HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I remember seeing an article in the Telegraph before Christmas which celebrated the fact that a deeper fall in economic activity in Q4 lessened the chances of a technical recession.

This is true, because if activity fell by 0.3% in Q4 2011 and flatlined in Q1 2012, a 'technical recession' would be avoided - there are not two successive quarters of 'negative growth' (incidentally, a stupied phrase). The tenor of the article was that a fall of 0.3% then a static quarter of 0% movement was better than a fall of 0.2% in Q4 and a fall of 0.1% in Q1 2012, even though they end up at exactly the same place, and involve exactly the same amount of economic activity.

I bet we get several commentators saying exactly the same thing now, without realising how absurd this view is. People obsess far too much about headline GDP figures and technical recessions, without thinking about why they are measuring GDP in the first place, or what it represents in the real world.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

From the Grauniad:

: Here's the details of this morning's UK GDP data for the final three months of 2011.
Services sector output: fell by 0.1% quarter-on-quarter,
Industrial production: fell by 1.3% q/q (inc. a 0.7% drop in manufacturing output)
Construction industry: fell by 0.2% q/q
Consumer spending rose by 0.4% q/q
Exports grew by 1.6% q/q
Households' real disposable income fell 0.2% q/q.
This all added up to a 0.3% decline in overall GDP.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/mar/28/eurozone-debt-crisis-mario-monti-almost-over?commentpage=3#block-12' rel="external nofollow">
: The most startling fact in this morning's UK GDP data is that
household disposable income fell by 1.2% during 2011
. [Ouch!]
According to the Office for National Statistics, that's the biggest annual decline since 1977.
With the UK economy managing only meagre growth through the last year (GDP grow by just 0.7% during the 12 months), it underlines the weak position of the UK, even though it is likely to dodge a double-dip recession.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
The tenor of the article was that a fall of 0.3% then a static quarter of 0% movement was better than a fall of 0.2% in Q4 and a fall of 0.1% in Q1 2012, even though they end up at exactly the same place, and involve exactly the same amount of economic activity.

Not EXACTLY but close enough! :P

Remember that 0.1% fall in Q1 2012 would be 0.1% of a smaller amount.

HOLA4419

Not EXACTLY but close enough! :P

Remember that 0.1% fall in Q1 2012 would be 0.1% of a smaller amount.

I didn't think that was worth saying, but good, important point well made.

A 0.3% fall followed by a quarter with no change would leave the GDP at 99.7000% of its starting point.

By striking contrast, a 0.2% fall, followed by a 0.1% fall in the next quarter would leave GDP at 99.7002% of its starting point.

I apologise for any confusion that my first post might have caused, and your reply in no way underlines my initial point about the way people treat tiny changes in GDP figures.

HOLA4420

I didn't think that was worth saying, but good, important point well made.

A 0.3% fall followed by a quarter with no change would leave the GDP at 99.7000% of its starting point.

By striking contrast, a 0.2% fall, followed by a 0.1% fall in the next quarter would leave GDP at 99.7002% of its starting point.

I apologise for any confusion that my first post might have caused, and your reply in no way underlines my initial point about the way people treat tiny changes in GDP figures.

Did anyone else hear the new description for 'double dip recession' that has obviously become a worrying phrase for TPTB?

Instead, we now are at risk of 'zig-zag patterns of growth' FFS. Is it just me that hates this sematic manipulation?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Meanwhile, now that Osborne's 0.8% rise in inflation caused by his VAT hike have dropped out he attemps to repeat the exercise with his rise on pasties.

[/url]

It's not the oil price you need to worry about it's the Chancellor!

https://twitter.com/#%21/faisalislam' rel="external nofollow">

HOLA4423

Did anyone else hear the new description for 'double dip recession' that has obviously become a worrying phrase for TPTB?

Instead, we now are at risk of 'zig-zag patterns of growth' FFS. Is it just me that hates this sematic manipulation?

WHAT!!! our economies going to go back in time? :lol::lol:

HOLA4424

Meanwhile, now that Osborne's 0.8% rise in inflation caused by his VAT hike have dropped out he attemps to repeat the exercise with his rise on pasties.

It's not the oil price you need to worry about it's the Chancellor!

******ing hell, didn't realise pies were such a large part of the economy. No wonder were such fat ******s.

HOLA4425