House Price Crash Forum

Are Any Of The Long Time Bears Actually Looking For A House

TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA441

Yes, I'm using my STR fund to buy one of these at the weekend.

5073.jpg

A 500bhp Renault Magnum.

I'm going to live in it, rent and mortgage free and earn money with it travelling all around Europe pulling other peoples trailers. Win/win!

Blazon a monk on the drivers door with the words "Harry" under it so we can honk you on the M6 :D

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Takes a few months to feed through.

Its was pitched at 2004 levels and to be fair was a bargain compared to the shite I see people willing to accept a life of slavery. I have said on here before that anything set at 2004 levels sells and sells fast. So you have enough willing and able buyers, willing banks and hey presto a floor in prices.

That's the situation here in Birmingham. Very sad but that's it.

A floor at that level won`t survive the eurozone collapse, neither will many companies in Birmingham and elsewhere.

HOLA443

Watching everyday on Rm. Current prices are about 10-15% above what I am prepared to pay.

Most people refuse offers put in at this level below asking (area SE), so no deal. Stuff seems to be on the market for a long time though.

I expect that within 2 years either prices will fall to my purchase level or I will earn enough cash to not be bothered about paying the extra (although of course I would prefer not to), so I'm hitting the problem from both ends.

Keeping my powder dry by not hassling the agents or doing viewings, after all can get most info required from RM.

HOLA444

5073.jpg

A 500bhp Renault Magnum.

I'm going to live in it, rent and mortgage free and earn money with it travelling all around Europe pulling other peoples trailers. Win/win!

I wondered what the inside looked like. There's space to take a lodger....

Picture 5

http://www.thompsoncommercials.co.uk/usedsales.php?s=tractor-units&id=52#

HOLA445

A floor at that level won`t survive the eurozone collapse, neither will many companies in Birmingham and elsewhere.

If I could find someone to sell me a house at 2004 levels ( as per the land registry ) I would buy. The land registry index in Northampton has been around March-June level for about 2 years. Asking prices of decent houses are at 2007+ levels and sometimes sit there for 2 years before selling, but some egyt always seems to come along and buy it based on asking price rather than reality. These are sales prices I've check on the land registry too.

If someone can point me to a decent house at a sensible price I'll re-think my position...until that point I will enjoy the euro crisis collapse and the site of E.A. shops the country over shutting. :lol:

HOLA446

Just months ago, "experts" on TV were saying Spain "couldn`t " be bailed, now they are saying Spain "will have to" be bailed. We are at the tipping point, this is it. As we type Cameron is on his knees begging Merkel to put German taxpayers behind this absolute mess. Anyone thinking the SHTF moment won`t rip the UK a new one is going to be disappointed IMO. This is possibly the worst of all times to buy a house. QE and other shenanigans are not really going to help those who pay too much for property IMO. Two of the triggers long discussed on here are unemployment and interest rates, and when the euro fires really get going the first thing to blow over here will be more unemployment, then higher rates when the markets start looking seriously at us?

Edited by dances with sheeple

HOLA447

Same as purple slug really, Keep an eye on Rm and Zoopla.

Building that deposit all the time, Although since starting a limited company last August I'm not going to be able to get a mortgage anyway for a year or two.

Seems to me that asking prices are increasing as well. A house popped up yesterday, largeish 3 bed semi, not really a desirable location but you'd need good local knowledge to know that, last sold in 2007 for 183K now they want 212K no discernable modifications, decor looks like its been there a while. :angry:

HOLA448

If someone can point me to a decent house at a sensible price I'll re-think my position...until that point I will enjoy the euro crisis collapse and the site of E.A. shops the country over shutting. :lol:

:rolleyes:http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=434832

0.83 Acres.

A few minutes from the city all for £150,000 British pounds.

Where would you get value like that in the UK?

HOLA449

Yes. Had an offer of 15% off (£50K) accepted but amazingly it was the wife who wobbled and we withdrew from the sale.

Ditto that. Viewed one house since moving into this rental Aug 2010 and that mirrors what happened to us June 2011.

A house has come on that we offered £225k for in 2006 that sold for £227k. They are asking for £275k. I'd have it for £250k but she doesn't want to live there.

HOLA4410

I moved abroad for the foreseeable future last year, although I had given up any realistic hope of buying a place before that. My wife owns a flat (almost outright) and together with my savings we will hopefully buy a house and some land overseas in the next couple of years. Quite frankly, the ludicrous British housing market can go **** itself. I am pretty sure now that prices will never seriously drop, or be allowed to drop, in the UK. It would be like a cure so strong that it killed the patient. :P

+1. Moved overseas due to UK house prices and found that the grass is greener. Doubt I’ll be back.

Our distant ancestors dispersed due to unfavourable factors at their point of origin. I’m just continuing that proud tradition.

Evolve or watch day time TV.

HOLA4411

Just months ago, "experts" on TV were saying Spain "couldn`t " be bailed, now they are saying Spain "will have to" be bailed. We are at the tipping point. As we type Cameron is on his knees begging Merkel to put German taxpayers behind this absolute mess. Anyone thinking the SHTF moment won`t rip the UK a new one is going to be disappointed IMO. This is possibly the worst of all times to buy a house. QE and other shenanigans are not really going to help those who pay too much for property IMO.

I can't see Germany letting their currency and European trade collapse. It is just a game of brinkmanship between Spain and Germany.

This time Spain will win because Germany has more to lose in this little game.

Sit back, relax and grab the popcorn.

RE: the UK house prices will remain high so that the bankers can earn their bonuses and the boomers can collect their rent.

HOLA4412

I can't see Germany letting their currency and European trade collapse. It is just a game of brinkmanship between Spain and Germany.

RE: the UK house prices will remain high so that the bankers can earn their bonuses and the boomers can collect their rent.

What can they sell to people who are scavenging in skips, forming neighbourhood groups to physically stop bank balifs taking back their property? rubber gloves, bats? It`s over, there is too much debt, we need default and reset before any kind of growth or consumption can pick up again. Letting the eurozone go the way economic gravity wants it to would be a start?

Edited by dances with sheeple

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

5073.jpg

A 500bhp Renault Magnum.

Cracking idea Harry.

Best of luck.

HOLA4415

I think most bonus is now skimmed from QE? + Hard to collect much top end rent when the sheeple don`t have their "plastic" any more? Like I say, don`t buy, or borrow to "buy" a house just now.

HOLA4416

Why are you renting instead of buying it, if it is value?

Actually I had a house lined up and decided to pull out because I thought it would be nice to try before I buy.

Moving to a new country and cementing myself there by buying a house might not be such a great idea if I find that I don't like it. Afterall going on holiday to an area a few times and living there is very different.

+ Irish prices fell 15% last 12 months so I might get a better deal which will pay the next 12 months rent. All swings and roundabouts really.

If all is well then in 12 months time we shall be the mortgage free owners of a moderate house like the one in the link.

HOLA4417

I think most bonus is now skimmed from QE? + Hard to collect much top end rent when the sheeple don`t have their "plastic" any more? Like I say, don`t buy, or borrow to "buy" a house just now.

I got to the point where I couldn't give a damn about bankers and where UK prices are going anymore, it is not worth the stress during my short existence.

HOLA4418

5073.jpg

A 500bhp Renault Magnum.

Just read Graham Coster's : A Thousand Miles from Nowhere. Travelling with long-distance truckers in Europe and the USA. Bit of a busman's holiday for you, but a really good read. Made me want a Kenworth.

HOLA4419

Actually I had a house lined up and decided to pull out because I thought it would be nice to try before I buy.

Moving to a new country and cementing myself there by buying a house might not be such a great idea if I find that I don't like it. Afterall going on holiday to an area a few times and living there is very different.

+ Irish prices fell 15% last 12 months so I might get a better deal which will pay the next 12 months rent. All swings and roundabouts really.

If all is well then in 12 months time we shall be the mortgage free owners of a moderate house like the one in the link.

I suppose you mean it might be value then depending on other things.

Anyway good luck and I think you are doing the right thing looking somewhere else.

HOLA4420

Like so many others, I have a deposit and am willing to buy, but am unwilling to pay the stupid asking prices being bandied around at the moment. Especially for houses that are seriously flawed (e.g. anything new build or right on top of a train line or smack next to the local chav school or on a really noisy main road).

I did put in an offer on a place a few months back. Advertised at £240k, but worth nowhere near that much. A nearly identical house on the same road had a double garage (compared to this place's single), a bigger garden and was in better decorative order sold for £197k in June 2011. I was still a bit green at the time so put in an initial offer for £210k, which was immediately rejected and I then upped it to £215k which they took the weekend to think about before rejecting saying they wanted £230k. It's still on rightmove, but the asking price has been reduced to £229k and it's going nowhere anywhere fast.

Actually I'm rather glad I didn't get it on reflection because thinking about it now the rooms were all quite small and it did need quite a bit of building work doing to get it up to scratch. Not your usual wallpaper change/painting - real building work like the drive needed resurfacing and a dodgy extension really needed rebuilding, plus some new windows needed putting in as well as a new bathroom.

Naturally the vendor didn't want to "give it away" and had fixated on the estate agent's inflated valuation as the "real" value of the house. She wasn't even buying anywhere after moving out - she'd been given a huge barn and some farm land and was going to do a bit of conversion on it to live there. Plus she'd lived in the current house for at least 15 years so it probably cost her about £60k to buy and she'd probably paid off about £30k of the mortgage, so could easily afford to price it sensibly and still walk away with a huge pile of unearned cash in her pocket.

HOLA4421

To answer the OP: no, not got plans to buy. And can't ever see it happening in this country.

The unofficial thoughts in this household involve saving and buying cheaply abroad at some point in later life. e.g. Once I'm on the career scrapheap and UK pensions have finally collapsed, it'll be time to learn how to grow vegetables I guess.

I moved abroad for the foreseeable future last year, although I had given up any realistic hope of buying a place before that.

+1. Moved overseas due to UK house prices and found that the grass is greener. Doubt I’ll be back.

Can I ask where you both moved to?

HOLA4422

Anyone who has not yet emigrated or dropped out is a bull in my peculiar opinion.

Anyone who actively wishes to either rent or buy in this country is either mentally retarded or too much already invested in the whole house of cards.

HOLA4423

To answer the OP: no, not got plans to buy. And can't ever see it happening in this country.

The unofficial thoughts in this household involve saving and buying cheaply abroad at some point in later life. e.g. Once I'm on the career scrapheap and UK pensions have finally collapsed, it'll be time to learn how to grow vegetables I guess.

Can I ask where you both moved to?

Austin = Hungary and Captain Cavey = Canada

HOLA4424

The unofficial thoughts in this household involve saving and buying cheaply abroad at some point in later life. e.g. Once I'm on the career scrapheap and UK pensions have finally collapsed, it'll be time to learn how to grow vegetables I guess

This is tempting as we have land abroad but we want to raise our kids here

HOLA4425