House Price Crash Forum

Bought A Slendertone Today (Lol)

@contradevian

HOLA441

As per title. It was a charity shop purchase. Cost £2 though the batter cost more.

You attach electrodes over yourself and its supposed to "tone you up."

It does not burn fat obviously.

Anyone else tried one? Its a strange sensation to get use to. But do they do anything other than give you mild electric shocks?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

brilliant fun for drinking games.

put the pads round the "victims" arm/bicep. then switch it on and see what setting they can still drink at. or other variations on that concept. can be quite funny

Hmm. I've got an electric fence lying around somewhere...

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I think they do help tone you up but then again it gives result if done in conjunction with exercise and a healthy life style.

I have one and when I'm attempting to properly train it does seem to help, although I've no six pack from it ever..

"toning" is a myth though.

what people usually mean is they lose bodyfat, and so the muscle tone becomes more evident.

HOLA4411

"toning" is a myth though.

what people usually mean is they lose bodyfat, and so the muscle tone becomes more evident.

The electric shocks cause the muscles to twitch but I can't see how that replaces actually doing exercise.

HOLA4412

The electric shocks cause the muscles to twitch but I can't see how that replaces actually doing exercise.

Yeah, i suspect with no load involved it won't make any difference to the muscle?

afaik theress only two ways to have visible abs:

I have extremely thick abs from deadlifing 300kg and squatting 250kg, which means my abs are visible even when I'm fat (as I currently am :ph34r: but just twitching them constantly wouldn't thicken them.

The other way is to be extremely lean as in sub 10% bodyfat,

I'm pretty sure just twitching the muscle wouldn't help with either, but i could be wrong. I know these were banned in CA for making misleading claims as they couldn't prove they actually did anything, which isn't a good sign.

HOLA4413

....I have extremely thick abs from deadlifing 300kg and squatting 250kg, which means my abs are visible even when I'm fat (as I currently am :ph34r: but just twitching them constantly wouldn't thicken them.

Wow, 250kg squat - that's seriously impressive!.

I recently gave up BB-ing last year after c30 years (just started getting knee & shoulder probs as I approach my 50's). At my peak (6'-3" @ 240lbs) my three powerlifts (typically 4 rep sets) were only:-

(back)Squat = (knee wraps, ATG) 405lbs [c 184kilos)

Deadlift 485lbs = [c 220kilos]

Bench (chest & shoulders were always my strongest area) = 320lbs [c 145kilos]

Deadlifts never did much noticably for my ab development - great for back and especially very visible upper trapezius & the various neck muscles.

Over the years saw a lot of guys with good, visible abs & big bellies - but that's typically GH ;) .

As to OP's questions... IMHO these electrical muscle stimulants have little to no developmental benefit - the intensity of the contractions have to be, much, much harder and combined with sympathetic stimulation of surrounding sympathetic and antagonistic muscles & tendons.

HOLA4414

250kg? Not likely in my opinion. I see people do 130kg and the form is abysmal - it's a little shake of the backside, a lowering of the neck and back on the bar.

If it's not internet bullshitting, then you're right. That's seriously impressive.

Not to be dismissive of Mr Dangermaus, as 250kg is solid for sure, but it isn’t that massive and very achievable for someone serious.

I was running at 220kg (6-8*5’s, less at 12 reps) for years and I was never really much more than casual. I still squat 140kg (6-8*5) and I consider that I’ve quit. (Due a combination of injury and other priorities taking over recovery time) . Form is solid.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

As per title. It was a charity shop purchase. Cost £2 though the batter cost more.

You attach electrodes over yourself and its supposed to "tone you up."

It does not burn fat obviously.

Anyone else tried one? Its a strange sensation to get use to. But do they do anything other than give you mild electric shocks?

They're better for my back than "normal" abdominal exercises, so occasionally use the wife's slendertone.....

They work, sort of, if you crank them up to the max(it's quite painful), do other exercise to accompany it and restrict your diet in some way. All that will be gained is a little definition, most of which would probably have come with the diet and exercise anyway.

So not much point really.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Lots of fun to be had with the electrickery machine. - DO NOT TRY THIS! I Haven't ;-)

Human Voltmeter: hold your arm out to the side and let your forearm dangle down. Strap electrodes onto tricep and draw a scale on the wall - see if you maake a reliable voltmeter!

Drinking Games: as mentioned above - best use plastic glasses to avoid glassing yourself in the face!

Volt Gurning - Strap them onto different parts of your face - hillarious this - until someone bites their tongue off or has an ECT induced seizure!

I'm sure there room for experimentation in, ahem, other areas.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

The Slendertone guy came to see me about thirty years ago to see if my company was interest in manufacturing his products for him. After we had agreed that we were never going to get anywhere near an agreement on price, we chatted for an hour or so. His honest opinion of the efficacy of his products was refreshing :lol:.

HOLA4422

The Slendertone guy came to see me about thirty years ago to see if my company was interest in manufacturing his products for him. After we had agreed that we were never going to get anywhere near an agreement on price, we chatted for an hour or so. His honest opinion of the efficacy of his products was refreshing :lol:.

You should have straped up and volt-gurned at him for half an hour

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived