jobs.

A driving force for a Yorkshire economic recovery?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I thought landowners rights went down a foot or so...not deep to the core of the Earth.

Not so. Al Fayed sued an oil company for trespass and the judgment commented: if property rights continued down as far as the core of the earth, landowners would all have a “lot of neighbours“. But anything practical is fair game. The Crown has lots of reserved rights over coal and oil at least.

HOLA445
HOLA446

So let me get this right:

1, It's ok to build a fekin great mine in a national park.

2, It's not ok to build a well planned housing estate of say 50 detached houses in such an area.

How is this justifiable?

Don't worry. There are loads of retired/semi retired NIMBY's fighting the potash mine. ;)

But their houses have already been built in the National Park you see.

Edited by Secure Tenant

HOLA447

Don't worry. There are loads of retired/semi retired NIMBY's fighting the potash mine. ;)

But their houses have already been built in the National Park you see.

We should just have the local NIMBYs stuffed and mounted in their own aspic-preserved houses. It's basically what they want.

HOLA448

Why do the benefits of this good geological fortune accrue to an investment banker and not the good people of Yorkshire or indeed added to the UK's sovereign wealth fund along with our North Sea oil reserves?

Frack Lancashire

Irradiate Cumbria

Fertilise Yorshire

At least there's some sort of plan for the North

HOLA449

We should just have the local NIMBYs stuffed and mounted in their own aspic-preserved houses. It's basically what they want.

We've got this in Huddersfield too. First a development of 300 houses and a campus including a data centre on Lindley Moor and 700 houses in a field near Ainley Top. The whole area slightly blighted by the nearby M62.

However these were the fields that the boomers played in and must be preserved for ever, for the boomer children .Slightly ignoring the fact that its all private land, belonging to a land owner. They wouldn't want other children playing in their garden of course.

There is housing already up there of course, but that was built post war and is somehow magically exempt, as is the M62 which allows them to get to work, go to Blackpool, and allow them to shop in Leeds in Manchester relitively easily.

HOLA4410

We've got this in Huddersfield too. First a development of 300 houses and a campus including a data centre on Lindley Moor and 700 houses in a field near Ainley Top. The whole area slightly blighted by the nearby M62.

However these were the fields that the boomers played in and must be preserved for ever, for the boomer children .Slightly ignoring the fact that its all private land, belonging to a land owner. They wouldn't want other children playing in their garden of course.

There is housing already up there of course, but that was built post war and is somehow magically exempt, as is the M62 which allows them to get to work, go to Blackpool, and allow them to shop in Leeds in Manchester relitively easily.

I think IKEA round the back of Elland Rd should be a listed shed. I marvel at it's architectural beauty every time I have the misfortune to use the M62.

p.s. IS there any way from the Picturedrome in Holmfirth back into Mcr by public transport after a gig? as an alternative to driving over from the Woodhead (want to drink)

Edited by R K

HOLA4411

We get the local paper, and I swear that every single edition has a photo of an overweight, self-important-faced boomer next to a field, alongside an article going on about 'local residents opposing yet another housing plan'. Strangely, I've never been asked a question on the subject. Clearly these people can read minds.

We've also had people claiming that fracking under the mendips nearby would somehow trigger a volcano.

I'd like my kids to be able to buy a house, and although I'm not 100% sold on fracking I don't like idiots..

HOLA4412

We get the local paper, and I swear that every single edition has a photo of an overweight, self-important-faced boomer next to a field, alongside an article going on about 'local residents opposing yet another housing plan'. Strangely, I've never been asked a question on the subject. Clearly these people can read minds.

We've also had people claiming that fracking under the mendips nearby would somehow trigger a volcano.

I'd like my kids to be able to buy a house, and although I'm not 100% sold on fracking I don't like idiots..

sounds to me that everything is being left to boomers to get things done.

HOLA4413

Every second story in my local paper is something to do with NIMBY's planning permission or housing development.

So much so that last week they devoted an entire front page and made a big issue of the pros and cons of further development.

Thy should just change its name to The NIMBY Times or The Planning Times IMO, because they don't see to talk about anything else.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

But we've been told we can't dig the peat up off the moors for conservation reasons, so why is this different?

Potash stuffed below the surface has no ecological effect whatsoever.

These boys get gifted land a lot of the time handed down through families. You just need to be born into the right family.

And the right family probably isn't the farmers. Mineral rights often seem to have stayed with the old feudal landlord even when the surface rights were sold off; I'd be surprised if many farmers get anything from this unless they are leasing or selling land for surface facilities.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Potash stuffed below the surface has no ecological effect whatsoever.

And the right family probably isn't the farmers. Mineral rights often seem to have stayed with the old feudal landlord even when the surface rights were sold off; I'd be surprised if many farmers get anything from this unless they are leasing or selling land for surface facilities.

So you can get the potash out without disturbing the surface layers? Fantastic.

:)

HOLA4421

and.... WTF is potash?

I wondered when Siruis Minerals, or SXX as I know them would start getting more press. I've been invested in this lot since 10p a share and topping up ever since.

Potash is high grade fertiliser and they've discovered an enormous amount. Crops. Growing world population. You can''t eat gold. Say no more.

I am under no doubt whatsoever that planning permission will go through. Phase I happening at the moment.

HOLA4422

I'm local.

I have no object to the new mine.

The old one at Boulby is OK.

There was afuss a few years ago when there was talk of dumping nuclear waste in the old shafts.

The new one relies on Potash prices staying very high.

Sirius is a commodities boom play.

Boulby has been on the verge on closure numerous times because the energy required to process the Potash is very high.

Sirius does look like an attempt to extract money from investors rather than potash from the ground.

The 1000 jobs is total BS.

Mines are high capiatal/low labour companies.

This one more so - its going to pipe potash slush to Teesport and ship it to the middle east for processing.

Boubly does have a weak spot:

Transrail Dutch 56 049 heads along Hunts Cliff on empties returning to Boulby Mine

There's about 8 feet between the rail and the UK's highest cliffs.

HOLA4423

I wondered when Siruis Minerals, or SXX as I know them would start getting more press. I've been invested in this lot since 10p a share and topping up ever since.

Potash is high grade fertiliser and they've discovered an enormous amount. Crops. Growing world population. You can''t eat gold. Say no more.

I am under no doubt whatsoever that planning permission will go through. Phase I happening at the moment.

Where can I keep an eye on developments for this? As mining/processing will need electrical works there may be some good opportunities there.

HOLA4424

We sell Potash in the gardening section of the DIY store i work in. About 4 years ago it was 2.99 a kilogram. The next year we were selling it for 5.99. Some of the old boys almost fell over when I told them.

Thats the only reason these bankers are interested.

HOLA4425

I'm local.

I have no object to the new mine.

The old one at Boulby is OK.

There was afuss a few years ago when there was talk of dumping nuclear waste in the old shafts.

The new one relies on Potash prices staying very high.

Sirius is a commodities boom play.

Boulby has been on the verge on closure numerous times because the energy required to process the Potash is very high.

Sirius does look like an attempt to extract money from investors rather than potash from the ground.

The 1000 jobs is total BS.

Mines are high capiatal/low labour companies.

This one more so - its going to pipe potash slush to Teesport and ship it to the middle east for processing.

Boubly does have a weak spot:

http://www.flickr.co...one/5618492441/

There's about 8 feet between the rail and the UK's highest cliffs.

Interesting that you're local, I read some of the investor boards for Sirius/SXX and there's often a few local people giving their input and they have no objections either to the mine. I'm sure there will be a lot of objections though, ironically from Nimbys who live in houses built on an area of outstanding beauty. It is a commodities boom play, but that's the name of the game with investing and I've gone in with a relitively low stake, the amount of money that would hack me off to lose but not ruin my life, on the flip side if planning permission goes through then the return will be huge. Low stake, low potential loss - low stake, huge potential gain.

Edited by Starla