House Price Crash Forum

Lottery Winner Blows £12M On Two Properties

HOLA441

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4497146/The-Bridge-not-too-far-for-101m-Dave.html

They swapped their £70-a-week one-bed flat in Wisbech, Cambs, for a £9million mansion in Weybridge, Surrey.

But Chelsea fanatic Dave has also splashed out £3.5million on a flat in plush London’s Chelsea Harbour — close to the Blues’ Stamford Bridge home.

A pal said: “Dave is Chelsea mad and when he won he said he wanted to buy somewhere close to the ground so he could walk there on matchdays, have a few beers and walk home.”

A bargain buy for a few beers :)

Not sure I'd have blown £9m on a mansion, although I think I'd have been interested in that house in Nevada which was on here a few days ago.

Still they've got another £90m to blow...

HOLA442
HOLA443

Well they have already given 20 million away to friends and family. No doubt, some of these friends and family will get into money difficulties again after blowing the windfall, and need some more 'help'. If they stay together, they will not manage to spend all of their money. However, it can't be long before they realise that they could both go off with much better looking younger model. That is when the money will really start to leak away.

HOLA444

http://www.thesun.co...-101m-Dave.html

Not sure I'd have blown £9m on a mansion, although I think I'd have been interested in that house in Nevada which was on here a few days ago.

Just a shame that Chelski are planning to move to a new ground at Battersea Power Station. I suppose he can always expand his portfolio with another property there.

HOLA445

Well the guy is 48 and has 101 million to spend.

Assuming everything he spends money on becomes instantly worthless, he needs to spend at least 2 million a year, otherwise it is just wasted. - you can't really spend it when you're dead.

Would be such a hardship, lucky sod :)

HOLA446

There are only a few things that you can do with money when you have too much of it....bit of a headache, a responsibility, can upset too many people, lose good friends, create bad feeling, loss of privacy, sharks surround you....oh dear "be careful what you wish for" as they say. ;)

HOLA447

Assuming everything he spends money on becomes instantly worthless, he needs to spend at least 2 million a year, otherwise it is just wasted. - you can't really spend it when you're dead.

Given that the money he doesn't spend is accruing interest, then he more likely needs to spend £4million a year in order to spend it all by the time he's dead.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Given that the money he doesn't spend is accruing interest, then he more likely needs to spend £4million a year in order to spend it all by the time he's dead.

Yup, fail to spend enough and the damn stuff just keeps growing. Then add to that, half the stuff you buy with it goes up in value and still you haven't got rid of it all. It's a curse I tell ya.

HOLA4410

Was it not Carnegie who said that he who dies rich, dies disgraced?

Once it becomes clear that your fortune exceeds what you can ever spend, your thoughts can turn to legacy: hence the tradition of endowments, philanthropists, et al in which Carnegie himself was prominent. Not that £100m puts them in that league, unless they invest it successfully.

Are they young enough to have the energy to be building a business from scratch?

HOLA4411

Good luck to him – seems a little shallow in my view but each to their own. Will the relationship last? When a major purchase is ‘Great, I can enjoy more time at the footy’, it doesn’t give the impression of that strong of a bond in the first place, but who knows – she might like footy too!

HOLA4412

http://www.thesun.co...-101m-Dave.html

When does spending money become 'blowing' money? Will you 'blow' your money on a house when they become affordable? Seems tabloid language is rubbing off on people.

HOLA4413

Well at least they didn't spend it all on BTLs.

Let's see £150m debt free BTLs at £150K each, that's 150m/150K = 1000 BTLs

If each spewed off a low void rent of £500pcm (allow a few each year % for inflation linked rent increases) that's gross £500,000 per month (4%pa yield) they could spend for the rest of their lives, any many generations after them, as long as they never resell the assets, minus paying their taxes due, and allow for building repair and maintenance.

---

Edit, whoops I've not really followed this story too closely, I thought it was £150m - but you get the drift. The numbers are perfectly scalable.

Edited by MrTReturns

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

There are only a few things that you can do with money when you have too much of it....bit of a headache, a responsibility, can upset too many people, lose good friends, create bad feeling, loss of privacy, sharks surround you....oh dear "be careful what you wish for" as they say. ;)

Here in Hungary, lottery winners are never named or given any publicity, in case the Mafia goes after them. Of course, that could mean that nobody actually ever wins it! :lol:

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

They haven't got the billionaire mindset luckily. £100m is never enough.

You could buy a UK factory for £100m, offshore it, sell the land to Taylor Wimpey, and double your money. Keep doing it until:

1. You are a billionaire or a trillionaire

2. You run out of factories to buy

3. Home prices drop because you have added so much supply, and you can't do this no more

4. They can't drop interest rates no more or lengthen mortgage terms no more

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Doubtful, i'd guess you're out by about a factor of ten. Ironically if you have a very large amount of cash you'll struggle to get much interest at all, probably no more than 0.5% .

Check out the "maximum amounts" on all the savings accounts.

HOLA4423

Was it not Carnegie who said that he who dies rich, dies disgraced?

Once it becomes clear that your fortune exceeds what you can ever spend, your thoughts can turn to legacy: hence the tradition of endowments, philanthropists, et al in which Carnegie himself was prominent. Not that £100m puts them in that league, unless they invest it successfully.

Are they young enough to have the energy to be building a business from scratch?

On the Felix Dennis scale they have unexpectedly become "comfortably rich". They have zero chance of growing this wealth. They are exactly the wrong age (late 40s going on 50s given their hard life up to now) for this to change their lives in any moral or inspirational way... they will squander it, whether by giving it away to people who then squander it, by buying over-priced assets, tax leakage and/or by creating drama (probably by leaving each other for younger partners as mentioned above).

And what's up with their teeth?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Why do most lottery winners 'appear to be' ugly fat tossers, the type who shout in beer gardens and 'think' they are 'hard'?

Because that's about 9/10th's of the UKs adult population?

doesnt seem that way if you live in a middle class enclave, dine only at gastro pubs and shop only at M&S, but im afraid to say over the last 15 years, the UK has turned into some giant nature reserve for chavs, both native and third world.