House Price Crash Forum

So Who Is Hitting The Sales?

200p

HOLA441

Here I am outside the 99p store, I've been waiting in line since midnight.

What wondrous reduced bargains could be inside??!!

"The British Retail Consortium (BRC) said high street spending was "acceptable but not exceptional" this festive period – blaming it poor accessibility to high streets and weak consumer demand rather than online shopping."

http://news.sky.com/story/1030167/boxing-day-sales-millions-of-shoppers-expected

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Handbags and shoes if your lucky.

Seems to always be a lot more Chinese and Asian shoppers who didn't get caught up in the whole Christmas expenditure, that will have remaining disposable income.

HOLA4412

Collected an item on behalf of someone else a couple of weeks ago. Lovely young Chinese couple, donating the item, with a lovely family house probably valued at £700K in this market. No idea if rented or not, or if minding the house for someone else. Many with income and capital, and good for them.

Got a graphics tablet and pen today in the sale (£40) at Amazon, saving £10, and £30 cheaper than most other outlets, for killing time at isketch.net and other doodling. Much better control than using a mouse.

Resorting to reality distraction therapy for what is likely to be yet another year of house values held at ridiculous heights, interest rates suppressed, and more anti-saver market cheating house price supporting QE. Whilst being asked with an unbelieving laugh by younger people who bought 5-8 years ago if I'm still wasting money renting. Their mortgage repayments way down, as they look at all the foreign holidays and spending treats in the year ahead. And another year of finding little respite at hpc from being told how bankers tricked victim borrowers and it's the medias'/parents' fault for encouraging them to buy, that they just wanted a home and to get on with life.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Not this year.

The things i want dont seem to be in the sales. You know, houses, sports cars etc. There's only so many crap dvds, consumer (un)durables and ill fitting poor quality clothes a man and his family need.

Quite.

I could do with a few extra empty plastic pop bottles to kit out an allotment I'm planting this year. So I might go out and treat myself later on.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Handbags and shoes if your lucky.

Seems to always be a lot more Chinese and Asian shoppers who didn't get caught up in the whole Christmas expenditure, that will have remaining disposable income.

Plus they are generally stupid enough to believe the hype about "bargains"

HOLA4420

Wasn't really a Sale as such, but because last night I'd foolishly allowed Mrs XYY to drink one of my bottles of Newcy Brown, I was forced to send her up the CO-OP to get me four more.

Imagine my delight when she phoned and said "Sorry to bother ya pet, but there's a turkey crown here that's gotta be cooked today and they only want seven quid for it. I've reckon I've got just enough money to get it for you if I get the bus back instead of a taxi, might even manage a box of Paxo if I get off two stops from home..."

God I love that woman...

XYY

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I'm surprised such large numbers of the general public who are so incensed about companies avoiding taxes all want to buy these "bargains". Surely they should have done their bit by buying items at full price before the sales, paying more VAT and allowing companies to make a higher profit margin, leading to higher corporation tax payments - tax avoiders the lot of them!!

HOLA4423

I hit the sales in Guildford this morning with Mrs Freefall. I bought two shirts I'd had my eye on - both at 50% off. The Mrs got a new top for £3.99 (reduced from 20 quid!) and an oven dish down from16 quid to 4. Only other thing we bought was new pillows for the spare room. It was like a ghost town - we were in and out in an hour (including trying clothes on).

Got home to see the news footage about queues - maybe in London, but not outside of the city as far as I could see.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425